• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Lost and need help

I am 17 years old and I am so lost. I have been diagnosed with Crohn's disease for about two years now. I have no idea what to eat or drink. I am in humira. My mom keeps telling me if I dont start eating right I will have a very unpleasant pregnancy when im older. I would love to eat right but I dont know how. I dont like salads. Lettuce and fruit makes me gag. Jucing I can deal with if I add a little surgar to it. I just dont know what to eat or snack on. I HATE fruit and Veggies. Except for green beans, peas and corn. Idk what to do anymore. If anyone could please help me. Add some ideas of what yall eat or recipes or websites. Im scared im going to kill my self from making myself sick if I dont get this under control.

My best suggestion would be to look into the low residue diet info and start from there, see if you can manage to eat the foods that are more suitable to living with crohns or uc. Low residue basically means avoiding good that are high in fibre, carbonated drinks, caffeine, avoiding some fruit and veg though there are some good options, foods containing nuts and seeds, corn, spicy foods, and I know there's something I've forgotten. It might be useful to take a multivitamin too. I'm not an expert about it but I know there will be others that can give you more info, what I've suggested is what has worked for me but everyone is different, it's trial and error, but the low residue diet is a good starting point. Good luck, I really hope you find some foods you can tolerate.

I also do well on a low-fibre diet. It's one of the few diets used by people with Crohn's (and other digestive disorders) that is recommended by conventional medicine.

Your mom may be right - if you're underweight it can affect your fertility, as well as causing other lasting health problems. Try and keep your weight healthy and your diet reasonably balanced even if you don't always enjoy what you're eating, but also experiment with foods to try and find things you do like.

A low fibre diet does exclude a lot of fruit and veg and "healthy" foods, but there are a few that are allowed - bananas, avocados, fruit juice, smooth vegetable soups. Beans, peas and corn are some of the hardest to digest though, so you may not want to continue with them.

Other easy to digest foods that are low-fibre and healthy include fish, white meat, eggs, white bread, white rice and pasta, smooth peanut butter, yoghurt. You can eat some tasty things too - cakes and biscuits are easy to digest as long as they don't include dried fruit, nuts or coconut. There are also certain breakfast cereals that are easy on digestion: Corn Flakes, Rice Krispies, Frosties, CoCo Pops and some others. These cereals generally have vitamins and minerals added to them.

Some people with Crohn's find they can tolerate fibre though - a low-fibre diet could be a starting point and then later you can try other foods and see if they affect you - there will be some trial and error involved. Some people find they do better eating lactose-free, or gluten-free. See what suits you, but avoid any extreme or "alternative" diets that are overly restrictive. Another thing some people find useful is to see a dietician. A dietician won't be able to tell you exactly which foods are best for you, as that's very individual, but they may be able to help you out with suggestions, motivate you, and make sure your diet includes everything you need.

Do you eat meals with your family? Would your mom be interested in helping you find some recipes that you like and that are easy to digest?

My docotor told me Gluten-free isnt really going to help. You have helped me out A LOT. Im just a little curious about, even if eat certain things and dont get upset with it... is it still damaging my insides. Im scared of getting surgery and I dont want to have a poop bag on me. And I want to have a good pregnancy. (In the future)

Deonnyyy,
I know what you mean!! I struggled with diet for a long time, mostly because MD basically didn't address it and the other information from people and internet is confusing/overwhelming and even people with Crohns don't agree on what is best. You will need to educate yourself and figure out what works for you.
I'll tell you what I ended up doing: I am on the Paleo diet and try to consider Low FODMAP. I am not strict about it, I can eat eggs, white rice and dark chocolate. I also still cook with some butter. I juice veggies/fruits every morning. I cook all other vegetable very well.
BUT, overall this diet has been a game changer for me. I will admit though, it is time consuming and you have to commit to learning how to cook.
Wishing you well.

My docotor told me Gluten-free isnt really going to help. You have helped me out A LOT. Im just a little curious about, even if eat certain things and dont get upset with it... is it still damaging my insides. Im scared of getting surgery and I dont want to have a poop bag on me. And I want to have a good pregnancy. (In the future)
I have a "poop bag" - it's not so bad! It's unlikely you will do yourself any harm in that sense from eating. Having a good doctor, finding the right medications and getting regular testing is the best way to stay on top of the disease. You may well find that some foods make you feel bad - they will increase symptoms, but won't do lasting damage. Gluten-free helps people with coeliac disease, and if your doctor tells you it won't help, he's most likely ruled out coeliac disease and is right to tell you that it's ok for you to eat gluten. You're more likely to do much more subtle damage to your health through a poor diet over a long-term period than to somehow make your Crohn's worse by eating the wrong foods.

Keep your diet balanced and simple to start with - try making each meal contain some kind of protein (meat, fish, eggs, dairy) and carbohydrate (pasta, potatoes, rice), and have sweet things and treats for snacks. Make sure your weight is healthy - this is the most important thing regarding fertility. Try cutting down on fibrous foods, as suggested in the previous posts, and other foods that people with Crohn's often find problems - things like very greasy food, spicy food, caffeine, alcohol - some people have problems with these foods, others don't; spend some time testing out whether or not you do. But don't stress over your diet too much! If you have family or friends who you think eat healthily, try eating what they eat with them.

Personally, I would avoid diets such as Paleo, Specific Carbohydrate Diet, FODMAP diet, etc. They can be extreme, and if you're struggling over fear of food, they may well just reinforce those fears (without good reason) because they are so rigid and tell you to cut out so many things from your diet. There's no good evidence they will help you. They make social eating very difficult. It really sounds to me that you don't need an extreme, restrictive diet at this point.

If you don't mind my asking (feel free not to answer), are you a healthy weight at the moment? If you're underweight, you may like to ask your doctor about supplements such as Ensure and Fortisip. These may be helpful to you even if your weight is normal - they contain all the vitamins, minerals, protein, carbohydrate and fats you need. They're like flavoured milkshakes (you can also get some that are like juices, or savoury ones like soups). Some people use them in place of meals, but you can also drink them alongside having your ordinary food. I think they could help you as they mean you don't have to worry about whether your diet is providing all the nutrients you need, so if you're not doing well getting fruit and veg in, if you're drinking a couple of these a day, you'll still be getting your vitamins, and you can concentrate on finding foods that don't upset your digestive system and which you like to eat. Your doctor may prescribe them or you can buy similar products such as Complan in supermarkets and chemists. If you find yourself really stuck and struggling to know what to choose for your next meal, you can have the supplement and know it's good for you.

Last edited:
So what makes you get a poop bag. Im so confused...
I got an ileostomy to improve my quality of life; but I am an extreme case. It didn't matter what I ate, I'd be in the bathroom, in pain, for hours every day (or night). Since getting the ileostomy, it takes me five minutes to empty my bag, and I do that a couple of times a day. No more needing to give up hours of my life every day in the bathroom, I love it.

Unless you have doctors telling you you'll need surgery soon, don't worry about it, you may well never need it. And if you do ever need it, it may not be as bad as you think.

Do you have a good relationship with your doctor(s)? A doctor can probably explain to you the best way of managing your disease, specific to you, and the possibilities of needing surgery - or not - in the future. A good dietician may also be able to help you understand the role that diet plays in keeping you healthy, and hopefully sort out some of your confusion! You'll read a lot of different things about diet and Crohn's on the Internet, it is confusing. Try not to stress about it too much!

Unxmas as has given tons of good advice especially the diet stuff,I have mild to moderate
Crohns but when it plays up it's doesn't,t feel mild or moderate but I haven,t had any surgery and want to keep it that way as varied a diet as you can take is best if your feeling dodgy I,me a big fan of homemade soups you know what's in it and there good for you.medication wise they aren't,t generally a magic bullet and can take a while to work but they do work.good luck

You actually sound a lot like me ... I have had Crohn's for a little while now, and you'll get used to some of it and find that other things aren't so bad. (I feared Prednisone when first prescribed it, and the next bad flare, I was suggesting it.) I haven't had to have any surgeries thus far, so not everyone ends up with surgeries (fingers crossed we can stay that way).

As for what to eat, I would suggest that you try experimenting with smoothies. I find that it can sometimes be easier to drink your calories. I would recommend Pediasure over Ensure if you want to go that route - I think it tastes better, and it is safe if you might be lactose-intolerant.
One smoothie I came up with is my "Breakfast in a Blender":
1 banana
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup cereal (Crispix, Special K, or Rice Krispies work well - avoid things like Kix)
Milk
Blend until the cereal isn't gritty anymore.
You can substitute for any sensitivities ... No dairy? Soy or almond milk would work. Peanut butter substitutes should be fine, too.
For the cereal, you can use whatever you have around, though I'd try to pick something more flaky or crispy, as those will pulverize better than things like Kix and Cocoa Puffs. It's a great use for the dusty end of the cereal box.
For the milk you're going to want to add enough to get it to blend nicely and be a drinkable consistency.

Also, don't be afraid to eat whatever happens to sound good ... Beef teriyaki sounds good at 7am ... have beef teriyaki; risotto craving at 3am ... go for it! Don't feel like you need to conform to whatever you think might be normal, and don't worry about what someone else might think about what you're eating or drinking. If it is helping, then you should have it.

I eat a lot of cooked veggies(broccolli cauliflower), refried beans(fully mashed), a bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon about 2 servings and lots of wheat. walnuts canola oil and pistachios for source of dietary fat.

absolutly no milk(increases symptoms from lactose) but cheese helps my disease probably because its fermented has no lactose.

Th SCD diet has helped many people with gi diseases reduce some of their symptoms read the book breaking the vicious cycle. Ive based much of my dietary decisions on this book.

junk food must become a thing of the pats for you since you have IBD, I do not eat any meat at all it make my symptoms worse and has no fiber. Some fibers seem to help while some seem to make disease worse, avoid fiber supplements.

Also, don't be afraid to eat whatever happens to sound good ... Beef teriyaki sounds good at 7am ... have beef teriyaki; risotto craving at 3am ... go for it! Don't feel like you need to conform to whatever you think might be normal, and don't worry about what someone else might think about what you're eating or drinking. If it is helping, then you should have it.
Good advice, I think this is an approach worth trying, at least for people who are struggling to eat enough or decide what to eat.

deonnyyy, it's been a while since you posted, I hope you're feeling a bit better about food by now. :)

My doctor tried to tell me gluten wasn't the cause of my major symptoms after failing to treat it with medications. I cut gluten and had a significant improvement. When they still denied it I stopped going to that doctor.

Keep your diet balanced and simple to start with - try making each meal contain some kind of protein (meat, fish, eggs, dairy) and carbohydrate (pasta, potatoes, rice), and have sweet things and treats for snacks.
There's a lot of bad advice in this thread. If you want to heal once and for good, stick with a diet high in COOKED vegetables. Try to make meals simple (one or two vegetables) and either with a protein food or a starch. Cut out the pasta if it's wheat based.

You'll do better without potatoes (a nightshade). Just eat some sweet potatoes/yam instead. And try to stay away from rice (arsenic issue today). Instead of having sweet things (commonly fruit, honey, or something with sugar added), save your appetite for a nice plate of cooked sweet peas or cubed/sliced steamed rutabagas. Put some organic yogurt on those rutabagas if they seem a little plain. I have a really mean sweet pea recipe which includes over 1 pound of sweet peas with baked chard/kholorabi/collard/kale leaf chips for a slammin breakfast.

The only fish you should be eating are sardines (quite low in mercury). 3-4 cans/week is good. Always try to eat the yolk in eggs raw. Learn to live without peanut butter (aflatoxin mold issue). You could try some almond butter instead.

If you have trouble digesting cooked vegetables, you'll probably want to start on a low dose of pancreatin and ox bile digestive aids (especially if you're underweight). There's a lot more I could say here, but this should help you start out.