• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Nebulizer Recommendations

Slightly off topic, but I know many of our kids have asthma as well. I'm planning on purchasing a new nebulizer compressor and I'm looking for suggestions. Our current one is old and just isn't working as well as it used to. It was given to us by the hospital and I'm not sure it was intended for long term use anyway. So if you have any recommendations please post! Portability is a plus because inhalers just don't work as well for A.

my little penguin

Staff member
I know Nebs are used for little kids due to the child's ability to cooperate
But most studies I have seen have shown that aerochamber a tend to give better results in terms of numbers .
The nebs give a psychological calming effect ( noise must etc..)
That said aerochamber with masks can be used as young as 6 months old.
How old was she when she last used the neb?
Did you use proper technique with the aerochamber ?
There is a video
I will find the link
Inhalers used without a holding chamber are 40% less effective than either neb or /aerochamber .

Neither DH nor any of my kiddos have ever had a neb at home even as toddlers just chambers .

I will look for the link for you

Yes, she uses a spacer and has known how to properly use one for the last 5 years. It simply isn't as effective for her for several reasons. The mist from the nebulizer thins her secretions which makes it easier for her to expel the secretions. She sometimes needs saline via nebulizer for this as well. Also, in the middle of a coughing fit (which is what her flares look like) a nebulizer is far easier to use. The mist also moistens and soothes her airways which tend to become more inflamed with violent coughing. Bottom line is that her Pulmonologist says she needs one and we have noticed that it is more helpful for her when she's ill. I was hoping someone here could recommend a good one but if not that's okay.

Grace needs a new one also. I'm hoping to get a smaller one that maybe has a battery back up for travel.

Her Qvar and Symbicort are thru a spacer but her Albuterol during the worst of her attacks are given by nebulizer. Her Allergist is all for it.
The Saline I've never heard of. How does the saline come (bottle, capsule or....)
Do you mix it with the asthma med?

Farmwife - She has a prescription for the saline. It comes in small vials, like the albuterol. I think it is commonly used in CF patients. A doesn't have typical asthma, and what works for my other daughter (that has classic asthma) doesn't work as well for her. During a flare, A gets thick mucus in her lungs and coughing it all up can be very exhausting. Could be related to her immune deficiency and at some point we may investigate further. In the meantime just doing what works.

Thanks for explaining. Grace has more of the dry cough as where my asthma is more of a wet cough. I always do better after a shower. :)

A sometimes gets a dry, tight cough, which from what I understand means constriction of the airways. But her more common issue is this wet, productive cough that sounds awful. She's actually never had a typical asthma attack.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
We don’t have Asthma issues at our end but most of the kids I have seen on the kids ward with CF use the Pari nebulisers that mlp linked to. Both the family and portable one.

@Fw: It is not uncommon for asthmatics to use saline nebs when they have a cold. It is rarely used with Ventolin nebs but rather alternating with it or just the saline alone as a way of loosening mucous and making the cough more productive.

Dusty. xxx