• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed

I had my colonoscopy and upper endoscopy today. No inflammation per dr. Does that mean I could fully rule out both Crohn's and colitis?
If yes, what's my next step towards a diagnosis?
Thx!

Can you shed light on what is your issues and why you took a scope?

Also,

a GI is more qualified to perform and read your results to determine wether or not any issue is present.

I tested because I've been dx with severe IBS and sibo. Been on the specific carbohydrate diet and although I'm feeling slightly better after my antibiotic round, I'm so limited with the foods that are ok for me. Dr wanted to test to make sure nothing else is going on...

Those tests should rule out Crohn's. Were biopsies taken? Was there any particular reason you or your doctor suspected Crohn's?

Capsule endoscopy would be next to investigate the entire small bowel, but only if your GI think that is necessary. Many insurance companies don't want to pay for those.

Biopsies were taken. What will that indicate?
Since no inflammation was visible during your scope, the main thing is that the biopsies may reveal inflammation that wasn't visible. If there was inflammation they would usually allow the doctor to distinguish what kind of inflammation and probable cause.

Since no inflammation was visible during your scope, the main thing is that the biopsies may reveal inflammation that wasn't visible. If there was inflammation they would usually allow the doctor to distinguish what kind of inflammation and probable cause.
I'm still confused. What kind of inflammation could show in the biopsy that didn't show in the scope?

When I had my diagnostic scope, I also had no inflammation - I had been on Prednisone for 6 weeks. But there were ulcers, which were biopsied, and they showed I do have Crohn's. Also, Crohn's is not always active, which is one reason it takes so long to diagnose sometimes! Took 8 years for them to diagnose me!