• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Newbie seton

Hi all - I've been searching through loads of information about setons. Had one put in three weeks ago - wow, did that hurt!!! Got an infection, cleared up with anti-biotics. What I find now is the ends of the thread and the knot really dig into my bum. It's draining fine - but is there anything I can do about this? The ends of the stitch are very hard plastic, and nappy rash ensues....fun, eh?!! I'm still on pain killers. Any help hugely appreciated. Cheers. G

David

Co-Founder
Hi gdgm and welcome to the community! I don't have the answer to your question but moved your thread here to the fistula/abscess forum as I think you're more likely to get answers here. I hope you don't mind!

Again, welcome to the community! I wish you all the best.

David

Co-Founder
Nope, you did fine :) But since it was such a specific question, I though it would be best to move it here. But if you want to post an introduction, tell us about yourself, your diagnosis, meds, or whatever you want to share, you're welcome to whenever you like. That is what more commonly people put in the "Your Story" forum.

Hi Greg,
Sometimes you can rotate the seton some by gently running your finger across it in a hot bath, it could move the knot to a better location. You may want to look into picking up some calmoseptine lotion as well if you are still getting drainage. It works wonders for the skin around it. Good luck!

Hi - thanks for that - I do move it around, just not much room for manoeuvre unfortunately! I'm not sure if Calmoseptine is readily available in the UK - can't see it on chemists lists, although I'm guessing it's like sudocream which is used for nappy rash. Steep learning curve here....!

Hi Greg-

My seton knot ends used to "stab" the surrounding tissue. Rotating would help some. The thing that helped a lot was tucking 1/2 a cotton ball to help provide padding. This also helped with the drainage. I would change it several times a day. My CRS told me about this method. I did this for about ~1.5 years up until it was removed when I started Remicade.

Try to get your hands on some moldable wax....like the kind you get for the old school ear plugs or orthodontists use to cover braces and stick it over the ends of the Seton....you just have to wipe carefully (which you probably do already!!) so as not to knock the wax off all the time. Anyways it helped me when I had 4 setons and got fed up with being stabbed by pointy bits in my private bits....lol.....sooo not fun.

Good Luck

Kat

Last edited:
Hello all - thought I wouldn't need to come back here...:-(( After ten weeks (of mostly complete agony etc) my seton fell out when on holiday. I was v happy!! Felt like a 'real' person again...had my hospital check up booked for 2 weeks later, so had that done. Anyway, i was left with a huge exterior hole - and apparently nothing has really changed. So I was left with having yet another seton (which I really don't want as I was feeling great) or 'see what happens'. And 'see what happens' has now resulted in a new abscess forming....Is this really common?? I really can't face another seton - it was painful nearly all the time. Thanks folks, Greg

Hello all - thought I wouldn't need to come back here...:-(( After ten weeks (of mostly complete agony etc) my seton fell out when on holiday. I was v happy!! Felt like a 'real' person again...had my hospital check up booked for 2 weeks later, so had that done. Anyway, i was left with a huge exterior hole - and apparently nothing has really changed. So I was left with having yet another seton (which I really don't want as I was feeling great) or 'see what happens'. And 'see what happens' has now resulted in a new abscess forming....Is this really common?? I really can't face another seton - it was painful nearly all the time. Thanks folks, Greg
Hello gdgm:

In what ways was your seton painful all the time? I am about to have my first non-cutting seton put in next week, and i am so fearful that it will just be a source oof constant pain for me.

I thought the job of the seton was to keep the fistula's tract nice and open so there wouldn't be anymore pain associated with the backing up or clogging of fluid and abscesses reforming.

Thanks.

Hi Lil - I can only tell you about mine obviously! Other people seem to have had an 'easier' run with it. I had my seton put in - they weren't sure until I'd been under general anaesthetic whether that's what they were going to do (!), and they did. Fistula/tract very high up. I was off work for two weeks - the pain for me was excruciating - and on large doses of pain killers. I then got an infection, even though I was meticulous in cleanliness. So 2 weeks of antibiotics. This, fortunately/unfortunately coincided with my holiday (I'm a teacher), so at least I wasn't at work. I had -
Constant pain with the loo
constant pain when I sat
terrible 'nappy' rash
and felt generally unwell!
Went on holiday, the seton fell out. I thougth that was the end of it as my doctor had explained. But after 3 weeks of feeling great, abscess returned and back to square one. I either have the op all over again, or basically put up with it. Not a whole load of options there. Would I do it again? Really not sure...
As I said, others seem to have been fine. I have a high pain threshold, but this, for me, and the position of it, was deeply unpleasant. However, don't be put off by me - I'm not doing that! best of luck, Greg

Hi Greg!
Sorry to hear you are having such a pain in your rear! I don't know much about the NHS or if you get any say in what kind of Seton your surgeon uses. I had one like you described when I had abscess #1 operated on this year, it was hard plastic, like a zip-tie, and very painful since the area was already so irritated. Luckily, I went to see my colorectal surgeon for a checkup a few days to a week after surgery and he noticed how irritated my skin looked so he asked if I wanted a smaller, more comfortable one put in it's place. He asked how my pain tolerance was, then I reminded him that he is not even allowed to examine me without knocking me out first, he wanted to change the seton right there in his office, but he gave in and scheduled me for a quick outpatient procedure to change it. Haven't had a single problem since! I barely even notice it.
I also have another, larger seton in place for some recurring smaller abscesses, but it is rubber, just like a balloon. A little weird but at least it doesn't hurt.

So what I guess I'm trying to say is that there are so many different types of Setons- check with your colorectal surgeon to if he/she can't try a different kind, because honestly, for people who suffer with recurring abscesses, Setons are a life saver!

Best of luck :)

Geeezz... TWO YEARS with a hard plastic one?!?!?! OUCH! I would've pulled the damn thing out myself!