• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Eek: staples!

I've just been scratching my dressed surgical incisions, following my surgery last week (ileocolic resection) - and just discovered I've been stapled along the longest wound!

I'm sure this is perfectly normal, but my Surgeon didn't mention them, and I guess they've have to be removed at some point! Does anyone know how long they would normally stay in?!

EEK!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think it's about 10 days. A nurse usually comes to the house and removes them (in the UK anyway) Totally painless procedure. You will feel much more comfortable afterwards, as they begin to pull as you heal. Well done :)
Hugs
Marie x

Ha! Ha! I remember that. Looked like I had a zip in my tummy. Mine were in for 10 days and went back to hospital to get them out. Very quick and painless. Quick snip and they slip out. Leave a neater scar without puckering too.

And stop scratching. Nag! Nag! x

Thanks everyone. I was very lucky to be covered by my partner's Medical Insurance, so I was able to have the operation done privately - saying that I guess I'll have to ring them up and confirm a time and date for de-stapling!

Tx.

I went into the doctor's office about a week and a half later to have my staples removed (in the US). I wished they had stayed in a little longer as I had some separation after they were removed. I was also on steroids for a while before surgery, so that slowed my healing a bit. My understanding is that you just want to get them taken out before your skin gets too irritated or starts growing over them.