• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Single/married/kids??? Please answer

Are you single or living with family?

• Single (Not married, no kids)

Votes: 65 19.3%
  • Single parent (not married with kids)

Votes: 13 3.9%
  • Married (married without kids)

Votes: 49 14.6%
  • Married with kids

Votes: 147 43.8%
  • I live with my boyfriend/girlfriend

Votes: 39 11.6%
  • I live with my parents or other family member

Votes: 23 6.8%

• Total voters
I am very curious to know what everyone else's family situations are. Are you single, living alone? Are you a single parent? Married with kids? Boyfriend/Girlfriend?

Hubby and I are married with two girls.

just wondering! Thank you! :thumright:

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I'm married. No kids but several pets. We got married years before I got sick, had a bit of a rough patch when I was initially ill but are doing fine now. My brother also currently lives with us but he's moving out very soon.

I am married with two kids, ages 10 and 12. I was diagnosed after I had kids, although I can trace my symptoms back to when I was in college. I'm glad, though, that things didn't start to get really bad until the kids were no longer toddlers. My husband has been really great through this whole thing, but I feel like a sense of helplessness is starting to get to him. :(

I'm married with 2 kids 5 & 2 a stepson 15 and 2 dogs. I didn't get sick til after i had kids luckily but it was hard work with them when I was, all good now though!!

Married, with one daughter. I was fortunate that I did not have to wait long for my wife to see what Crohn's could do - I wanted her to know what she was getting into. Keeping the night shift for a new born wasn't exactly the healthiest choice I have ever made. Glad that I did it, wouldn't volunteer to go through it again though!

Astra

You don't have divorced on there.
I'm divorced with 2 kids, boy 17 and girl 20
My daughter's at Uni, my son at College.
I am in a relationship but don't live with him, yet!

Nyx

I'm engaged, and he has 2 kids who we live with. Tom's 11 and Emily just turned 6. In a weird twist of fate, his ex wife lives with us too. Everyone looks at me weird, but it really works for us (for now...lol).

Terriernut

I'm in a relationshipish. (is that a word?) But we just ignore each other. Divorced. No children. Too old now!

Dating? OMG the thought...shudder.

KWalker

I am engaged and living with my fiance. We're too young for kids, but have a miniature schnauzer puppy that is more than enough right now lol

I am married with 2boys 7 & 12.
Got the first part of my diagnosis this year, UC, Crohns being investigated, and am so grateful the boys are old enough to sort themselves out when I am not feeling well(most of the time)
Hubby does fab although has a hissy fit every now and then. Cant blame him really. A lot of the time he does everything at home.

I'm in a relationshipish. (is that a word?) But we just ignore each other. Divorced. No children. Too old now!

Dating? OMG the thought...shudder.
Ha! I second your dating *shudder*. I am so glad I am married so I don't have to deal with all the dating drama.
thank you for your reply :ybiggrin:

Married, with one daughter. I was fortunate that I did not have to wait long for my wife to see what Crohn's could do - I wanted her to know what she was getting into. Keeping the night shift for a new born wasn't exactly the healthiest choice I have ever made. Glad that I did it, wouldn't volunteer to go through it again though!
So, you took care of the baby while your wife was sick? Did I get that right?

I was married to the father of my son. We got married very young and I found out he was cheating on me the entire time, he'd go out and leave our 9 month old with me and get wasted come home hung over or throwing up the expected me to take care of him all day. I started becoming symptomatic right before he left and he made fun of me for it(made fun of my bloody stools and mocked my stomache pain and told me I as faking) Christas Day I woke up and he took everything with him(including my sons diapers) and moved out. Found out later he moved in with another girl... >:/ It took us a long time to be civil for the sake of our son.

I now live with and engaged to a wonderful man. We started dating when my son was 18 months old so he has basically grown up with him. I got really sick abouta year into our relationship and he stood by me. When I was in the hospital he would spend the night with me. He goes to every doctors appointment with me and is my main support system. He is an amazing person and I'm lucky to have him. The best part is he rubs my back every night before bed because he knows it helps me sleep and makes my tummy feel better. My son over the past two years(when I was the most sick) learned to become very independant. He'll ask me for food and drinks but he will play quietly if he notices I've fallen asleep on the couch.

So in short I am engaged living with my fiance with a 5 year old son.

@lookame;
We've all gotta get it wrong at least once to appreciate the good one! HA! So glad to hear you have someone supportive too. Thanks for your post =)

@littlefreebird;
Yay! for babies! I took a look at your FB profile, 'go big or go home' is something we say out here in Colorado. I LOVE IT!
Thank you for your post =)

Terriernut

Oooh! I'm from Golden Colorado!!!! Hiya!!! (yes, I'm a long way from home)

Yes, the more I see of the supportive spouses and significant other halfs I see on here, the more I question what the *&% I'm doing.

Single and living at home with my mum step dad and sister, And got a funny feeling thats the way things are going to be staying for the foreseeable future haha

Terriernut

Martin....only you are holding yourself back..cause you is one handsome young man. And frankly, I think you are selling yourself short. If I were your age, I'd be happy to go out with you. And I think once you are past the court case, you are going to relax a bit, and then...just when you least expect it.....Thats my hope for you!!

@robbo87
It's important to be where you are comfortable. Thanks for posting

There's lots UK-ians out there. Interesting

@terriernut
How'd you end up all the way out there? Colorado is beautiful, come home!

I'm living with my boyfriend, but we're as good as married! Been together almost ten years, living together 4 1/2 years (would have moved in sooner, but we couldn't afford it before). No kids and no definate plans either (much as I would love a baby, some days I can barely look after myself!)

@jessi
Wow! 5 kidos how do you do it? I always wanted a house full of kids...then I had kids =)
...two is plenty for me

@Rebecca85
Yeah, take care of yourself first. Kids are tough enough when your healthy!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Weeeeell, I'm not married but have been living with the same bloke for 21 years!

We have two kids. Sarah lives away from home, attending university, and Matt is at home and has just finished High School.

At present we have two cats...one is a big hairy Persian and the other is what we refer to as a good old fashioned cat! :lol:

Dusty. :)

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
single, no kids, living with a freeloader (her term not mine).

No plans on procreating, I'm totally cool if my genetics die with me. Too much I don't want to pass on.

PsychoJane

I live with my boyfriend. Been living together for 2 years. I was planning kids when done with school but now that the disease is back... Im not too sure anymore. I'll see in the time being and cross the bridge if it needs to be crossed :).

I'm married and have 4 beautiful children (8,6,4 and 1)

Pregnancy put my Ulcerative Colitis in remission each time. Maybe I should keep having kids LOL. No we are done, had my tubes tied ;)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Married with children... my daughter is in UNI and my husbands two kids are married and gone. So no more kids in the house yay! :banana: :banana:

Married, two kids, girls ages 11 and 8. Me and dh have been together for 15 years. I was diagnosed after I had kids, with no symptoms before dx. My youngest is a skinny minnie and I worry she may develope Crohns but she has a healthy appetite and she never complains about tummy hurting or diarrhea. She is too athletic and really into ballet.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!! :rosette2: I would love to write specifically on everyone posts but there are getting to be so many of you! THAT'S AWESOME! I love it! Keep em coming!!!

LETS SEE IF WE CAN TRIPLE THE NUMBER IN FOUR DAYS!! =D

Congrats to all the engaged! Being married is AWESOME! :thumleft:

I really thought the 'Single (without kids)' would be the majority. Interesting. Maybe husbands and kids cause crohns :ylol: HA!

KWalker

Hey! Its not us men that cause crohns, its you girls and your extra baggage you bring! Lol, yes, your hair looks good, no you're not fat, let's just go eat already! Lol

single and like other despite my deep desire to have kids wonder if my gentics should die with me: learning disablity, crohns, AS, and scolisis.

Terriernut

Outlier, I'm happy to report I didnt pass my on. I am grateful for that! Sometimes I think what would I have done if I'd passed on crohns, and my etc., etc., problems on to a child? Course you never know if you are, but if it's in the genes, it could come up down the line. My mother had crohns, I've got it. Mum had female issues, I have them....it's a scary thought!! :eek:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am married. We've been married for 4 years, but we've been together for a total of 12 years. We have a dog (our "trial child") who we love and spoil way too much.

We'd really like to start a family next year. Here's hoping I get some answers and start feeling better soon, so this can actually happen.

I'm married for the second time and we have been together for 16 years, married for 4. We both have 3 children, ages 23, 26, 29 for mine, and 39, 42,and 44 for his. We also have 7 grandchildren.......:)

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey! Its not us men that cause crohns, its you girls and your extra baggage you bring! Lol, yes, your hair looks good, no you're not fat, let's just go eat already! Lol
:nonono: You sound just like my husband..he says there is no yes or no to the questions.;)

KWalker

LOL! Were with you guys for a reason, and its not because of how you do your hair lol. I could probably honestly get ready, take care of things (I'm the one with crohns) 50 times before my fiance is ready lol.

Married two grown boys, now I only have one good old boy to look after. He, he. Kidding he is pretty good.:thumright:

suschex

Suzanne
Married with 2 kids...Boy is 6 yrs, girl is 5 yrs. I was just diagnosed but looking back have had it since my late teens.

I live with my boyfriend and two cats. We have been living together for a year and a half. We are still very young 18 & 19 so no plans for marriage or kids just yet haha

I live with my GF and we have three kids!

Three little monsters 9, 11 13,

They go to three difference schools. Nighmare every morning :ybatty:

Married 6yrs with two girls 3 1/2 and 17mths. Dx crohn's 25 yrs ago, Hubby the best he has talked me off crohn's ledge more than once. Was told by GI at age 14 I'd never have kids then 4 pregnancies in my 30's in 4 years proved that theory wrong was also told age 15 I'd be in wheel chair by 30 and I run around more now than I did in my 20's.
Oh no more kids now, two is def enough!!!

Hiya, I'm married with a 6yr old, 3yr old and 1yr old. It's tough going when the chips are down but I wouldn't do it any other way. I got Crohns when pregnant with my 1st and have had a roller coaster ride since then but you just have to stay positive or you can go loopy!!!! My husband is a friggen legend!!!
I stayed in Colorado for a few months. Is an amazing place!!!!! Brekenridge.

I live with my boyfriend of three years, we have no plans for marriage or children yet (we're living abroad and traveling so that's our financial focus right now!), but I have to admit when I was first diagnosed one of the things I read into was whether or not I could still have children as I would definitely want to in the next 5 years or so and I was scared that it could be taken away before I'd even started trying.

It's good to know most women have successful pregnancies with Crohn's and some of you have even gone into remission while pregnant!

WoW! It's so awesome to see all these families! Lots and lots of kiddos. We have so many great responses here and soooo much information!
You guys are GREAT :worthy: Thank you

I'm married with one son, two cats and a lizard. I had Crohn's long before I met my husband. I told him I was high maintenance right off the bat, and less than two months after we started dating, he had to take me to the ER. He was so great about it, I knew he was "the one". I was very sick when I was pregnant, but my son is healthy.

married with 2 kitties and no plans for babies. we both work crazy hours and with my crohn's (which is like a giant unruly child) we have opted not to have children. i am a fabulous auntie, and am often equipped with sugar and loud or messy toys....:ybiggrin:

Separated, Soon to be divorced

No kids, except 4-legged ones. Moved back home to help take care of my Dad and BAM all this stuff with fistulas,abscesses etc happens - tables defnitiely turned. Don't know where I would be without him :heart:

Married to an amazing women who I owe everything to including my life and a beautiful daughter who is now 15 months old. My wife has known about my crohn's from the very start and although she knew nothing about it to start with she has embraced it and helped me so much when ever I've had a flair up. I'm a super lucky guy to have someone who is as understanding and Patiant as my wife. (I may play on things slightly when I'm under the weather to get my way lol)

I'm 65, my wife is 50 and we have an 8 yr old daughter (adopted). She has been with us since day she was born.
My wife and I have been together 24 years but didn't marry until 12 years ago.
My wife has health issues related to being born with spina bifida and uses a wheelchair (but that doesn't slow her down, believe me!)
Our health issues have had a big impact on our relationship (good topic for another forum) and adding a child to the mix, while we love her tremendously, adds its own set of issues.
Unfortunately, we are currently "discussing" separating.

Could have done with a question: Divorced, no children ! however am now in a relationship with a Girl who understands my illness and stood by me when I was in hospital:). Its a sad fact that husbands/wives/Bf's, Gf's cannot cope with our illness and 'look' for other partners.:stinks:

Could have done with a question: Divorced, no children ! however am now in a relationship with a Girl who understands my illness and stood by me when I was in hospital:). Its a sad fact that husbands/wives/Bf's, Gf's cannot cope with our illness and 'look' for other partners.:stinks:
I guess what I should have said was 'Not married' instead of 'Single'. Iv never been divorced, don't know the lingo. 'SINGLE' will just have to do.

@Pete_Scott
Thank you for your positive post. It was a breath of fresh air.

@Richard414
I am sad to hear of your possible separation. I hope you guys realize how important you are to one another and your little one and remember why you fell in love in the beginning. ~~~Sending positive thoughts your way~~~

@foxfirejoy
Isn't life funny like that =) We tent to end up right where we're supposed to be.

@hangington
I am going to be an aunti soon, too! Finally a kid I can spoil and send home! HA!

:biggrin:married raising a husband and a puppy basset hound named Bailey Grace.
Love it! My husband is brilliant and wonderfully supportive of the Crohn's side of things, still working on the house training side though...! :ylol:

We are very lucky to have two beautiful boys, aged 5 and 11 months, who are my life and soul, and my older son is so helpful and equally supportive about the Crohn's x

Thank you soooo much, we didnt plan it but we were lucky we did it that way because my anemia got so bad with my last, that i had to have like 12 double blood transfusions, so doctors said no more. So I was lucky to get them!

That.....is....SHOCKING. Reading your post just then made my heart sink. I can't even imagine. My prayers to you and your beautiful family. God bless you for such a big smile in your photo.
I always thought I wanted a houseful of kids....until I had kids HA! I'm kind of kidding. =)
Seriously, after I had my second I had this very satisfied feeling rush over me, and so I am completely confident that we are done. And we are so blessed with such beautiful little princesses.

Last edited:

Suvii

An old fart from North!
We're engaged with two kids! :wub:
We met in 2004 and after 3 weeks we moved in together. After 6 months I was pregnant! ♥

Now we've been together for almost 8 years now and have two kids ages 6 (girl) and 3 (boy).

Last edited:
We're engaged with two kids! :wub:
We met in 2003 and after 3 weeks we moved in together. After 6 months I was pregnant! ♥

Now we've been together for almost 8 years now and have two kids ages 6 (girl) and 3 (boy).
Aww. Hubby and I have a similar story...We moved in with one another after our first date! Married after 8 months had our first girl 9 months later and had our second girl 9 months ago. When it's right, it's right :hug:

I went ahead and said I'm married, we're engaged. Been together 5yrs and have a 5yr old (different biodad) and a 2yr old. I got diagnosed the beginning of this year and boy it is hard doing the stay at home mom thing b/c I can't physically work and balancing prek and a toddler.

I live with my boyfriend, our kitty, and our 5 week old daughter. My boyfriend has been AMAZINGLY supportive and I would still not be diagnosed if I hadn't had my daughter. I was told my Crohn's diagnosis (and alerted to a possible blood clotting disorder) 10 days after delivery. Mommy is now getting proper treatment after going 3+ years with symptoms thanks to you baby girl! <3

...Of course now I'm worried she could potentially inherit my gut. I wouldn't want this for anyone let alone my offspring!

Suvii

An old fart from North!
Aww. Hubby and I have a similar story...We moved in with one another after our first date! Married after 8 months had our first girl 9 months later and had our second girl 9 months ago. When it's right, it's right :hug:
That's right :p

:ghug: Hello! I'm married with 2 boys, 12 and 9. The boys really keep me going! They are awesome--and I am soo thankful to be a mother.:heart:
Snap

@lookame - our story is almost exactly the same! Got pregnant and BF and I got married, big mistake. He was lazy, selfish, couldn't hold a job and drank every night. I finally told him it was over when our son was 18 months. He left town and I moved in with my parents. My current hubby asked me out at work about a month later, and we moved in together shortly after that. The fact that I had a toddler, and Crohn's, didn't bother him in the least. We've been together 7 years, married the last 4 and we have Ewan, 8, and Tamsin, 4. My husband always introduces them as his family or his kids. He has NEVER singled Ewan out or used the term step-son. Now that is a keeper.

As for the Crohn's, he had no idea what it was when I told him. Now he is the one making sure I'm taking my meds, asking me how I feel, lecturing me when I eat something he knows I shouldn't, and takes care of the house and kids when I'm not feeling well.

@jaggartini - my Crohn's went into remission with both of my pregnancies, it was amazing! We don't want anymore kids, but if I could just stay in that state without having any more babies it would be awesome!!

Married to my wonderful wife 9 years and we have a dog Zeus 12 (old and set in his ways). Tried to have kids a while ago but doctors said we could not. We are a happy family though. :smile:

still living at home, with mom and dad. hoping to move out soon. who knows if and when i'll be able to afford it, though.....

Im engaged and living with my fiance. We have no children(but want some oneday) we do have a pitbull "bobby" he is 8 .. He is our sookie baby .. Lol My fiance and I have been together for just over 11 years .. We started dating when we were 15 .. I think lol .. I was dx's with crohns in 2003 .. My fiance is amazing .. He has been through everything with me .. And has put up with my crazy a*s for 11 years .. Poor guy ...... Take care everyone. DanielleD X

how do people go with dating I just started infliximab(remicade) and hope it will help with the toilet situation I feel heaps better since having it but want to start dating again but am worried about accidents or leakage as my stool is very runny lately again and thats why i'm worried about leakage

Been single since mid twenties (43 in 5 weeks time)
Never met anyone who understood (gave up worrying about it years ago!)
Never had kids - it always scared me too much i might pass the illness on.
(i know their is no firm evidence but i never wanted to risk it)

Hi,

Im single, not married and no kids. Been on my own a few years. Im happy though. Had a few disappointing relationships but its not put me off!

Lara xx

yeah I've been single for 5 years and am over it so wanna start dating again just a bit hard with rumbling guts and going to the toilet

2 kids (see signature) and one very interesting Significant Other. We aren't engaged...but I have a ring. Again, I said he was interesting :)

Married since 1989, but we've been together since 1982 (wow eh) that even surprises me LOL...have 2 kids, daughter is 22 in January (2012) and son will be 19 in March(2012)...became sick with CD when our daughter was just over a yr and a half old (20 yrs now with no full remission) and boy oh boy did getting sick that young ever test our marriage, but here we still are, I'm 44 and hubby is 43. We wanted to have kids young so by the time they were adults we could still have a life...thanks to crohn's it's been difficult for us to "have a life", but we manage.

I am also worried about Hubby passing his genes to the kids. My three year old complains of belly aches already....don't know if she's playing for attention or what. Scary though.

Married with 2 boys (17 & 14). One cat, one dog.

Crohn's is part of our relationship, but it doesn't (at this stage) control our relationship. My heart breaks for everything my gorgeous husband is going through. It's not just Phil's illness - it is ours as a family. But we can step away from it, whereas it's always there for him.

single. live on my own, im subborn as hell!
i cant cope with the men i date always wanting attention and whinging that they are dying etc when they have flu or whatever so avoiding dating right now!
I would love children one day but fear the way i cope with my illness will mean i never stay with anyone long enough for that to happen!

i get so sick and tired (literally) of meeting healthy attention seeking guys that dont know how good they actually have it!

I am now stock piling cat litter in anticipation of becoming that crazy cat lady ive always feared i would one day become! ... at least i'll have decent company that doesnt answer back! hehe :D x

Angrybird

Married to a wonderful supportive man :) Really want to have kids, just waiting for the crohns to co-operate :( Hoping to get things settled so we can start trying this year.

Married with 2 boys (17 & 14). One cat, one dog.

Crohn's is part of our relationship, but it doesn't (at this stage) control our relationship. My heart breaks for everything my gorgeous husband is going through. It's not just Phil's illness - it is ours as a family. But we can step away from it, whereas it's always there for him.
I totally agree with you, when hubby has flares we all feel it. I try to not show it, but it's very scary and stressful when he's sick.
Thanks for the comment.

@ dette~
Guys are just big babies =)

@angrybird~
Do you have a plan for getting the Crohns under control so that you can conceive and care for your baby?

Angrybird

Hi, yes I have a battle plan: part one was having the op to get rid of the stricture and part two was lose a bit of weight and get fit so I was at a really good place when we started trying. Did not expect to have the massive flare in December so whilst the weight loss is going ahead (thanks crohns!) I am now ammending the plan to having to go on a baby friendly medication, will be starting the Aza again within the next couple of weeks and I am hopeful as I did really well on this for ages a few years back. I am looking into going to the gym so I can get fit and will continue to watch my diet and not be silly with what I eat. Any other suggestions would be appreciated and welcomed.

I'm single, on my own with no kids. I have 2 precious nephews (3 & 10 mos) which I get to watch a lot and they are all I can handle right now. I'm in a somewhat complicated relationship (actually its extremely complicated) but he knows I have Crohn's and is surprisingly supportive (not many others have been, not like him anyway). I don't think it will go anywhere in the future though but for right now I enjoy being with him when I can. I'm about to go back to school plus I work full time. I don't see kids anywhere in the near future and maybe not at all. If God wants me to have kids I will. if not...

Living with my fiance - it's our 5 yr anniversary on 20th this month. Next week he starts working away 1-2 weeks at a time!
No kids cos I can't have any due to Crohns and other health issues - I do have 3 cats, I share my dog with my ex and sadly enough I have a reborn boy called Harry.
That being said I'm more than happy with my furkids and fake baby :)

:confused:I'm not sure which box to tick.

I'm a widow (although I don't like defining myself that way) and have been living alone (with my Miniature Schnauzer) since my husband died in 1988. No kids of my own but lots of step children who are now grown and have had kids of their own - some ready to have their own kids!