• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Antibiotics and Hydroxychloroquine in Crohn's

A Pilot Randomised Study to Compare Combination Antibiotic Therapy (Ciprofloxacin, Doxycycline and Hydroxychloroquine) With Standard Therapy (Budesonide) in the Treatment of Active Crohn's Disease

there is growing evidence that Crohn's disease may be caused by replication of bacteria, perhaps particularly E. coli, within macrophages (a specialized sort of white blood cell). Laboratory studies show that a combination of antibiotics that can penetrate macrophages (such as ciprofloxacin and doxycycline) together with the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine (which makes the contents of macrophage vesicles more alkaline and helps them to kill intracellular bacteria) is particularly effective at killing the E. coli within macrophages.

Jonathan Michael Rhodes, Royal Liverpool University Hospital
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/record/NCT01783106?show_desc=Y

Thanks for that, Igor. I'm one of those Crohnies that responds *very* well to Cipro/Flagyl, and any other attempts at keeping bacteria levels low (S. Boulardii yeast).

Glad to see more research in this area.

kiny

I responded extremely well to cipro, but you can't keep taking it because of central nervous system and tendon risks. The risks of cipro are pretty high if you go over 1 month use and you will eventually run into resistance too.

I see they're stopping with cipro after 4 weeks, my guess is to minimise side effects and study drop-out.

We really really really need antibiotics that specifically target AIEC.

I responded extremely well to cipro, but you can't keep taking it because of central nervous system and tendon risks. The risks of cipro are pretty high if you go over 1 month use and you will eventually run into resistance too.

I see they're stopping with cipro after 4 weeks, my guess is to minimise side effects and study drop-out.

We really really really need antibiotics that specifically target AIEC.
Yeah, same with Flagyl (especially the central nervous system). Hence my passion about finding alternatives to their use (i.e. S Boulardii) in order to keep bacteria levels in check.

In the last three years, I've only taken two 10 day courses of Cipro/Flagyl, and one ten day course of Clindamycin/Flagyl.

It's a flare "last resort" for me.. taking a course of antibiotics to get it under control. Well, almost last resort. I'll take a course of antibiotics over a short course of prednisone any day.