• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Feeling Spaced Out on Aza?

Hello!

I've only just started taking Azathioprine (on my 2nd day of 100mg) - feeling ok so far except from starting to feel mega spaced out! Last night around 9pm (been taking my pills first thing with breakfast), I started so fatigued - like physically done in as if I'd just ran a marathon - today I feel slightly less tired but feel.....strange....almost like I'm kind of floating around - not quite tired but not fully awake either. Anyone know what Im talking about?

Absolutely, I got more and more spaced out and felt drugged and out it. I started on 50mg though, after 2 weeks they increased it to 75mg and I just felt awful, exhausted, headaches and completely out of it. I didn't feel safe driving a car so I stopped the tablets.

Absolutely, I got more and more spaced out and felt drugged and out it. I started on 50mg though, after 2 weeks they increased it to 75mg and I just felt awful, exhausted, headaches and completely out of it. I didn't feel safe driving a car so I stopped the tablets.
I dont feel awful as such (well not yet) but definitely out of it and well....just not quite myself. I don't drive so I guess that's a plus. I'm supposed to be on 100mg for 3 months then up to 150mg. How long were you on them til you decided to stop taking them?

Thanks!

Im hoping its just my immune system trying to adjust to the meds & eventually it'll stop - anyone else had any experience with this?

I felt pretty weak and dizzy when I started AZA. It felt like my legs were wobbly and the floor was sort of moving even though it wasn't. I also felt really tired and threw up a bunch of times. This improved with time (I've been on it for 8 months) but I still sometimes feel weak. However, it turned out that I am not metabolizing it properly, which may be partly responsible for the side effects. I will be changing to a combination of AZA and allopurinol in a week or so.

How are you doing now? Did you decide to continue with the AZA?

Hi, You are not alone with this side effects. Most days are ok. But occationally I get really weird, sometimes dizzy. Some days I am very weak. I take 150-200mg. And yes I do stop my medication for a day or two when I really get bad. But for the most, it is even. I had real bad effects when I first started, then had to be bumped up to 150mg. It took me about 6 months before they subsided. Keep you dr informed of all the side effects. Good luck and I hope you feel better.