• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

OTC Immunomodulators

Has anyone tried any OTC Immunomodulators? If so, what was your experience?

I've been reading about beta glucans, licorice root, tinospora cordifolia and others that can supposedly modulate or suppress immune response. I was thinking about trying one of them to see if it works before I seek prescription medication.

take drugs and modify your diet to avoid things that may irritate disease, that's the best thing you can do.

My advice is learn about SCD diet and read breaking the vicious cycle.

take vit d supps, nicotinic acid(b3), b multivitamin, melatonin, vitamin e tocopherol(lowers inflammation), vitamin e tocotrienol.

high fiber oats, beans, wheat, veggies,nuts(walnuts pistachios), no corn oil, eat canola oil for omega 3. no milk eat cheese for calcium. fruit extract supplements for anti-inflammatory polyphenols. lycopene supplement as it reduces inflammation. Montmorency cherrie juice, whole cranberries, grapefruit, lemons, apples with red skin for anthocyanins, blue corn for anthocyanins which lower inflammation.

I'd be careful with the vitamin E, make sure it's the mix WildBill recommends and not just dl-alpha tocopherol. A study showed an increase in prostate cancer. Buy the best supplements you can afford, make sure that they are in a bioavailable form and don't contain other "fillers" that could affect you. Also, I'd recommend probiotics(make sure they are active and diverse) along with plain whole milk yogurt from grass fed cows
http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cance...ments-might-double-chances-of-prostate-cancer

I'd be careful with the vitamin E, make sure it's the mix WildBill recommends and not just dl-alpha tocopherol. A study showed an increase in prostate cancer. Buy the best supplements you can afford, make sure that they are in a bioavailable form and don't contain other "fillers" that could affect you. Also, I'd recommend probiotics(make sure they are active and diverse) along with plain whole milk yogurt from grass fed cows
http://www.webmd.com/prostate-cance...ments-might-double-chances-of-prostate-cancer
My advice is general excluding many other details, i only take 400iu of tocopherol a week, and one tocotrienol pill per week, taking way more then the rda is insane and very unnatural, i take slightly above the rda and that's about it. ITs way too easy to take toxic levels of vitamins because they put so much in one pill, but i do believe in taking a little extra, ibd patients typically are lower in these vitamins and benefit from taking a little extra, healthy people may not benefit though. Vit E tocopherol has been shown to lower CRP, but some studies with really high amounts like 1400iu per day!! have shown some negative health effects, I would never take that much. vit e tocotrienols have more anticancer properties then tocopherol.

My advice is general excluding many other details, i only take 400iu of tocopherol a week, and one tocotrienol pill per week, taking way more then the rda is insane and very unnatural, i take slightly above the rda and that's about it. ITs way too easy to take toxic levels of vitamins because they put so much in one pill, but i do believe in taking a little extra, ibd patients typically are lower in these vitamins and benefit from taking a little extra, healthy people may not benefit though. Vit E tocopherol has been shown to lower CRP, but some studies with really high amounts like 1400iu per day!! have shown some negative health effects, I would never take that much. vit e tocotrienols have more anticancer properties then tocopherol.
I completely agree. I know people who take megadoses since they have the mentality of a little is good then a lot is better. Plus some of these vitamins are in forms that are synthetic and not as bioavailable. Would be nice to be able to get all our nutrients from food since the compounds/minerals/vitamins act synergistically. But us Cronnies just can't absorb or even eat the right foods. I'm looking forward to the day I can eat broccoli or beans again. :)

I completely agree. I know people who take megadoses since they have the mentality of a little is good then a lot is better. Plus some of these vitamins are in forms that are synthetic and not as bioavailable. Would be nice to be able to get all our nutrients from food since the compounds/minerals/vitamins act synergistically. But us Cronnies just can't absorb or even eat the right foods. I'm looking forward to the day I can eat broccoli or beans again. :)

True, getting them all from food is first priority. Polyphenols are probably just as important as vitamins, as cancer cells actually need vitamins to grow, where most polyphenols can kill or slow down cancer cells and change their dna expression turn them back into normal cells, so megadosing some vitamins can potentially make cancer grow faster. I recall a naturopath my mother knew who got cancer at a young age and quickly died from it, she frequently advocated high dose vitamin therapy to my mom, i had to intervene and convince my mom that megadosing vitamins is not a good idea.

Just trying to help here but broccoli and beans help me greatly!!! I'm not sure how you came to the conclusions they were bad. raw or undercooked broccoli is definitely bad, undercooked beans are also very bad, but when well cooked, these foods are great from IBD.

I love broccoli and beans, and they are so healthy-but for me they cause pain. I'm hoping that now I had the stricture removed that I'll be able to eat them again. Beans caused a partial obstruction last time I ate them(well cooked in a soup). I plan on gradually trying well cooked fiber rich foods I have had problems with previously. I need to shift my microbiome to more bacteroidetes that digest fiber vs. the bacteria that digest starch/fat that are currently residing in my gut. I also wonder how my colon microbiome has changed/died off since I have the temporary ileostomy diverting their food source?