• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

SCD/Paleo/GAPS Support for January 2013

I would like to go ahead and start our January thread :D The December one is kind of full! Besides, I have an exciting recipe that I don't want you to miss!

Remember, this is a support thread for sharing ideas, etc. If you would like to debate whether any of these diets are a good idea, please be respectful and begin a new Thread.

Thanks ya'll!

I have finally found a winning cookie recipe. I am so excited about these! Not only does E love them but my other (non-SCD) kids are eating them up too! It is grain, egg, sugar, and peanut free so it meets many diet requirements.

SCD Lemon Cookies

In one bowl mix 2.5 cups blanched almond flour with
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt

In a larger mixing bowl
Mix until creamy
1/2 cup butter (or scd safe butter substitute, not olive oil though)
1/2 cup honey
3 tsp lemon extract (look for a safe brand)

Add the dry mix to the creamy mix, 1/2 at a time, beating in between until well combined.

Refrigerate for 30 minutes

Form 1/2-1 inch balls onto parchment paper lined baking sheet. Leave plenty of room because they spread :)
Bake @ 350 degrees for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool before removing from paper.

You can omit the lemon and add in 1 TBS vanilla and sprinkle with cinnamon for a snicker doodle type cookie.

Last edited:

KWalker

I'm super busy with family Christmas stuff until the 1st of the year but once I return I'll have more to contribute as well as the start to my SCD journey

I'm super busy with family Christmas stuff until the 1st of the year but once I return I'll have more to contribute as well as the start to my SCD journey
I figured I wouldn't see you much until the 1st since that is when you officially begin. I can't wait to see how it goes for you!

That's a very pleasing weight gain. I had some resistance when talking to my GI about following the Blood Type diet, but once he understood that it would provide all the nutrition that I needed, he was quite happy for me to follow it.

nogutsnoglory

I know these diets are against starch but what's so bad about using kudzu, arrowroot starch for cooking baked goods?

KWalker

I just got back from the holidays so I will be starting the diet tomorrow because nothing is open to get groceries today. I got a ton of nuts (hazelnuts, pecans, almonds) from a family member that was moving and didn't want to bring them so I got huge bags of unopened nuts that I can definitely use.

I've actually been contemplating doing the diet without the intro diet and just go right to legal foods only and then see (for myself and others) if the intro diet is absolutely necessary and see how effective I can be without it. My plan would be to go to the intro diet if I didn't notice a difference. I'm undecided at this point how I plan to go about it but I have a few hours to think about it.

I read the book and it taught me a lot of things I didn't know, but it totally makes sense.

nogutsnoglory

Charleigh I do eat white potatoes sparingly. I try to avoid nightshades. I eat a lot of sweet potato though. I'm not a low-carb person myself. I have been moving away from paleo lately and liberalizing my diet.

I've actually been contemplating doing the diet without the intro diet and just go right to legal foods only and then see (for myself and others) if the intro diet is absolutely necessary and see how effective I can be without it. My plan would be to go to the intro diet if I didn't notice a difference. I'm undecided at this point how I plan to go about it but I have a few hours to think about it.
Are you symptom free (or pretty close to it)? I would try skipping the intro diet if I were symptom free.

I know these diets are against starch but what's so bad about using kudzu, arrowroot starch for cooking baked goods?
Paleo is only anti some starches (well, some paleos are anti all starch)
I use arrowroot, it's paleo

The logic (for SCD) is that starch is food for bacteria and if you have the wrong bacteria then you don't want to feed them.

I look forward to following this thread.
Hugh, is there any specific book or website you recommend for Paleo diet, specifically which foods are paleo-safe and which are not?
I am fairly familiar with gaps/SCD, and I know paleo is similar, but I didn't realize some starches were 'allowed'.
Is the fundamental theory behind paleo the same as for SCD, in that it works because of starving out the 'bad bacteria' in the gut?
:)

is there any specific book or website you recommend for Paleo diet, specifically which foods are paleo-safe and which are not?
I am fairly familiar with gaps/SCD, and I know paleo is similar, but I didn't realize some starches were 'allowed'.
Is the fundamental theory behind paleo the same as for SCD, in that it works because of starving out the 'bad bacteria' in the gut?
:)
the fundamental theory behind paleo is that we evolved over millions of years with a certain way of eating (basically - whatever was available)
since the invention of agriculture (the neolithic era) we have been eating foods that were not part of our evolutionary diet, and this has accelerated at an amazing pace since the industrial revolution and again since the second world war (pesticides and fertiliser), and again with the onset of the GM era to the point where our diets (SAD – standard american diet) are now 70%+ of energy from grain, dairy, processed vegetable oils and sugar as opposed to 0% in paleolithic times.

Some people seem to do well on this diet (for a time) but others do not, some do really poorly.

I'd recommend rob wolf, he has (had?) UC, was a research biochemist, and was a review editor for the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism
http://robbwolf.com/what-is-the-paleo-diet/
there's plenty on the web.
Food list (one of hundreds out there)
http://paleodietlifestyle.com/paleo-diet-food-list/
Or this one from Lauren Cordain
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dw1MuD9EP4
but once again google it, there's lots out there

The paleo diet is a few peoples idea of what optimal human nutrition looks like

KWalker

today's the day I start the SCD! I'm just getting ready to go out and grab some groceries and then I will start my thread so you guys can follow it. Do you guys have any suggestions on things I should buy? It sucks because I want to really up my fruits and veggies but they go bad so fast that I always end up wasting some.

today's the day I start the SCD! I'm just getting ready to go out and grab some groceries and then I will start my thread so you guys can follow it. Do you guys have any suggestions on things I should buy? It sucks because I want to really up my fruits and veggies but they go bad so fast that I always end up wasting some.

We have had to alter the SCD a tiny bit for E. He doesn't seem to do well on beef. I would like to try again after he is more healed. I would highly suggest that if you try the diet and aren't seeing progress then back up and start again with a slow introduction of foods as described on the pecan bread website.

www.pecanbread.com

This is what we did with E. He is up 6 pounds now and he is solid ~ yahoo! I am over the moon.

Groceries?
Natural peanut butter
Honey, honey, honey :)
meats
safe veggies
eggs ~ lots of eggs
fruit ~ especially bananas

Do you have almond flour? Blanched is the best, not natural as the skins are irritating and the blanched just makes a better baked product.

Coconut oil is great too.

I make coconut milk with the finely shredded dried organic coconut. I find it easier to make than the almond milk. I blend it on high and the strain through cheesecloth. Very good.

We had a big check up with E today. We had a great appointment. I won't say that the doctor is "on board" with the idea of no meds and I think he has concerns but he can't find a reason to fight us on it either. He sent him for a recheck on labs, he gave me some occult stool sample cards to take at home and drop by his office at certain times. He wants to see him again in 2 months to see how his weight is going and to recheck labs, etc. He wants him closely monitored for sure. At this time, he is fine with us giving this a try. I think the fact that E is having zero diarrhea right now is a big key too. I feel good about it!
Oh, I also gave him the study on Low Dose Naltrexone. He seemed interested and said he would look into it.
E is up 6 pounds and he is solid ~ seriously, what more could we ask for? I think we are on a good track.

KWalker

Oh no, I'm sorry E doesn't seem to be tolerating meat. That must make it even harder. I did groceries this morning and actually got everything on that list lol. I have a few questions about groceries though/things I noticed.

1.If Welch's grape juice is legal, would the Welch's grape jam be legal?

2.The Welch's grape juice says it's concentrated, are other concentrated juices legal as long as they are 100%? I've seen some juices that are made from 100% natural fruits.

3. Can we have apple sauce if the ingredients are water, concentrated apple juice, absorbic acid? The jar says made with pure apples

4. I found an apple juice that says made from pure apples only as well. Apples and water are the only ingredients. Would that be legal?

5. I went to Walmart and got the Kraft all natural peanut butter for like $7 then I went to no frills and saw a "Blue Menu" all natural peanut butter that comes in smooth, extra crunchy, etc with the same ingredients, but only like $4.50!

6. I also found a small bag of almond flour at No Frills for only $1.77. It's not a lot of flour but I definitely think I could get atleast a cake out of one bag...so I bought two lol.

7.I found a drink called "Arthur's" smoothies. http://www.arthursfresh.com/en/smoothies-101.aspx I think these would also be legal and came in some delicious flavors as well!

As I'm writing this, I have banana chips baking in the oven for a snack, and I'm getting ready to make some hazelnut milk!

1.If Welch's grape juice is legal, would the Welch's grape jam be legal?
The jam will have sugar and starchy thickener so it will most likely be illegal.

2.The Welch's grape juice says it's concentrated, are other concentrated juices legal as long as they are 100%? I've seen some juices that are made from 100% natural fruits.
I think as long as they are 100% natural juice they should be okay. E does great on 100% grape juice.

3. Can we have apple sauce if the ingredients are water, concentrated apple juice, absorbic acid? The jar says made with pure apples

4. I found an apple juice that says made from pure apples only as well. Apples and water are the only ingredients. Would that be legal?
These should be okay. Elaine would say not to trust canned applesauce because of unlisted ingredients but that is where the book shows its age. I don't think they can legally "not" list ingredients anymore. You are always safest when you make it yourself because you know for 100% what is in it, but reality is....you only have so many hours in a day so sometimes you do your best.

5. I went to Walmart and got the Kraft all natural peanut butter for like $7 then I went to no frills and saw a "Blue Menu" all natural peanut butter that comes in smooth, extra crunchy, etc with the same ingredients, but only like $4.50!

6. I also found a small bag of almond flour at No Frills for only $1.77. It's not a lot of flour but I definitely think I could get atleast a cake out of one bag...so I bought two lol.
We do not have those brands here so I really don't know. Just make sure it is only peanuts and salt. Some natural brands include sugar. A small bag of almond flour is a great way to try it. If you find you like it, try ordering in bulk from www.honeyville.com or www.nuts.com as the per pound price is much cheaper.

7.I found a drink called "Arthur's" smoothies. http://www.arthursfresh.com/en/smoothies-101.aspx I think these would also be legal and came in some delicious flavors as well!

As I'm writing this, I have banana chips baking in the oven for a snack, and I'm getting ready to make some hazelnut milk!
The banana chips sound yummy and let me know how the hazelnut milk turns out. I bet that will be awesome!

I made the best treat ever the other day. I took the cookie recipe that I posted for lemon cookies and replaced the 3 tsp lemon extract for vanilla extract. I then made a peanut butter fluff. I whipped the thick part of the canned coconut milk (from a brand that is only coconut and water) until it was like whipped cream. I added in some peanut butter and honey and beat it some more. I spread a thick layer of the fluff on a cooled vanilla cookie and then placed another on top (like a sandwich cookie) and placed them in the freezer. They taste just like ice cream sandwiches. My non-scd kids are eating them up too ~ by choice, lol.

Sounds delicious... Charleigh, just curious, is E on any medication or are you using JUST diet at the moment?
E is on no meds at this time. We are working closely with a pediatric GI. He is doing awesome so far....beginning to gain weight and his stool is now solid and only 1~2 times a day. I couldn't ask for more!

KWalker

you guys don't have the Blue Menu foods over there? I believe that's just like a healthy version of the president's choice brand. I still want to try those cookies you posted, and need to try a recipe for some sort of icing. I think that's going to really help me stay on track if I can find alternatives for the foods I ate in the past. I actually have a ton of pure vanilla extract as well that I didn't even know was legal.

I just saw a snack idea and it was called "ants on a branch". It was a piece of celery and then you put peanut butter on top and then line up almonds on top. I'm sure other nuts would be fine too.

Since my last post, I finished the hazelnut milk already. Its delicious! You just blend the hazelnuts with water and then strain them through a cheese cloth so the "pulp" stays and then all you get is the pure "milk". I'll be using it in my coffee in the morning with sugar but it tastes delicious as well. And now the pulp is like a hazelnut flour so I can use that for another ingredient!

Fluffy 7 Minute Frosting – SCD Style
Ingredients
1 cup honey
1/4 cup water
4 eggs whites, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
In a saucepan, bring honey and water to a boil over medium or medium/high heat. Boil for 3-4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 242 degrees F (firm-ball stage). Meanwhile, beat egg whites in a mixing bowl until foamy. Slowly pour in hot honey mixture; continue to beat on high for 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Add vanilla. Continue beating until frosting reaches desired consistency, about 2 minutes.
Makes a large mixing bowl full of frosting.

Marshmallow Icing - adapted from from Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall.
This frosting takes no time to make at all so don't walk away from it, and don't worry about having to done too early you cake has to cool before you frost it anyway :) It also makes a good bit so save the rest in the fridge it will keep for a while.

1/2 cup honey
1 egg white
1/2 tsp vanilla

In a large sauce pan heat the honey over medium heat until it reaches 248 degrees (firm ball stage, if you don't have a candy thermometer this stage is when the honey will form a "firm ball" when dropped into cool water. This process takes about five minutes so watch it!). Whip your egg white until it it's frothy. Pour the hot honey into the egg white mixing on low. Increase the speed once all the honey is combined and whip until the icing is very thick and forms soft peaks. Fold in you vanilla. Frost your cake.

KWalker

Thanks for that! My banana chips are done. The recipe I used says to dip the bananas in lemon juice so they don't stick to the pan in the oven so they taste they have the bitter/sweet taste you would expect from a banana and a lemon, and it's pretty good! They really shrink in size though lol.

Do you count calories? I feel like I'm not eating enough and could see myself losing weight. So far today I've ate an omelette, 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, 1 decent sized cucumber and some celery with peanut butter on top. That's all healthy and everything but I don't think that provides any significant calories.

Another question I had for you was if you had trouble finding side dishes for dinner and what you use. Tonight we're going to have honey garlic chicken breasts, steamed vegetables (green/waxed beans and carrots) and we went out to buy some cauliflower to try the mashed cauliflower. I would be fine with eating just meat and vegetables but again I feel like it's not enough.

KWalker

Also, Charleigh and everybody else looking for SCD/Paleo recipes, I STRONGLY suggest joining www.pinterest.com. There is so many different bloggers that "pin" SCD foods and there's tons of recipes/food ideas on there

We have had to alter the SCD a tiny bit for E. He doesn't seem to do well on beef. I would like to try again after he is more healed.
Have you tried him on lamb? I find that much easier to digest than beef. I do, however, know that it is harder for you to get organic/grass fed lamb there than it is here in Australia.

Have you tried him on lamb? I find that much easier to digest than beef. I do, however, know that it is harder for you to get organic/grass fed lamb there than it is here in Australia.
We haven't tried lamb. It isn't readily available where I live and it is quite expensive. I will keep that in mind though.

Do you count calories? I feel like I'm not eating enough and could see myself losing weight. So far today I've ate an omelette, 1 pint of cherry tomatoes, 1 decent sized cucumber and some celery with peanut butter on top. That's all healthy and everything but I don't think that provides any significant calories.

Another question I had for you was if you had trouble finding side dishes for dinner and what you use. Tonight we're going to have honey garlic chicken breasts, steamed vegetables (green/waxed beans and carrots) and we went out to buy some cauliflower to try the mashed cauliflower. I would be fine with eating just meat and vegetables but again I feel like it's not enough.
I haven't bothered to count calories, but I probably should. Nuts are so high in calories. E was really losing weight on the diet before we introduced the nut butters and almond flour and now he is gaining pretty fast. I think we also hit a healing point where he was physically capable of gaining, which helped. You just adapt this mindset of eat to live not live to eat. The meal is sometimes a bit "odd" but it is more about calories and nutrition than food flavor combos. For example, last night he ate a skillet meal I made with ground pork, chopped zucchini, and mushrooms. He also had a plate of apples with peanut butter. Sometimes I supplement with almond flour bread, cookies, or muffins. I don't let him go light on any meals. He ate two eggs, two slices of almond bread with butter and honey, and a banana for breakfast this morning. The mashed cauliflower is good.

Some side dish thoughts...
* Colelslaw (southern style with only mayo and salt/pepper) ~ if you do ok with raw veggies. E can't handle coleslaw.
* Mushrooms (and peppers and onions too if you can tolerate them) sauteed in coconut oil
* Almond flour baked goods
* Mashed cauliflower
* apples with peanut butter
* fruit salad
* baked apples with cinnamon and honey
* avocado
* salad

I think that potatoes are so well tolerated by so many people with Crohn's. In the future I would like to try them with E. Not yet though :)

KWalker

Once I start making bread I think it would improve for me. In the mean time I'll start eating the raw nuts. Is the bread hard? I don't even think I've looked at a recipe for it yet. The same goes for the salad with dressing.

I thought about including potatoes too. I found organic potatoes at the store today. I wonder how bad it would be to do them. It would make the diet so much easier for me just to add them. There's so many ways you can make potatoes

KWalker

I just finished eating dinner. The mashed cauliflower wouldn't mash for some reason so it was more like a coleslaw actually and it got cold really fast but other than that it wasn't too bad. I'm going to hold off on potatoes for now.

KWalker

This may be TMI, and I'm sorry but I just went to the bathroom and it was literally like water gushing out. I always have diarrhea but this was much "worse" than usually. I still usually have to push and it's somewhat thick, but when I went just now it was like turning on a tap. Do you think that has anything to do with anything or is it strictly coincidence?

This may be TMI, and I'm sorry but I just went to the bathroom and it was literally like water gushing out. I always have diarrhea but this was much "worse" than usually. I still usually have to push and it's somewhat thick, but when I went just now it was like turning on a tap. Do you think that has anything to do with anything or is it strictly coincidence?
Have you eaten anything unusual in the last 24-48 hours? I am finding that everyone is different and can tolerate different foods. E can't eat beef, raw veggies,or even many cooked veggies. I am hoping that he will gain the ability to eat more veggies as he heals. If not, I will probably add quite a bit of fresh juice to his diet so he gets the nutrients without the fiber. I guess this is the beauty of doing an intro diet and adding in foods as you go ~ we have foods in 3 categories right now (1) foods that are definitely great (2) foods that have been tested and then tested again while isolated and have failed (3) red flag foods ~ foods we are unsure of so we are avoiding them until we can isolate them.
Also, E got worse before he got better. I think they called this a cleansing. In fact, he lost a good bit of weight before he started gaining. On day 2 he started running a fever (without any other symptoms) of 103 for about 48 hours and then on day 6 he ran another fever of 103 (no other symptoms) for about 36 hours. He also did exactly what many have described and at about 3~4 weeks he had a mini-flare and then things improved from there. He wasn't really all that great until then.

I hope this rambling somehow helps. Oh and I am a Crohn's mama ~ we are used to talking about things that many people would consider TMI, lol.

I don't want you to think that the first 3~4 weeks were all bad. I saw some improvements in the frequency of his stools and his abdominal cramping was significantly better. I just didn't feel completely certain we were headed in the right direction until about the 4th week. Then it was obvious.

E ate Chick-fil-a fries in a pinch once. We have been so very strict with this diet and that was his cheat. We ended up at a funeral longer than expected and we were truly stuck. I got him a grilled chicken breast and fries. He did fine with them. No symptoms at all. Not that I will take that as license, but it definitely makes me wonder about potatoes. I think once the doctor is fully convinced and on board and no longer watching him like a hawk it will be on our list of things to try.

KWalker

I'll keep an eye on it. I definitely don't feel as much urge today nor have I went as much. I counted my calories and I'm just over 1600 calories. For tomorrow, if I can get another decent sized meal in and some hazelnut milk I should be pretty decent. I'm prepared to potentially feel like crap for a little while but it only means things are working.

How long would you give my method before going to the intro diet?

How long would you give my method before going to the intro diet?
That would be a hard call. There are just so many variables at play. I would say at least a week or two. If you are seeing improvements then keep going a bit longer and see what happens. If you really aren't seeing much improvement at all by the two week mark then I would back up and try a slow intro. E only ate plain meat, well cooked carrots, ripe bananas, applesauce, and homemade juice gelatin for the 5 days or so. That was tough. The plan with that method is that you stick with that basic diet and then begin to introduce new foods and wait 3-4 days in between to look for reactions.

KWalker

I've been really thinking about this a lot lately and was even talking to another member about this so I wanted to see what you guys thought. If we know that rice is said to be really bad for you, why is it that Japan and asian countries are among the healthiest and have one of the highest life expectancy?

KWalker

I was at the grocery store today and found Oasis brand juices which I think are legal! They have cocktails which aren't legal because of the additives, but they also sell juice (labelled) and it contains only 100% real fruit.

Oh that short eh? I was thinking to try this for a month.
I would try the diet for longer than a month, but if you aren't seeing any improvements after a few weeks then maybe consider backing up and trying the intro with a slow introduction first. I am not sure that will be necessary for you since you are already doing pretty good. It was just a thought.

How are you feeling today?

KWalker

No complaints today. I've had a constant headache all day long starting from when I woke up but I've only gone to the bathroom twice today. That's really good for me especially being at home because I usually go 6-8 times a day when I'm at home. When I'm at school I go less because I don't feel comfortable going at school but when I'm home I go as soon as I feel the urge, and I haven't felt that today.

I have the info in my SCD thread but we made hashbrowns today using squash, carrots, and bacon and it was really good! I also made a smoothie with the hazelnut milk, a banana and some blackberries and it too was really good, and gives quite a bit of extra calories because of the nut milk.

Oh, and I made the cookies you posted the recipe for! We did it using the vanilla instead of the lemon. They're good. Plain, but good. I didn't put any frosting on them but they're good for a little snack

No complaints today. I've had a constant headache all day long starting from when I woke up but I've only gone to the bathroom twice today. That's really good for me especially being at home because I usually go 6-8 times a day when I'm at home. When I'm at school I go less because I don't feel comfortable going at school but when I'm home I go as soon as I feel the urge, and I haven't felt that today.

I have the info in my SCD thread but we made hashbrowns today using squash, carrots, and bacon and it was really good! I also made a smoothie with the hazelnut milk, a banana and some blackberries and it too was really good, and gives quite a bit of extra calories because of the nut milk.

Oh, and I made the cookies you posted the recipe for! We did it using the vanilla instead of the lemon. They're good. Plain, but good. I didn't put any frosting on them but they're good for a little snack
It sounds like you are already making great progress. I am so excited for you. Anytime you change your diet in a big way you can expect to not feel so great for a bit. Sometimes a week or two or even longer. You probably already know this though? E didn't feel so great for at least the first 2 weeks. Just press on, it gets better. E even makes comments about how much better he feels, how it is worth it, and how the food cravings subside and you lose your taste for sugar, etc.

The hashbrowns sound good. I think the vanilla cookies are very plain too. Not as yummy as the lemon, but they are good with peanut butter in between and they make great ice cream sandwiches with that coconut and peanut butter fluff I was talking about :) Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress and your diet.

KWalker

Yes, I was expecting to feel a difference. My headache is still here as well but I didn't wake up to go to the bathroom last night and I'm not going as much during the day! It just means I'm improving!

I wish I would have known the lemon were more tasty! lol. That's okay, I'm going to put peanut butter on them and that should really add some flavor. I'm going to make some icing too but we did a lot of cooking yesterday and still unpacking from the holidays so we decided to save that for another day

We haven't tried lamb. It isn't readily available where I live and it is quite expensive. I will keep that in mind though.
Trader Joe's grocery stores buy in bulk often have really good prices on lamb. if you have one near by, you may want check there.

Thanks, Ya noy. I had forgotten that Trader Joe's has lamb over there in the US. Lamb is so common here.

KWalker

I haven't found any yet. I went to the grocery store yesterday and the lady laughed at me because she thought cocoa butter was only used for sun tanning. I know you can buy the edible cocoa butter though. I wonder if raw cocoa powder would work as well? I will find the recipe again and share it

I haven't found any yet. I went to the grocery store yesterday and the lady laughed at me because she thought cocoa butter was only used for sun tanning. I know you can buy the edible cocoa butter though. I wonder if raw cocoa powder would work as well? I will find the recipe again and share it

I have a few things on my "eventually will test" list and raw cocoa powder is on it. The book doesn't really give a reason why cocoa powder is a no, no.

KWalker

I just think it's weird that raw cocoa butter is legal but raw cocoa powder is not. I remember reading something about the butter being mostly fat which cuts makes it high in other nutrients as well.

We're currently making banana bread and made delicious pancakes this morning! If you haven't joined Pinterest yet, you really should. It's got tons of good recipes on it

KWalker

Charleigh I feel like you've said it before but I can't seem to find it. Is E on any supplements? If so, which ones?

Charleigh I feel like you've said it before but I can't seem to find it. Is E on any supplements? If so, which ones?

He can't seem to tolerate probiotics at all. My hope is that one day, when he is more healed, he can tolerate them.

He takes the Freeda SCD multivitamin. It was formulated specifically for SCD and it contains no iron (a common problem in supplemental form for those with IBD). The serving size is 3 a day but I only have him take one.

Here is a link

http://www.amazon.com/Freeda-SCD-Mu...TF8&qid=1357429903&sr=8-1&keywords=scd+freeda

Okay and today I have E standing over my shoulder asking me to share a treat with you :)

Butterfinger candy

1/4 cup butter (softened at room temp) ~ I use a natural butter alternative for this, but if you do okay with butter then go for it.

1/4 cup honey

1/2 tsp vanilla

2T crunchy peanut butter

With an electric mixer, combine butter and vanilla with honey until light and fluffy. Add the peanut butter and mix together. Spoon small dollops onto waxed paper on a cookie sheet and then either refrigerate or freeze. He likes to freeze them and then suck on them and let them melt in his mouth :)

KWalker

It was sooooooo good! I have no doubt your son, and your whole family would love it! I couldn't even taste the broccoli. There's a picture in my thread

E is up to 81 pounds :dance:

That is 8 pounds above his lowest weight. I am pretty certain all of his weight gain has been in the last 3 weeks so I think this is quite encouraging!

KWalker

At first I read E is up 81 lbs lol. I was going to ask if you're giving him steroids haha.

I'm going to get my blood work tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some official answers soon

At first I read E is up 81 lbs lol. I was going to ask if you're giving him steroids haha.
I'm going to get my blood work tomorrow so hopefully I'll get some official answers soon
Ha, funny, I don't even think steroids could do that.

Comparing blood work is a great idea. I need to call and see what E's last blood work results are so I can compare.

Oh man, you are right. I thought I was posting it on this thread, lol. Oh well. That probably seemed very random on that other person's thread.

It was for a good friend. They had a tailgate themed party so I made him his own almond flour battered chicken tenders with safe honey mustard. I also sent him with some lemon "ice cream" sandwiches. They decorated cupcakes and he decorated one and gave it to his baby brother. He really didn't seem to be bothered. He told me the other day, "mom, I am just over the food thing...it doesn't really matter to me anymore". :)

Have you tried carrot and ginger soup? Won't put on weight but is absolutely delicious and the ginger is very good for the digestion. I had it first in a pub in England when I was visiting there a few years ago. Some recipes call for orange juice but I have never added it to mine.

KWalker

Has anyone needed to take cough/cold medicine while on SCD? What did you take? I am starting to feel a very mild changes in my throat that feel like I cold could be coming on so I was trying to be proactive by taking cough syrup not even thinking about whether it would be allowed on SCD and it gave me diarrhea. I know the medicine caused it because I had solid BM's for taking it.

Do we need, or do they even make specific medicine like that for people on the SCD? Do you think its really important to use only those? I want to get rid of this thing before it turns into a full blown cold

KWalker

Thanks a lot! Right now my throat is starting to feel sore, at the point where it doesn't hurt but you know it will probably get worse and now that its night time I've been coughing a little, but not much.

I guess I didn't think about pure honey either. I hope this doesn't set the diet back too much after taking that.

Thanks a lot! Right now my throat is starting to feel sore, at the point where it doesn't hurt but you know it will probably get worse and now that its night time I've been coughing a little, but not much.

I guess I didn't think about pure honey either. I hope this doesn't set the diet back too much after taking that.
Oh no! I hope you are feeling better today? Definitely try hot tea with honey.

KWalker

My throat is sore and I've been coughing here and there. Nothing serious, but it feels like the calm before the storm. I poured some honey down my throat this morning...it did nothing lol. If it is a cold coming on than that could be the cause of the diarrhea as well.

nogutsnoglory

Anyone here doing the GAPS diet? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. Tried SCD (didn't give it much of a go) and Paleo (gave it 6 months) already.

OK, I am SCD for more than 5 weeks now. When I started I could barely stand up from Crohn's arthritis. All my joints hurt. Since then, my inflammation is down. I now walk every evening. I am a cooking fool however, as I make almond muffins, focaccia, yogurt, yocheese, mayo and everything else. I eat a lot of veggies and fruit (I do not have Mr. D) and honey in my tea. The cost of the diet is scary. $71 US for 10 lbs almond flour. I have some pain and one SMALL breakthrough bleed. I made my own peanut butter, even roasting my own nuts, but don't eat it because WHERE IS MY FREAKIN BREAD LOL
I miss it. My GI doc (Harvard, Mt. Sinai) wants me to have fiber to reduce cancer risk as I am in my 50s. I get that in the food. I eat chicken liver and mushrooms to make up for some of the loss of vitamins B from a no grain diet.
So far, so good. I am "All IN" on this diet.

KWalker

Hey! Long time no see! That seems really expensive for almond flour. I found mine at a grocery store for $2/100g so it's about $10 per pound. That's awesome that you're doing well on the diet and I'm happy you came back to post an update!

Been busy cooking! I hope you are well. I have lots of food pics of my cooking.
$10/lb is $100/10lb
I think I invited you to my FB but I rarely go on

Hugs to you,
Marla

KWalker

Ohhhhh, I didn't even notice you put 10lbs. That's pretty good! At first I thought it said that price was for 1 pound. I swear I'm going blind lol.

And I haven't even noticed a fb invite. I usually just go on facebook on my phone and use it to see other's statuses.

Been busy cooking! I hope you are well. I have lots of food pics of my cooking.
$10/lb is $100/10lb
I think I invited you to my FB but I rarely go on

Hugs to you,
Marla
Maria, have you checked out www.honeyville.com They have it in bulk. I buy 25 pounds of blanched almond flour. They send out coupons occasionally too for 15% off. Sign up for their emails and you will get the codes. I did my last order with coupon and it came out to less than $5 per pound, including shipping. Just a thought :)

Glad to hear about your progress! Exciting stuff!

nogutsnoglory

How did your 6 months of paleo go? Any improvements? Was it the difficulty that kept you from trying SCD longer? Just curious :)
There was a time where I had solid stools and felt good and was very excited. I eliminated all sugar at the time with the exception of some fruit. But since then it has been downhill, I have lost so much weight and have enormous diarrhea. I have had to stop being paleo for fear I will disappear. SCD was something I tried but I really need some of the foods it denies like starches and such to be able to thrive. It was too restrictive for me to continue on it.

I do believe in many principles of these diets but right now I just need to get back to a normal body and am drinking lots of organic full fat dairy and having grains to put calories and carbs back.

KWalker

Can we have pure maple syrup? I have a huge bottle of it, but from I read it's not legal. Is it only because of the sugar? because on the bottle the only ingredient listed in pure maple syrup.

Can we have pure maple syrup? I have a huge bottle of it, but from I read it's not legal. Is it only because of the sugar? because on the bottle the only ingredient listed in pure maple syrup.

For SCD it is illegal but for paleo it is not. My plan is to stick with the SCD for one to two years and hopefully gain and retain remission during that time and then move E more paleo (allowing maple syrup, potatoes, etc).

So I made a pizza dough with a recipe very similar to KWalker's cheesy breadstick recipe that uses cauliflower and it was sooooo good. E loved it. We tried goat's cheese and it seems to be ok so far :thumright: I might try aged cheeses but not quite yet.

Awesome! It's not too bad when its hidden by everything else hey? lol
My whole family liked it. I am sure your recipe was better since it included cheese in the crust. I didn't include cheese because goat cheese is almost $15 a pound :frown: So, I only sprinkled it on top to save cost. My three year old loved it too though.

KWalker

Wow that's really expensive! I've never tried goat cheese so I guess I've never even needed to look at the price of it lol.

How did you guys find it stuck together? I don't know if we made our cauliflower too small, but we ended up eating it with a fork because it broke apart too easily.

Wow that's really expensive! I've never tried goat cheese so I guess I've never even needed to look at the price of it lol.

How did you guys find it stuck together? I don't know if we made our cauliflower too small, but we ended up eating it with a fork because it broke apart too easily.
Oh no, it was great. We could pick it up like a piece of pizza. My cauliflower was pretty small too. Maybe I should link you to my recipe and how I altered it.
If I can remember where I got it. It made good leftovers too.

I ordered an SCD compliant Acidophilus since we can't use the yogurt. I am anxious to see if E can handle these. We tried a different brand with several strains and they made E so sick. Elaine only suggests acidophilus so we'll see :)

KWalker

What's that? I've never heard of that.

And for the cauliflower, we used the magic bullet to break it up so it might have made it really moist as well, or maybe we just didn't cook it for long enough. Regardless I would still eat it the way it is, you just need a fork or two hands lol

acidophilus is just a strain of probiotic. It is the only one recommended for SCD.

I have attached the recipe I used. I altered it by not adding the cheese and by increasing the almond flour and adding melted coconut oil.

My best guess is that I added an extra 1/4 cup almond flour and about 1/4 cup oil melted.

Attachments

So we ventured about an hour away yesterday to shop at Trader Joe's and an organic grocery called Earth Fare. E was excited to find some new foods. They had a mild chicken sausage, bologna, dried bananas, and lots of goat's cheeses. We have decided to try goat's cheese for a while and wait about 6 months to try cow's milk cheeses. So far he is doing good :)