Share Facebook

05-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #241
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
My husband's office is the same way...except my poor husband got the short end of the stick and somehow ended up in the make-shift closet/office that has no windows!! It's so hot in there. He keep the fluorescent lights off with only a floor lamp unless a student drops in and he has a fan on for extra circulation.

So, he's sweating in a dark cave while everyone else is bundled up in shawls, sweaters, whatever enjoying their scenic views of the campus! Haha
January 2014 - adopted a mostly Paleo diet
May 2015 - still in remission!

Currently Taking
Humira - 40mg/week
Imuran - 125 mg/day
Calcium magnesium citrate
Fermented cod liver oil/butter blend
Culturelle probiotics
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Biotin
Allegra
05-13-2011, 04:54 PM   #242
Bren

Andi- I am 46 and (shhhh!) - no gray!

Julie- Yes, vacationitis can and will kill. I am with you... I NEED TO GET AWAY. My daughter is begging me to visit and it is getting real tempting to take time off without pay and head to New Orleans.

Everytime I make beauty appointments something always comes up and I have to cancel. Gads, I look like a hag.

My mini vent of the day----I just want my hamster wheel to stop and let me off. It has been a year of one thing after another.

TGIF!!!!!!

Hugs!
Wendy
Turning 44 and PLENTY grey. Giggle using those majic bottles but it creaps back again.

I am working through the summer vacation to go to South Africa in Dec, i am SO looking forward.

Tsha, can do with a slower pace too hey. Life has been tossing those curve balls at a heck of a pace.

my mini rant: my best friend told me today that she has brest cancer & i am too far to give her a power hug... hold her hand or be there when she wakes up... :-(
Strength.
05-13-2011, 06:54 PM   #243
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
@25 - thanks! Fortunately for me (so far!) my knee is more of an annoyance than any super bad pain...although, I DO have4 a high threshold for pain, so what for me is an annoyance might be bad for someone else! lol.....

When I had the last surgery, it wasn't too invasive - it was arthroscopic, so only 3 small incisions....

I'm not the greatest with phisiotherapy either hehe.....and yes, I am on my feet a lot - and do stairs, but am just taking it easy - thankfully many times I can take an elevator instead - BUT (and here is the next mini vent!).....stairs are SO much better as I want to lose a few pounds! grrrr

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
05-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #244
RFarmer

I'm going to post a mini vent.

My life is going good. My butt hurts, but that's just the way it is. What makes me mad is my morning cramps. Every morning, without fail, I get wretched cramps.

My life would be so much more pleasant without them. It's like everything is getting better, except my mornings are getting worse.
05-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #245
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
My mini-vent is that I'm in pain. I feel like my gastritis may be making a comeback as I've got higher-up stomach pain, my usual pain is in the LRQ. D, nausea, cramps, the whole shebang is happening to me today. Not fun. I have a dentist appointment tomorrow and at this rate I don't know if I'll be able to sit in the dental chair for a cleaning without having to get up a few times to use the bathroom. Urgh!
05-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #246
25times

Mini-vent for today:
I feel like crap. I ate a pizza sub yesterday. Half way through I noticed it was considerably spicier than I remember. I stopped eating it and started to feel kind of nauseas. A few hours later, dinner was ready. Half way through my plate, I had to run to the bathroom. It felt like someone gave me a bengay enema! Holy shit that was painful. Ever since then I've been feeling like absolute crap. Nauseas, stomach pain (everywhere!) bloating, diarrhea, heartburn.. I thought I was getting better =(
It feels like I'm always gonna be sick. It makes me want to give up.
Ovarian tumor (getting removed!)
Possible multiple sclerosis diagnosis

Remicade (With Benadryl)
Imuran
Tylenol 4
Zofran/Maxeran/Gravol
Baclofen
Nexium
Seroquel
05-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #247
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Good luck with your dentist appointment Cat. I go to mine on the 25th. They need to put in 5 fillings. Crohn's and the medications are ruining my teeth. I never used to have problems with them. Ugly Prednisone!

I'm sorry Samantha! I can relate. I used to enjoy meatball subs, but I started developing a problem with my gallbladder, years ago. I had many of the symptoms that you have described: nausea, stomach pain, bloating, diarrhea, and heartburn. I felt pretty sick after after treating myself to the meatball sub. Ugh! To this day, I can't eat them. The memory of the nausea and pain are imprinted on my mind.

My CD is under control for the time, but when I flare-up, I still feel like giving up. Eating is supposed to be pleasurable. Crohn's robs us all of something very basic and satisfying that so many other take for granted.

Pentasa 2x500mg (4 times a day)
Zofran (as needed for nausea)
Ginger Capsules (for Nausea)
Multivitamin
Zoloft 150 mg
Ranitidine 150 mg (2 times a day)
Entocort 3 mg (3 capsules by mouth for 8 weeks, then tapering to 2 capsules for three months)
05-17-2011, 01:49 AM   #248
25times

Yeah, I've noticed that I'm developing food phobias. The thought of eating certain foods that might give me problems scares the crap out of me. It sucks because everyone that knows me, knows I looooove food. I love cooking the most complicated meals, but now I can barely eat any of them. Even if I'm not sure it will cause any issues, I still won't eat it. Unless I've smoked a bit of pot. Then I'll eat almost anything, usually with terrible results =(
05-17-2011, 03:46 PM   #249
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa, did you ever find out if you got the job? Keep us posted!

My mini vent today is, well, I'm not quite sure. It's either that my new dentist is inept, or that my previous dentist was trying to rip me off. Let me explain. For years I went to the same dentist. The last couple times I went, he'd tell me that I have a few cavities. I never had any pain, so I told him to just let them go until next time. And the next time I'd have 2 more cavities and I said to just let them go too. I had had this dentist fill cavities in the past and it was expensive, and like I said these didn't hurt, so I let the 5 cavities go.

So, last year that dentist decided to move his practice to another city, and I was referred to a new dental clinic. My first visit with the new dentist was fine, they just said that they got my records from the old dentist so I assumed that they saw that I had 5 cavities but didn't want to do anything about them yet. But, today I had my second appointment with the new dentist, and both he and the hygienist proclaimed that I have no cavities! So, I'm confused. Is my new dentist an idiot and is missing seeing 5 supposed cavities, or was my old dentist trying to rip me off by saying I had cavities when I didn't so that I'd pay money to have them filled?? Neither possibility seems nice, although to me the latter seems both worse and more plausible. I'm considering going to yet another dentist to get a 3rd opinion on the matter. Either I need 5 fillings or I don't need any! I hope that I don't need any, but what if I have 5 cavities that go unnoticed and unfilled for too long and my teeth are irreparably damaged? Argh!
05-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #250
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Cat - Haven't heard anything yet! Getting antsy! They told me I'd probably hear something within a week to a week and a half. So, the earliest I might hear something could be by the end of this week. They want to have the position filled by June 1st, so there's overlap with the girl who's leaving the position so she can train. Fingers crossed!

That is quite an unusual story about your dentists! Perhaps your old dentist considered your 5 cavities cavities because they showed signs of something that could possibly turn into cavities, but technically weren't yet. Does that make any sense? Regardless, it does sound like he was pre-emptively trying to make money off of you, which is really not cool. If I were you, I'd probably seek a 3rd opinion just for peace of mind. I would be worried about irreparable damage too! It would make sense that you DON'T have cavities since you don't experience any pain or sensitivity, but I think i'd want to know for sure! You also don't want to be wasting your money on a dentist that doesn't know what he's looking at!! Haha
05-17-2011, 11:20 PM   #251
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Oh gosh Cat! Your situation sounds familiar to mine. My dentist found 5 cavities. I of course can't see them. To me my teeth look fine. He pointed them out on the computer magnification. They really were cavities. One of the cavities is visible, so I knew that I had at least one. I decided to fix all of them, so that I don't run into more damage which will cost even more down the line. Crowns are expensive. Fillings are bad enough. Good luck with your dental appointment.
05-18-2011, 11:48 AM   #252
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Marisa and Andi. I talked to my husband about the dentist thing, since we go to the same dentist now and we both went to the old dentist as well. Hubby said that at the old dentist, he had more cavities then he ever had before or since. That's my experience too. So we're both thinking that the old dentist was trying to rip us off by saying we had cavities when we didn't. The new dentist seems good and the hygienist at the new dentist told me she's been working there for 29 years so I'm sure she'd recognize one cavity, let alone 5, with all her experience. So, the consensus is that old dentist was probably a con artist and we're glad to be rid of him. Oh, and Andi, you said your cavities were found on computer magnification - new dentist's office is much more high-tech and has that kind of equipment and still didn't find any cavities, whereas old dentist's office didn't have that kind of technology. So again that makes me think old dentist was a ripoff artist!
05-18-2011, 03:37 PM   #253
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Well good riddens to that dentist then! Thank goodness he moved away and you were forced to go to another dentist. Otherwise, you'd STILL be getting ripped off! You should report that guy--maybe save other people from being swindled.
05-18-2011, 03:43 PM   #254
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa, I'm definitely considering reporting that dentist. I wish I had actual hard proof against him though. I wonder if I could write to him and get my dental records from him and have someone look them over for any evidence of fraud. I know what city the dentist moved to so it shouldn't be hard to track him down at his new practice. Hmm, I feel like a detective!
05-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #255
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Couldn't hurt to ask, Cat! I don't think it is uncommon to ask for dental records for your new dentist for continuity of care. Though, if he is shady, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some issue in giving you the files to preserve his reputation.

Haha...let us know what happens if you do decide to get sneaky!
05-18-2011, 10:53 PM   #256
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I agree with Marissa, Cat. That dentist should be reported. He sounds like a fraud. Randy, my brother, used to work as a dental assistant at a public health service hospital. He said that looking at and helping with terrible, really obviously rotten teeth was the norm. Once in a while they would get patients with fairly good teeth that were on the fence for cavities. He said they were either very small, or not obviously decayed. He claims that some of the dentists in that office had differing opinions as to whether it was a cavity or not. Talk about confusing! The dentists always gave the patients a choice of having them filled, or waiting. He claims that there's pros and cons both ways. You could wait and it may not be real cavity. In waiting you would have saved your tooth from needless alteration. On the other hand, it could be a cavity and will just get bigger and more expensive to fix down the road. He did say that if you are not experiencing sensitivity in that tooth (to hot, cold, sweet, or acidic foods) you probably don't have a cavity, or its just worn down enamel and you need to make sure that tooth doesn't develop a cavity.

I trust my brother's advice as he has worked in a dental office and had a lot of training in the dental field. I have two sensitive teeth, so I know that at least two of the five suspect teeth have cavities. I think you are right to get another opinion, and to go with your gut instinct.
05-19-2011, 02:19 AM   #257
vickie_x

mini-vent of today: struggling to do ANYTHING for myself due to having my arm strapped up in a sling with a possible fractured elbow; frustrating when I'm a really independent person usually!

Currently taking: Mercaptopurine 25mg (four times a week), Pentasa 4000mg, Omeprazole 20mg
Previously taken: Mesren MR, Sertraline, Folic Acid, Multivitamin, Azathioprine, Lactulose, Prednisolone, AdCal-D3, Ferrous Sulphate

05-21-2011, 03:46 PM   #258
RFarmer

Mini vent for today: My entire family being a bunch of dumb ass children. I don't care if he's your son, he's a waste of life druggie. I don't care if she's your daughter: you need to parent her, she's turning into a whore. I don't give a shit if his girlfriend wants to come over, I have to go to SCHOOL.

Just shut up, keep the house clean, and stay out of my way.
05-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #259
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Still haven't heard anything back about the job Trying to mentally prepare myself for applying to more jobs, but am just feeling defeated. I'm really hoping to hear a decision today, but am feeling anxious about it!

UPDATE: My husband told me one of his coworkers was able to find out some info on how the hiring process is going for the job I'm waiting to hear about. Apparently the 2 head registrars are at an impasse. Each one basically has a favorite they want to hire and they've yet to come to a decision. So, yeah....scary. She said they're hoping to come to a decision by tomorrow. Obviously it has to come soon. They want the position filled by June 1st! *Fingers crossed*

Last edited by dreamintwilight; 05-24-2011 at 12:21 PM.
05-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #260
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
my mini vents.....my lip hurts from the danged cold sore that popped out over the weekend - but it wasn't a proper cold sore, but the skin still came off!!!!! ugh...

AND - had my remicade yesterday - the nurse got a REALLY good vein - blood everywhere......now I have a nice 2 inch diameter bruise on my arm.....AND my lower back/hips are killing me today!

oh - almost forgot - went to the ladies room at work, noticed a RIP in my uniform pants....thankfully it was small, and on the side (near a pocket) - AND I had a pair of regular pants with me as I had a doctor appt this morning and changed at work....

WHAT ELSE will go wrong today?!?!?!?!?!?
05-24-2011, 11:18 AM   #261
Ian

I'll join in venting with those having teeth issues...

Went to the dentist yesterday and had a horrible, painful cleaning that left me spitting out blood at the end because my teeth/gums were in such bad shape. CD and Pred are bad enough, but the depression my illness has caused has resulted in me neglecting my brushing - mainly because I rarely leave the house, so the morning ritual of brushing before I go out for the day has been lost. So tomorrow I also go back for my first filling - during school I had 4 teeth extracted, spent 1 1/2 years with fixed braces, and god knows how long with a gross retainer (I was also the first in my year to get braces so I endured some piss takes before they become commonplace lol) - after which I was DETERMINED not to get fillings. It's not really a big deal, just feels like yet another thing this disease has taken away
Dx likely Ulcerative Colitis July 2013 (age 27)

Currently taking:
6MP (75mg daily)
Asacol (3 x 800mg, twice daily)

Have taken: Humira, Infliximab (Remicade), Prednisolone, Predfoam
05-24-2011, 11:35 AM   #262
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
I forgot to mention that yesterday I also attempted to ride a bike (yeah, I'm 26 and was never taught to ride a bike!) and my butt is KILLING me! No one ever told me that riding on a bike seat would hurt so much. Is that normal? Or is the bike too tall?

We have the seat down as low as it will go and my feet do touch the ground, but there's still a lot of pressure on the seat area. I wonder if it's because it's designed for men. Our friend left it behind when he moved to Korea, so it's the only bike we have. Wondering if maybe a women's bike would be better because I could lower the seat just one more inch to give a little extra comfort in the nether regions.

It hurts to sit on the toilet seat! Haha.
05-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #263
lola99

I'll join in venting with those having teeth issues...

Went to the dentist yesterday and had a horrible, painful cleaning that left me spitting out blood at the end because my teeth/gums were in such bad shape. CD and Pred are bad enough, but the depression my illness has caused has resulted in me neglecting my brushing - mainly because I rarely leave the house, so the morning ritual of brushing before I go out for the day has been lost. So tomorrow I also go back for my first filling - during school I had 4 teeth extracted, spent 1 1/2 years with fixed braces, and god knows how long with a gross retainer (I was also the first in my year to get braces so I endured some piss takes before they become commonplace lol) - after which I was DETERMINED not to get fillings. It's not really a big deal, just feels like yet another thing this disease has taken away
My gastroentrologist tried to tell me that the predisone wasn't causing my teeth to me sensitive. But I've never had sensitive teeth. I can't drink cold water without cringing. I had braces for almost 4 years from 11-14 years old. I've had my wisdom teeth out and two other teeth out to make my teeth straight. And then the other day I looked in the mirror and one of my teeth just turned grey for no reason. I didn't hit it or anything so i know I didn't kill it like another tooth i had that died after getting hit in the mouth. Its depressing for sure. Like having my hair fall out isn't bad enough. All I can say is I'd rather brush my teeth,take calcium and do what I can to prevent the bad side effects but its hard to remember to do stuff when i just want to lay around all day from being tired.
05-24-2011, 01:34 PM   #264
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa, ouch! I honestly have no idea, I haven't ridden a bike in years and I definitely haven't ridden one since I've been ill. Not sure if men & womens bike seats are designed differently or if it's just a crohnie thing!

My mini-vent today is that it's really hard planning a meal that accommodates several different people's various health issues. A couple friends from out of town are coming over for a visit this weekend. She's a vegetarian, and he's got swallowing issues and can only eat certain things, and of course I'm trying to do mostly low-res and avoid my trigger foods. Soooo, my friends said that she'd bring a salad and he'd be happy with whatever meat we can put on the grill. But, we don't have a grill! All we have is one of those little George Foreman grills. So I have been searching craigslist trying to find a cheap/free grill quickly, but no luck so far. We can't afford to buy a new grill. So I have no idea what to do. For now my tentative plan is to cook chicken breasts or burgers one by one on the foreman grill but that will probably take forever. I said I could go out and buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, but my friend can't swallow baked meats apparently - only grilled! Argh! I offered to make pasta salad too but my friend said he'll pass on that and needs to eat meat, grilled meat. Why is it so @#$%& hard to accommodate such a specific diet? At least when I go visiting I offer to bring my own food or I give the host a few options of what I can eat so that they can make what they want to. I try not to be a bad guest and I always bring extra safe foods with me just in case. Why can't my friend do the same??
05-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #265
dreamintwilight

My Support Groups:
Cat - That is really odd. I would have definitely brought something special if I knew my diet was really specific. And I wouldn't assume anyone had a grill. Do you have a grill pan? that might be another alternative to look into if your George Foreman grill is too small. You can get a decent one from Target for like $30-$40 I think. That's where we got ours from. Or do you have a friend/neighbor that might be willing to lend you a grill?

Otherwise, I wouldn't put yourself out trying to do something too fancy. Grilled chicken breasts can be good...just make sure they are butterflied and it will cut down on cooking time significantly. Or hey...you could always go to KFC and get bucket of grilled chicken
05-24-2011, 02:53 PM   #266
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Marisa, we've only got one neighbor who I know has a grill, but they use it all the time and they will almost definitely be using it themselves this weekend. I also have one friend who has a grill but her grill is super tiny, so I'm not even going to bother with that. I'm intrigued by the grill pan idea, and will see if that'll suit our needs. If not then I am also liking the KFC idea! It's been a loooong time since I've been there, but I know that I can eat grilled chicken from Wendy's so I would imagine KFC should be similar. Ha ha.

I just had a thought, too. The male friend, the one with the swallowing issues who says he can only eat grilled meat, he's a fisherman. Seriously, like every photo and every status update on his facebook is about fish and fishing. I know he can eat fish. So I think he should be bringing some fresh fish that we could grill, since I'm going to all this trouble to accommodate him! Would it be rude of me to ask if he could bring fish?
05-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #267
Mayflower537

My Support Groups:
I just had a thought, too. The male friend, the one with the swallowing issues who says he can only eat grilled meat, he's a fisherman. Seriously, like every photo and every status update on his facebook is about fish and fishing. I know he can eat fish. So I think he should be bringing some fresh fish that we could grill, since I'm going to all this trouble to accommodate him! Would it be rude of me to ask if he could bring fish?
If they are basically demanding grilled meat, then I don't see where you'd be rude asking him to bring fish. I don't understand how grilling substantially changes the "swallow-ability" of meat, but whatever...did you tell them you don't have a grill? Maybe they can bring that, too!!

Ditto Marisa, I have a grill pan that I use when it's too extreme outside to use the big grill and I bought it at Target for around 30-40 bucks, just like Marisa said. I don't know if that'd suffice or not, but that's definitely an option if you feel you have to buy something...

Gotta love guests of this sort...
05-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #268
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Yeah, I know! I'm kind of glad these people only visit about once per year. The female of the couple is an old friend of mine from high school, and she's been a vegetarian forever so I was prepared for that. But the swallowing issues guy is her husband who I don't know nearly as well and I didn't even realize he had swallowing problems (I know from a few vague facebook posts of his that he had some medical issues in the past but I had no idea what). So it's kind of weird for him to just drop this on me. I'm fine with them visiting, I just wish the food thing weren't such an imposition. I'm wondering if I should just go way over the top and do stuff like, make him wear a bib and cut up his food into little bites and stuff. Ha ha. Maybe then he'd get the hint and be a better guest in the future.

Edited to add: Yes, I did tell them that I don't have a grill (they know I have no garage and no shed, henceforth no place to store a grill!). I said that I only have a little tiny Foreman grill and that's when I offered to get a rotisserie chicken, but he said no, he can't swallow that! And they said the Foreman grill would be fine. I don't really think that's fine, but whatever. I am liking the KFC idea more and more. I also don't understand how grilling makes something more easily swallowed. Last year when they visited us we got sub sandwiches and there was no issue whatsoever with any of us or our dietary concerns, so I'm also tempted to just get subs again.
05-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #269
MADiMarc

My Support Groups:
Okay, this may sound snobbish, sorry. I am a speech pathologist, have treated many people over too many years to count for swallowing/feeding issues. Grilling meat does nothing to help with the swallow. It doesn't change the texture, the consistency or any of the obvious things. To me, it sounds like he has a psychological difficulty, not a swallowing difficulty. Or, he could be like my daughter. She does not care for meat unless it's grilled...but she tells you that and does not expect people to cater to her.
And as for my two cents, ask him to bring fish. Like you Cat, I bring food when I go to a friends house. Why should they have to shell out their money for my weirdness?

Edit for your edit: love the sub idea!

Last edited by MADiMarc; 05-24-2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Addition
05-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #270
Cat-a-Tonic
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Thanks Michele! I am glad you have provided expert confirmation that grilling doesn't make meat easier to swallow. I will ask them to bring some fish and I'll fire up the little foreman grill and they can grill their own. Possibly while I eat some delicious rotisserie chicken or a sub sandwich. Ha ha.