• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Did you have Antibiotics as a kid?

Did you have alot of Antibiotics as a Kid????

• Yes

Votes: 70 78.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 4 4.5%

• Total voters
K

Kate

Ok guys i have seen theroys on the net about Antibiotics causeing IBD and in my case this could be a viable cause so i was wondering how many others could have the same possible cause. So if youve have large doses or long term doses or Anti b's or not please post here

I was forever on antibiotics as a child. I had constant ear infections and tonsilitis (sp). I outgrew both once I was around 12 years old but I was on all kinds of antibiotics until then. Maybe that was the problem :)

Marcia

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I really do not think I was on a lot of anti-biotics as I child. This has been asked before of me by doctors/nutritionists, but both my parents and I believe that I was not really ever on them a lot (if at all). I did not put no though (instead voted for not sure) just becuase I do not want to mislead anyone and the term a lot likely differs for everyone.

K

Kate

Fair enough Mike its best to go on the side of caution. Espically if you had them every now and again.

R

ReeRee

I had to call Mom about this one. She said my 2 sisters stayed on antibiotics most of the time, but I was the "healthy" one that never got sick (boy has that changed). She said she doesn't remember me having to take antibiotics ever until after I started getting the Crohn's symptoms.

That's weird.

cookey

Mama Crohnie
I took Antibiotics when I was 7, I came down with Pneumonia. A few times over the years, more were taken. This is interesting...I never knew about this either, thanks for this Kate. It's always good to know, what may be the cause of Crohns.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I wish we could have a comparison though of what the average amount of antibiotics a child has been on who is in relatively normal health. It would be interesting to see if on average those people with Crohn's have had a greater amount of antibiotics as children (when they were still considered of normal health). It is hard though I think to take much evidence from a poll like the one in this thread though. It would be interesting if they were able to do further research in this area though.

K

Kate

Yeah i know what you mean mike i was just trying to get an idea of who had thought they had more then the average kid.... I know for a fact that i did for a while when i was small (18months) due to an infection in my joint (septicarthritus) and again for a while when i had Pneumonia and other then broncitus and tonsilitis till i was six i was "healthy". I would love for more reasearch to be done on this but like all possible causes it is just a theroy and might be nothing in it but it does make sence.

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I totally Agree Kate. The problem with all of these theories is that there just is no way of telling which ones show any evidence of being more than something that sounds like it could be true. This is definately something to think about though, and it is a risk that should be told to parents when there children are given antibiotics, especially over a longer period of time. It is always good to know all of the risks to doing any medication, and knowing the possibilities that may exist with taking Antibiotiocs may help parents make decisions that are best for them.

K

Kate

Its strange i have done this post in another forum i go to and ive had just over 50% say yes they did as children have long term of high doses of anitb's as kids it looks like there could be something to this. Or its just a coincedence who knows lol with crohns

N

ncgirl

I was on tons of antibiotics as a child. So much so, I've become allergic to a good bit of them.

J

jlbastian

I had my wisdom teeth out when I was a sophomore in HS, and I was on about 7 different anti-biotics, spread out over the course of 6 months due to complications.

It was about 7 months following those anti-biotics that I started having Crohn's symptoms. I have been told there is a very good chance this is what caused it, and after doing research, I think I believe it.

K

Kate

Yeah the more i think about it and look into it the more i belive it

I had ear infections, strip throat, etc quite a bit when I was younger. Not sure how many times I had anti-biotics but im sure it was up there.

D

devildee(donna2005)LOL

I had ear infections, strip throat, etc quite a bit when I was younger. Not sure how many times I had anti-biotics but im sure it was up there.
me to i was always ill with ears & throat when i was little

E

ElaineH

I was on antibiotics on and off until I was 8.. docs thought I had recurrent cystitis, but it turned out I had a diseased kidney.. so diseased that it had shrivelled up to next to nothing!

Up till I was diagnosed I never got sick. I also rarely had colds. But ever since Crohn's hit, i've been sick many times, as well as on meds which can fill up a room!!!! Maybe I have an immune system so good, that it's overactive :)

I think what triggered my Crohn's were vaccinations that I had to take when I started a new work and had to travel a lot. Crohn's appeared a couple of months after that....

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
I doubt that I did, but I dont remember. I had problems with ears but they were hearing related. My mom hates pills and drugs, still does but I have a cabinet full. ;)

Big yes. Since I was an infant I would get ear infections every couple of months, so they would put me on antibiotics (most notably Z-Pack). I would still get them if it wasn't for the prednisone.

Yup! I was on antibiotic about 2 mins after i came out of my mom, and off and on throughout my life until about the age of 8yr, so much that amoxicillan wouldnt' work, and penicillan would only work in triple the amounts of normal dosing. Then I started down the sick path again when i was in my late 18th year. to where I still continuously am on and off antibiotics. :-\ ..

Ear infections, jaudice(birth issue), heart murmur (birth issue), were the ones i had as a little kid.
Now that i'm older it ranges from Ear infections, strep, sinus infections, yeast, BV, toenail infections, athleats foot, broncitus, phnomena (Can't spell), and many others(these are just the main ones i've had over the past 5 years- i'm 23 now)

Last edited:
For the past two years, I have been contemplating the surgical resection of a 15 cm long stricture that is proximal to my ileo-ecal valve. I was first diagnosed with Crohn’s 20 years ago after being treated surgically for a peri-anal abscess. As far as I can remember, my stomach problems began at age 7 when I was treated with high doses of PENICILLIN for Lyme Disease.

I was even scheduled for surgery at Stanford, but changed my mind a week before. I am really concerned about losing the ileocecal valve. It seems important. I would like to talk with more people who have had the surgery. I would like to know their state before and after the surgery. Mostly, I am concerned about diarrhea. Currently, I have a bout once a month, usually when I am stressed out and not eating well.

I am worried that if I have the valve removed, I will have much more frequent diarrhea. The trade-off is that now, I am kept awake by cramping several nights per month. I also wonder if I would have a lot more energy if I go ahead and get the surgery. The problem is that there is no going back.

Has anyone else agonized over this decision like me?
I would like to know anyone with this sort of personal experience?

I had anti biotics for tonsilitis several times, and a kidney infection when I was 15y.
I now believe that it was never a kidney infection, but the start of my symptoms for crohns?

I never really had a lot of antibiotics when I was young. Maybe once or twice. But since the Crohn's started up, antibiotics have become a regular part of the team!

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
When I was a little girl I frequently had strep throat and tonsilitis several times a year. I was a child in the 70s and 80s which meant that the standard treatment was a shot of penicillin (Long Acting Bicillin). Ouch! I hated those things! I was given so much penicillin as a young child that I later developed a sensitivity to it. I started having my digestive troubles when I was a junior in high school.

Had several ear infections a year until I was in my twenties and then still had some every now and then...antibiotics out the yingyang throughout my life...

I was on Antibiotics a lot as a kid. I had sinus infections several times a year, ear infections, and strep throat quite often (some years it was several times through the winter). At the beginning of this year, I took antibiotics for what I thought was a sinus infection but now I'm thinking it was the beginning of my current flare. I'm currently undiagnosed but probably have crohns. At that time I was undiagnosed without doctor/GI supervision. However, I'm almost positive I've had crohns (if eventually diagnosed) all my life and I'm quite sure was passed down through the family to me.

I am not diagnosed, but having issues and going to get tests soon hopefully. I was on antibitoics quite a bit as a kid. I also was on them a bit in the last 8 years. Am on one now low dose for the last 4 and half years. I am certain antibiotics can mess anyones gut up for sure. Do they cause crohns, I do not know. I think in certain vunerable people, yes it is possible. I guess it just depends on the person. I mean I know my mom was ALways on antibitoics and she never had crohns. She did however have mucus colitis( now called IBS). I think it depends on the person as an individual. I think there has to be more than just the antibiotic though that sets the stage for developing crohns( like a possible weak or malfunctioning immune system).

I was very sickly as a child and was constantly on antibiotics, and my mom is clean-freak, so I was probably seriously lacking in "good bacteria" LOL.

I have also heard that being born via C-section has an effect a baby's gut flora... Would be interesting to see how many of us are C-section babies. I am!

Also agree with whomever suspected that a vaccine may have been a trigger in their disease. I was required to have a Hep B vaccine to do clinicals for nursing... My first major flare and subsequent diagnosis came a few months later.

I don't think there is any one specific cause for autoimmune disorders, but rather a combination of all the environmental factors stressing an immune system that is already genetically susceptible. Stress, viruses, antibiotics, vaccines, toxins, etc... all add up over time, and at some point I think the immune system just goes haywire. But, that's just my humble opinion.

I agree AVW, I think it is like a pot of water that is just waiting to boil over. I think it is a build up of stressers that are put on the immune system for so long that finally the bottom drops from under.( I believe this is the case with a lot of orphan diseases and immune diseases). I was born natural(no c-section), but my mom did have severe toxemia late in her pregnancy with me( we almost both died). I was premature about 4 weeks, I weighed only 4 and half lbs. I am not saying this is why I am sick, but there could be a possible connection. I wonder how many on here were born premature??

Lots of ear infections, bloody noses, flu during my childhood. I've always been the "sick kid" in my family. Even as an adult anytime I get the sniffles I end up with antibiotics for an infection, or bronchitis.

I was on antibiotics for years as a teen (like 6 years) for acne. It cured the acne, but I have always wondered if it also caused my UC. Nothing I can do about it now... :ybatty:

Lots of ear infections, bloody noses, flu during my childhood. I've always been the "sick kid" in my family. Even as an adult anytime I get the sniffles I end up with antibiotics for an infection, or bronchitis.
I was, and am, exactly the same. Tubes in and out of my ears several times, antibiotics many times as an infant, allergic to everything, always getting bronchitus, upper resp...etc...

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I know this thread is old but I voted no way back because apparently I didn't know. I actually was given antibiotics as a kid for an ear infection.