Share Facebook

06-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #331
closedingirl

My mini rant is people who take stuff from the fridge that's mine and eat/drink it. Ugh. I had it happen last night and when I said, "Who said you could drink my fruit punch" he turned it around on me being selfish. I'm sorry but I have no money and my fiance bought that for me to last the next few days until my EBT is filled.
06-06-2011, 01:34 PM   #332
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Closedingirl - That would bother me too. Even with friends, I always show the courtesy of asking before I use something, unless it was stated previously that I was welcome to. I don't understand when people feel entitled to things like that. In college, I had that happen a few times with some of my roommates. Thankfully, we each had mini fridges in our bedrooms that I just started keeping my personal items in that I didn't want others to take rather than putting it in the communal fridge in the kitchen.
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
06-08-2011, 04:24 AM   #333
beth

My Support Groups:
Why me, do I go on about me... well sometimes because this life gets me down. That's why I'm taking antidepressants, they help some otherwise I'd be back in bed all the time not going 'woe is me' but because I'm plain frigging knackered. It takes energy to fight and a positiveness that just isn't there to call up. Great if your kid can do it, or your neighbour, your elderly aunt, or you. Yeah things could be worse, for someone else, but I'm not there, I'm here, and my life is different to yours, it's my experience, it isn't yours. So, please, don't tell me how I should experience my life or I might just be tempted to give you the whole lot.
06-08-2011, 05:28 AM   #334
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I felt like CRAP for 3 days after that danged massive headache Sat night.....actaully feel kind of human today.....

BUT - I had an interview for a transfer position yesterday, had a headache still and may have flubbed it due to not being able to concentrate! aaarrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
06-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #335
lulu2

My Support Groups:
Pasobuff - I'm sure your interview went well regardless, my experience of being sick during things like that is it doesnt actually affect you as much as you think it will! Best of luck for it; I'm sure you kicked ass!!

My mini vent for today (after having the most AWESOME grad ball weekend ever btw) is that we're out of money :-( we've had so much to pay for recently with the Ball, bills, moving house (deposits, advance rent etc etc) that we're totally out now and it's 2 weeks till payday :-S. Not quite sure what we're gonna do..... STRESS

Currently LOVING my job!!
Currently NOT loving my crohns!!

26 yrs old.
Currently taking: prednisolone 30mg/day, Azathioprine 25mg/day then 50mg in 2 weeks (well actually I've temporarily wimped out of this) 8g pentasa a day, folic acid and various cardiac meds.

Any advice I give must never ever ever replace the advice from your own doctor and care givers. They know far better than I do!
06-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #336
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
thanks lulu...I actually just sent my Chief the following email - not that I'm sucking up or anything.....

Chief –

I just wanted to say thank you for the opportunity to meet yesterday and discuss the OPWDD position and transfer opportunity. I do have to apologize for not being more enthusiastic yesterday – I have been battling a headache for 4 days now (waiting on more testing) and wasn’t feeling my best yesterday. I do look forward to seriously being considered for one of the positions – I feel that I would be an asset to the program, it sounds like a challenging and also fulfilling type of work that will be done and something that I would enjoy putting 110% of my time and effort into to help make it successful.

I look forward to hearing back from you regarding this position.
I WAS going to mini-vent about the MRI not being aproved, BUT I got a call from my doctors office about 10 minutes ago with the approval - so in about 10 minutes I'm OUTTA HERE and on my way. Already changed out of uniform to comfy clothes - although I know I'll have to change tehre (I think).....it is an OPEN MRI from what I understand too...should be interesting!
06-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #337
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Lulu, I know the feeling! I've got bills on top of bills too. It's so stressful!

My mini-vent (kind of a big vent actually) is that my brother has been driving me crazy lately. It's like talking to someone I don't know. Okay, here's some backstory. My brother was discharged from the air force last summer and didn't have anywhere to live. My dad said that if my brother moved back in with him, that he'd either kill brother or brother would drive him to his grave. They do not get along and just cannot live together. So, I have a 3 bedroom house and it's just hubby and me and the pets, so I offered brother our guest bedroom for as long as he needed. We thought it was just going to be a few months but it's been almost a year now. Brother pays rent to us every week and has been a fine housemate, up until the past couple of months.

I honestly don't know what caused the weird personality change. Brother has struggled with depression his whole life and he also smokes a lot of weed. I don't know if either of those are responsible for this or not. But lately, I just cannot talk to him! For example, the other day he got up at 11 AM which is odd for him because he usually stays up very late and sleeps until like 2 PM. So I asked him if he had to work early and if that was the reason for him being awake at the crack of noon. He got a weird look on his face and said, "Work? What is work?" Like he was trying to be philosophical about it? And just the other day, he and I and my mom were putting together plans to all get together this coming weekend. So I told him where & when. And he was like, "I'm not a time traveler. I don't live in the future. I am in the now. I can't tell you what I will be doing in the future because I cannot know that. I have autonomy." (Something like that anyway - autonomy and mastery are his two favorite words lately - I call them his Bull*** words because he just sounds like he is talking BS!)

The worst, though, is whenever my illness is mentioned. He starts telling me what I should & shouldn't do to get better. Like, he keeps telling me I should exercise (I already do, not because he tells me but because it's part of my physical therapy for my arthritis). And whenever I complain about a symptom, instead of him saying oh that's too bad or whatever, he'll say "And how does that make you feel?" Like he's frigging trying to analyze me! I said, it feels like this! And I slammed a door in his face, and then I burst into tears. It's like he doesn't care about anything anymore and is a completely different person. It's been super stressful on me lately, I can't take much more of robot/crazy brother. I know it's not just me this is affecting, my husband has noticed this lately too and my friend was over the other day when brother started haranguing me and I just told him he's talking BS again and walked away - my friend was like, oh my gosh, that was awful, are you okay?

So, what would you guys do? Kick him out? I think he needs help, I'm wondering if the drugs or the depression are doing this to him. But I don't think he'll admit he's got a problem or accept help. I don't want to enable this to continue - if he's on his own, and he's depressed, it might get even worse though. I just don't know! What on earth do you do when a close relative suddenly has a personality change like this? I should mention, when he's not working he spends about 95% of his time in his room, on his computer. He doesn't seem to have friends, and he compulsively cleans a LOT lately too. That's another part of the personality change, he was always kind of messy before.

Sorry, that was a long vent. But I think I need some help here with my brother. Help?

Edited to add: Lately he's also been saying that "an unexamined life is not worth living" which is apparently why he's been so analytical about certain things. A few years ago he was very depressed and made some vague threats about suicide. I obviously REALLY don't want it to come to that. He hasn't threatened lately but if he's depressed he's probably had some thoughts. I just don't know. This should probably be in its own thread since it's not a mini-vent at all but a big old vent and problem!
06-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #338
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
Cat,
Have you asked him if he is depressed/feeling low?
and have you told him he's pissing you off and if he doesn't stop it you will need to reconsider his staying with you?

On Humira every 7 days, intermittent iv iron, regular blood transfusions :faint:
On TPN since March 2016.
06-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #339
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I can't say this in normal society but I know you guys can understand... I went to the bathroom last night and when I wiped it was mucus - it looked like I had blown my nose (if snot were brown). Gross.
06-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #340
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Cat - That is really rough. It can be so hard to reach people and get them the help they need. I hope you can work something out. *big hug*
06-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #341
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
Diesandhur,
It would be worse if you blew your nose and poo came out!!
06-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #342
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Little Miss H: That's the hard part, lately I can't even ask him a simple question without getting a weird non-answer (like the "Work? What is work?" thing - couldn't even get him to tell me if he was going to work or not!). But I'm sure he is depressed, nobody who is happy spends all their time smoking pot and on the computer and sleeping in. And I'm also sure he knows that I'm unhappy with the way he talks to me - I've told him several times to his face that he's talking BS to me, and I slammed the door in his face that one time as well.

But the next time it happens, I will spell everything out clearly - I will say something like, "Bro, are you depressed? I have noticed a change in your personality and I am worried about you. And, even if you are depressed, you are not to talk to me like this in my own house." Does that sound okay? Or should I say it differently? Maybe I could say it in his language: "Your verbal mastery lately has left me feeling not very autonomous..."

If I do end up having to kick him out, maybe he'll grow up a little. He's nearly 26 and still living with his big sis and acting like a (weird) big baby.
06-08-2011, 04:13 PM   #343
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Cat - I'm really sorry you are having to deal with this. Something peculiar is definitely going on.

I think, I would first try to have a calm and sincere heart to heart with him. Without getting threatening, let him know his behavior recently is upsetting and that you've gone out of your way to take him in. Try your best to address the issues honestly but sensitively.

If that does not go over well, I would contact a professional for advice. If it is depression, then even rational conversations may not be of any benefit to you or him.

As far as it being a possible drug problem, I would have the same advice and suggest contacting someone professional for advice. Unfortunately, even the most loving and well meaning people are powerless against both depression and drug use. It is easy to avoid confrontation and the possibility of kicking out a loved one because of the fear of their problem getting worse. But, letting them stay with you and continue the erratic, hurtful behavior can be just as damaging to them and the people they have to live with.

Depression and drug use are complicated, so I don't claim to have the answers. I'm hoping it's just some kind of weird funk he's gotten into that he'll get out of. But, given his background, I'd probably be worried it was something more serious. With depression you don't want to push people away and with drug use sometimes you have to handle it with tough love. I think a professional would have the best advice for your particular situation.

But, you could try out the heart-to-heart first and gauge his response. Might give you a little more insight on which path to take in dealing with him.
06-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #344
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Marisa. I don't know if I can afford a professional, but I'll see what kind of services we can get around here as far as someone for him to talk to or to mediate between us. I have no idea if brother has insurance so I don't know what services he's covered for, if any. (He works as a food delivery boy, and during busy times he works more than 40 hours per week, but during slow times he works much less than that, so I have no idea if he's actually considered full-time or not or whether he's got insurance through his work.) I'll see what I can come up with, because I think you're right - this is too much for me to handle and a professional should be involved somehow!

I guess I'm still hoping that it's just a "phase" he's going through that eventually he'll get sick of. He does this sometimes, tries out different personality traits (I think he never quite grew out of his teenage years and is still sort of trying to "find himself) although it's never been this bad or weird before. I guess I haven't mentioned yet that there's a lot of obsessive-compulsive disorder in my dad's side of the family. My dad and grandma are both pretty bad, my grandma is a hand-washing fanatic and both of them are borderline hoarders (my dad actually has a trail that you walk through in his bedroom because there's so much stuff piled up in there - I say borderline hoarder because it doesn't extend to the whole house though). I think the cleaning thing my brother has been doing lately may be related to OCD. Maybe the drug use and/or the depression triggered it in his brain, or something. I have a touch of OCD as well, and I try to keep it under control as best I can. I don't want to become a hoarder or germophobic like my dad & grandma. My brother hasn't exhibited any hoarding behavior, but the fact that he's been cleaning the house like crazy lately worries me too. I guess there's probably a lot of complicated stuff going on with him!

Sorry, this vent has gone on too long and I'm probably boring everybody! I'll figure it out, and my brother is an adult and has to move out on his own at some point and take care of himself. After all, "autonomy" is one of his favorite words.
06-08-2011, 05:47 PM   #345
SarahAnne

My Support Groups:
I am too tired to cook dinner, and I'm probably not going to eat anyway.
It's been raining all day and my daughter won't give me ONE SECOND of peace, all I want to do is take a nap.
I threw up after I ate dinner last night and I'm so scared that it's going to happen again.
I have to have an abdominal ultrasound on Friday.
I've lost so much weight that none of my clothes fit and I don't have the money to buy new ones, spending all our money on meds and procedures.
I want a coke so bad, but I can't tolerate carbonated beverages right now.
4 procedures in March/April 2010 to remove a kidney stone
Dx'd Dyshidrotic Eczema April 2011
Dx'd Pancreatitis July 2011
2nd bowel resection 10/12/11 - I have 130cm of small intestines left!
Dx'd Chronic gastritis April 2012

Currently taking:
Cholestyramine powder 1-2x daily
Remicade 5mg/kg every 8 wks
Vitamin D3, B12
06-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #346
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
was having a pretty good afternoon....got the MRI done (anyone know how to read those things- I have a copy here!).....was out mowing some grass before getting ready to start the grill - hubby was supposed to be home @6pm, my PLAN was to start the griill right about then, and cook the chicken breasts for dinner @7pm....

WELL - hubby gets home and is PISSED OFF that I didn't have the chicken on already!....not sure what but crawled uop HIS ass today - I tried to tell him that if he had called when he was about 15 minutes out to give me a good time frame, I would have started the grill then - OTHERWISE my plan was to put the food on @615 and have it done by 7pm (we often eat around then!).....he can't get it through his thick head that I can actually cook chicken breast in less than an hour on the grill!

So - I popped a couple of headache pills, and to hell with the warning on the bottle- I want to SLEEP so a cocktail for dessert!
06-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #347
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I have a much more light-hearted vent today, I promise.

My mini-vent today is that I wish I could eat normal foods! Whenever there's a big meeting at work, they always bring in food and I'm always offered some of the food, and it seems like I can never eat it. Last time, they did a taco bar. Meat, spice, and dairy all kill me, so I stayed away from that. And today they've got mini sandwiches, soup, and salad. The sandwiches all have veggies that I can't have like celery, the soup is cream-based (dairy), and the salad has nuts in it. So I am sitting here at my desk eating a cookie (which tastes horrible by the way) as it was the only thing that I could see that wouldn't affect me too badly. I feel like a loser, a weirdo, and like I'm not "being a team player" or whatever. It's totally not anyone's fault, I don't expect them to order food that fits my diet by any means, but I do feel like I've failed in some way for not being able to eat with the rest of my co-workers. It's amazing all the ways that this illness can be isolating, huh?
06-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #348
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
You should ask them next time they get food in is it possible to get some....eg plain chicken on White bread with no butter or whatever you can have. I'm sure they'd be happy to know what to get so they can feel like they are including you. I know my work colleagues feel u comfortable when they eat around me. I have told them it's fine and I don't mind, and take myself a little pack up...but they would cater for me if I told them what to get. I'd rather take my own stuff so I can be sure it's ok.
06-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #349
closedingirl

Dreamtwilight: If I had the room in my bedroom, I'd do that. We have had a long standing war on people eating other people's stuff. I live in a house with five other people.
06-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #350
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
I still haven't heard anything about the transfer position....I know interviews were closing today - and the promotions were announced a little while ago.....I WANT TO KNOW!!!!!
06-09-2011, 02:48 PM   #351
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
Good luck paso! Hope you hear soon.
06-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #352
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Little Miss H, I also pack my own food to eat at work. I don't want to put anybody out or make them eat not-delicious bland food that I can eat, so I don't usually ask for them to include something for me. Most of my co-workers know that I've been ill for awhile and have a lot of problems with certain foods, and they do try to be accommodating, and I'm afraid that if I speak up and ask for something specific then they'll think that I'm snubbing their efforts at already being accommodating, or something like that.

Can I do another mini-vent today? It is c-c-c-cold in the office today! Yesterday it was like 95 degrees out, so hot, and they had the air conditioning cranked up. It's only about 65 degrees out today, much cooler, but the AC is still set on high! I'm just about to go make a cup of hot chocolate, brrr!
06-10-2011, 11:22 AM   #353
SarahAnne

My Support Groups:
My house is a wreck and I haven't been feeling well enough to do anything except keep everyone in clean underwear, and maybe unload the dishwasher occasionally. My bathroom is in need of a major cleaning....I've spent all morning in there. Jokes on me though, can't get much cleaning done when I can't get off the toilet.

Seriously! How can I possibly go 6 times in a half-hour? I feel like I'm doing a colonoscopy prep today
06-10-2011, 11:52 AM   #354
Rebecca85

I have a stomach bug, so I'm just spending half hour on the toilet at a time!

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
06-10-2011, 12:22 PM   #355
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
feel better soon Rebecca!!!!!

Well - the interviews are actually done TODAY!.....so probably won't hear anything this afternoon....more likely Monday or Tuesday....

Now of course my head HURTS again today - worse than yesterday but no where near as bad as Sunday.....
06-10-2011, 12:27 PM   #356
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
Oh no rebecca, hope you feel better soon and its just a bug :-0
MOre good luck to you paso!
06-10-2011, 06:17 PM   #357
DougUte

My Support Groups:
I just got an email from my neurologists assistant..... " Doug, Dr. James did receive your sleep study report and the results are that you have central sleep apnea."

This is the third life altering diagnosis I have had in 2 years. Essential Tremor, Crohn's, and now Sleep Apnea...... What else can go wrong!!!!!!!

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
06-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #358
StarGirrrrl

My Support Groups:
My mini-vent is after months and months of the same few bland, boring foods, I have been branching out with a high success rate (D not great but not bad enough to stop). But I have never felt iller. I do not put it down to the food; every few weeks I seem to get that little bit worse.
Oh the irony!
2014 IDA & low B12.

June 2014 admitted to Hospital 3 nights as emergency transfused 2 units of blood. Dangerous case of anaemia.
Caught by pure chance!
Cause currently unknown but suspected CD.

Waiting on blood & stool results from January.

Hoping to stop anaemia treatment soon & lower B12 daily dose!
06-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #359
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I am hoping that everybody is feeling better. Can you tell me a little more about sleep apnea, Doug? My husband's doctor is suspecting that he might have that. I have many questions. I probably should google it.

Pentasa 2x500mg (4 times a day)
Zofran (as needed for nausea)
Ginger Capsules (for Nausea)
Multivitamin
Zoloft 150 mg
Ranitidine 150 mg (2 times a day)
Entocort 3 mg (3 capsules by mouth for 8 weeks, then tapering to 2 capsules for three months)
06-11-2011, 02:58 AM   #360
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
If you think you may have sleep apnoea then complete the Epworth Sleep score- the higher the score , the more likely you have it.