• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Trouble breathing with lialda

Im on a long list of meds from entrocot to flagly and cipro to a spasm and reflux med to tramafol.

for 8+ weeks i was also on pentasa but after continuing symptoms the gi decided to take me off the pentasa today and switch to the lialda.

within an hour i am having trouble breathing. almost like i can not get enough air. has anyone experienced this? it also makes me sleepy

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Do you still feel that way Fosterfamily2303? Sounds like an allergic reaction. If symptoms haven't changed then go to the ER and have them contact your doctor. I'd make sure you speak with your doctor before you take it again.

Do you still feel that way Fosterfamily2303? Sounds like an allergic reaction. If symptoms haven't changed then go to the ER and have them contact your doctor. I'd make sure you speak with your doctor before you take it again.
Yes hours later and I still feel that way maybe not as bad. I took my entrocot (it makes me sleepy) to help me go to sleep. But now I. Awake at 245 :(

I did..and all they said was go to the er. Needless to say I didn't. I even asked if I could just take a Benadryl and they said no . I discontinued that med and went back to the Pentasa. My normal GI doc is out on maternity leave...so I'll wait to August to go see her.

My blood levels are pretty normal showing my IBD is inactive but I still have pain, D and mucus etc. I'm so lost lol. Maybe in aug they just give me something stronger.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
When was your last scope and tests to see the small bowel (MRI, small bowel follow through, CT scan etc)? Sometimes blood work really doesn't show the whole story.

Waiting until August is a really long time. Is your GP willing to work with you at all? Or did your GI's temp replacement (I'm assuming that's who you were seeing) suggest anything else?

When was your last scope and tests to see the small bowel (MRI, small bowel follow through, CT scan etc)? Sometimes blood work really doesn't show the whole story.

Waiting until August is a really long time. Is your GP willing to work with you at all? Or did your GI's temp replacement (I'm assuming that's who you were seeing) suggest anything else?
i had a ct a few days ago of the pelvis to look fpr abscess. showed nothing. my last coloncopy was march and i had the pill cam done in may. (that showed nohing either). colonscopybiopsys showed in active ibd through outy entire colon...first it was just here and there and then the 2nd colonscopy inarch showed it everywhere but not active? i had to have emergency sugery because i was in souch pain..that showed a lot of scared tissue and they found my entire transverse colon an odd cor almost white. like if it scared over..thy truely not sure..never biopsied it?

the lady Im seeing is a nurse practionier. they all seem scared to give me something stronger. they keep saying if i have a lil imorovement bit not enough they will. evwn the nurse prac. said yes i think eventually u will meed something stronger. they are not sure if my pain and D Is Ibd related since my test is showinh it inactive.

i also said something to them about everyday body aches and memory loss and they keep telling me that is not Ibd related?

Im honeatly so lost

so yea he confirmed Ibd. they keep switching their minds if its uc or crohns.

i have tried so far....canasa, asacol, liadia, pentasa, Entocort, 3 diff meds for spasms , reflux med and tramadol for pain. pentasa and entrocot and tramadol seem to help a lil but not enough.

o yea and i just did 5 stool samples and they did say they are thinking about redoing another colonscopy :(

I was on asacol 400mg tabs, 3-3x a day for a couple years.
I never had any problems but then my insurance wouldn't pay and was put on lialda 2.5mg 4 tabs 1 x a day.
I had a flareup and went on rowasa 2 x's a day. I was doing okay with it so I cut it to 1 x a day.
Now I'm having every side effect you can imagine. Including trouble breathing. I have severe COPD as it is.
Is there another med that doesn't have messamiline in it they might try?
I'd call today but it's Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday.

I almost went to the ER this morning but held out. This isn't any fun at all.

I was on asacol 400mg tabs, 3-3x a day for a couple years.
I never had any problems but then my insurance wouldn't pay and was put on lialda 2.5mg 4 tabs 1 x a day.
I had a flareup and went on rowasa 2 x's a day. I was doing okay with it so I cut it to 1 x a day.
Now I'm having every side effect you can imagine. Including trouble breathing. I have severe COPD as it is.
Is there another med that doesn't have messamiline in it they might try?
I'd call today but it's Sunday and tomorrow is a holiday.

I almost went to the ER this morning but held out. This isn't any fun at all.
HOLY CRAPANOLA!!It wasn't the Lialda after all! Praise the Lord! It was my estrogen ring giving me the side effects!
Once I realized it I took it out and no more ill feelings.
So happy to be able to use my Lialda daily and Rowasa when needed. :dance: