• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Food allergy identified and now in remission

I was diagnosed with moderate to severe Crohn's in 2012 when I had an obstruction that perforated, and resulted in an abscess and small bowel resection. I decided that I did not want to take biologics.

In 2013 I went to an integrative medicine MD, who did a lot of tests, including a blood test for food allergies. It showed a major allergy to wheat (not gluten). I stopped eating wheat, and within a few weeks I had no pain when I ate. My stools became firmer and less frequent. Within a couple of months they were normal and once or twice a day. I also tried LDN for a year, and though I didn't have many symptoms, a scope in 2014 showed slight inflammation and a small ulcer at the terminal ileum, and my diagnosis was downgraded to mild Crohn's.

When my GI said that avoiding a food I was allergic to was not affecting my disease, even though he downgraded the diagnosis, we parted ways.

I have been "wheat free" for over three years. I also take supplements (B12 - sublinguinal, D3, CBD oil made from hemp, probiotics and multivitamin and juice several times a week).

I found a new GI in the fall of 2015, who agreed that what I was doing was helping, but still felt that I needed to be on medication. He also said that he preferred biologics, but if I was not willing to take them, he did not want me to go untreated and would use something else. He said that the small bowel issues in 2012 indicated disease in the small bowel. I argued that since no one had ever "looked" at my small bowel, that might not be true, and people without Crohn's also have bowel obstructions.

He was leery of doing a pill cam, due to possible scar tissue from the surgery, so I had a full GI tract MRI with contrast in October 2015. The results were no inflammation and no sign of active disease anywhere in the GI tract. New diagnosis is remission.

I am wondering if anyone else has been tested for food allergies? If so, has it made a difference? The doctor who did the tests for me said the blood test is more accurate than the pin poke tests. It is also more expensive (mine was $1,200, I live in Alaska), but worth every cent in the long run.

I was tested for food allergies through a blood test. It was very expensive. It showed i was allergic to Lemons, Grapefruit, Brilliant black coloring, Carbamates ( which are in pesticides, insecticides etc..), yellow #5. Oddly enough, I was already avoiding most of those things already. However, pesticides are kind of hard to avoid, especially as they are in the air( people who spray their lawns etc..) but I do my best to avoid it.

My close friend also was tested for food allergies. The problem is that she said at one time she came back being allergic to almonds then the next time she was tested it showed something else( I think dairy). She tries to avoid all the things that come back as being allergic to her.

I have not been diagnosed with Crohn's but have been having intestinal issues for 5 years now. My gastro keeps saying IBS. I do not believe in IBS, it is just a name slapped on symptoms they use when they have no clue what is going on.

Did you ever have a test for Celiac disease or SIBO? My good friend has been dealing with SIBO she she also has inflammation in her Jejunum area in the small bowel. She also found out she is celiac as she had a blood test that found antibodies to gluten. Did they take a biopsy when you had the small bowel resection? If so, did it specifically find Crohn's?

I am working with a functional Practitioner. She did loads of blood work on me. She did a test called a C4A blood test which was very high in my case. She said it is related to Toxic mold issues. She said people who are exposed to toxic mold ( either at their work place or in their home) can have all sorts of immune system issues including gut issues. Also I had a blood test that showed I have a genetic mutation where it is hard for my body to detox and get rid of the bad stuff. I have other health issues besides my gut( I also have Interstitial Cystitis) which is an awful painful bladder disease.

It is a tough call on the allergy blood test. My one allergist said they are not reliable. In her opinion she said if you are truly allergic to a food you will have a major reaction to it very quickly ( like hives, itching all over, anaphlaxis etc..). I am not sure I agree with that totally though. I think we can have food sensitivities that do not show up as an actual allergy. For instance, I have serious issues with Gluten and have been Gluten Free for the last 10 years, but I do not have celiacs disease. Food sensitivities can cause loads of issues in my opinion.

I have had a chiropractor who practices alternative medicine do testing for food allergies. I also know from personal experience what foods aggravate my intestines. Don't neglect a doctor monitoring your disease.

my little penguin

Staff member
There is a very distinct difference between IgE mediated food allergies -
These are life threatening and tend to happen within 2 hours of ingestion
Rast blood and skin tests for IgE food allergies can have a lot of false positives
So you really need a board certified allergist to help you figure out true food allergies

Mixed IgE or delayed allergies happen within a few days and general affect the Gi tract
These are more food sensitivities
Testing such IgG is not helpful
Basically keeping food diaries and doing elimination diets are the only way to determine these

Glad you found what triggered your issues
But being followed by a doctor is key

There is a very distinct difference between IgE mediated food allergies -
These are life threatening and tend to happen within 2 hours of ingestion
Rast blood and skin tests for IgE food allergies can have a lot of false positives
So you really need a board certified allergist to help you figure out true food allergies

Mixed IgE or delayed allergies happen within a few days and general affect the Gi tract
These are more food sensitivities
Testing such IgG is not helpful
Basically keeping food diaries and doing elimination diets are the only way to determine these

Glad you found what triggered your issues
But being followed by a doctor is key
Amen.

Thank you for the replies! I appreciate hearing your thoughts / opinions and advice.

Ron and my little penguin, I am still seeing my GI on a regular basis! I know that Crohn's is considered incurable, but I also believe that is only because they don't know what causes it. Until there is a cure, I will see the GI.

ihurt, I have been tested for celiac and it was negative. I had never heard of SIBO. I will do some research on that.

I do know that cutting wheat has stopped all pain when I eat, and I have normal bowel movements. When I do get a hold of wheat, I have pain within 30 minutes, and diarrhea shortly after that. (it took me a while to figure out there was wheat in soy sauce..). I don't believe that the wheat is necessarily a trigger food for Crohn's symptoms, but the reaction to the wheat was causing issues that further aggravated the Crohn's. By removing that, and getting my vitamin levels up to normal, etc, I think my immune system is starting to work right again, and believe that is why I am in remission.

Whether this is the beginning of a "cure" for my Crohn's... I don't, but I also am not willing to stop anything I am doing to find out if I would come out of remission.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone else has found that their "trigger" food is something they are actually allergic to, and if so, has avoiding it really helped.