• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

I Need Guidence for SCD

I would like to know anybody follows the SCD diet ? If so, what do you eat at the time of diearia? Any suggestion? I would like to give my daughter SCD diet for CD. Thanks in advance.

Good luck on the diet. I hope it works for you. Some people have great success with it. But always remember, each individual is different and what works for one may not for the other. I have followed many different diets and a lot of times it is hit or miss. I mean for me, I was ok with some of the things on the SCD diet but a lot of the things I was not Ok with. Like Nuts of any kind really bother me, even the flours and butters if I eat then everyday. Some of the vegis on that diet also bothered me as well as some meats. Now I just play with my diet. I will try things is small portions and see how it goes. Also one thing I have learned is to try NOT to eat the same exact thing everyday. I notice when I do this I have issues with that particular food eventually. One thing you may also want to look into is a Gluten free diet. I will say out of all the diets I have done, this one was the most beneficial. I have been Gluten Free for over 6 years now. Good luck and hope you find a happy medium.

Hugh has already pointed you to the pecanbread website (a great resource). Have you read the book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle? I highly suggest that you read it. It is a very good book and an easy read. The only thing I would suggest is a slow introduction (as described on pecan bread) and maybe holding off on the dairy (cheese, yogurt) and beef at first. This is just from our personal experience. E does not tolerate dairy in any form (even if it is lactose free) and with all of his healing (he can eat raw strawberries, etc) he still doesn't seem to digest beef. Maybe eventually?

Hugh has already pointed you to the pecanbread website (a great resource). Have you read the book, Breaking the Vicious Cycle? I highly suggest that you read it. It is a very good book and an easy read. The only thing I would suggest is a slow introduction (as described on pecan bread) and maybe holding off on the dairy (cheese, yogurt) and beef at first. This is just from our personal experience. E does not tolerate dairy in any form (even if it is lactose free) and with all of his healing (he can eat raw strawberries, etc) he still doesn't seem to digest beef. Maybe eventually?
I'd like to second Charleigh's recommendation to read the book.

Thanks Charleigh and CrohniePilot. I took little time to reply the thread . Because I wanted to bought/read the book (I bought Breaking the vicious cycle, yougurt maker), and read the Few SCD websites including Pecanbread (Thanks Hugh). My daughter is not convinced yet. She is in denial mode. She does not think she is sick. I cleaned the house from all illegal food(scd). I start cooking legal food (scd), she denies the intro diet, and goes out to eat chocolate !

However, it seems she is improving slowly. She is also taking "Pentasa" with homeopathy "Johneinum", plus probiotic Bio-Gaia. I don't know which one is working SCD or Pentasa or Johneinum or probiotic. Personally I think Diarrhea slow down after taking Probiotic. Since she is eating susi (not home), she is not following Full SCD. However, I am just trying my best to give her food from SCD. If she eats outside something, she is letting me know. Surprisingly, chocolate and susi is not bad for her.

She is eating healthy but she is not following any specific diet. I wish she would take here Crohn seriously.

Thanks all :)

I am giving my daughter probiotic bio-Gaia. Her Pediatrician gave it to her. After taking one in the morning and one after school, she feels well . No D today. I will continue giving her probiotic one in the morning and one in the evening for a week . Next Friday I will post her condition.

I had CD for 15 years before i was ready to give SCD the chance it needed. In a way it worked out ok, because the suffering i have endured keeps me motivated to stay on the SCD.

So, if she isn't ready now, maybe she will be later. Its never too late!

I just started my son on SCD diet after being diagnosed w crohns. If you call Digestive Wellness they give phone consultations on what you should do at various stages of the disease based on your symptoms, etc. It costs $325 for the hour consultation and continues for 3 months of guidance. I was told to give my son the cashew cake, chicken knaidlach w/o the onion, lots of water, chicken soup, butternut squash, applesauce, cooked pears, etc.

hi CrohnsM and Tamanna - as parents we are probably all on the same SCD boat...my daughter is on SCD as well - and no doubt that the kid understanding / maturity and motivation is a key for this (and other) diets. we are dealing with drastic change in lifestyle - impacting the individual and the family.
Similar to what many others are pointing out the 1st 1-2 weeks are probably the most difficult - till slowly we all start to adapt to the changes. Afterwards, with the results and simply getting used to the new routine - the approach changes as well.
Would suggest to read GAPS diet book and follow their web sites. Its in my view an upgrade of SCD - with longer and more difficult introduction diet (that makes the introduction of food slower) but also adds supplements and adjustments to SCD diet. There are also many nutritionist that provide consultancy and support with this diet.
Im planning to open a thread for teenagers on SCD - so stay tuned. Would be good to push the kids to share / support each other.
Good luck!

hi CrohnsM and Tamanna - as parents we are probably all on the same SCD boat...my daughter is on SCD as well - and no doubt that the kid understanding / maturity and motivation is a key for this (and other) diets. we are dealing with drastic change in lifestyle - impacting the individual and the family.
Similar to what many others are pointing out the 1st 1-2 weeks are probably the most difficult - till slowly we all start to adapt to the changes. Afterwards, with the results and simply getting used to the new routine - the approach changes as well.
Would suggest to read GAPS diet book and follow their web sites. Its in my view an upgrade of SCD - with longer and more difficult introduction diet (that makes the introduction of food slower) but also adds supplements and adjustments to SCD diet. There are also many nutritionist that provide consultancy and support with this diet.
Im planning to open a thread for teenagers on SCD - so stay tuned. Would be good to push the kids to share / support each other.
Good luck!

I totally agree with this. I asked my son to give it 30-60 days and after that he would need to decide whether to continue or choose medication. I think the idea of it being short term was very helpful for him. When it was hard I would say, "it is just a test, humor me". Of course, I was also very clear on the medication risk, printing off all 4 pages of side effects for him to read. By the time we reached the 30 day mark, he knew it wasn't short term. He felt so much better and was regaining strength and energy. By 60 days, it was an easy decision for him. He can't grow up and succeed on his mom's diet...it has to be "his diet" and it is now his diet. While he is hopeful of being able to introduce a few more things (like white rice) in the future, he truly sees this diet as a long-term lifestyle.

Also, I have never read the GAPS book but what we follow is closer to GAPS than SCD. Since we do not use any dairy but we do use cocoa, it is very similar to GAPS.

Scooby100, Thanks for the suggestion on GAPS, I havent learned about it, but will do so. I've been busy all week trying to make things with the few items he can eat that will my son will like. So far, we have been successful with veal burgers (with a little honey snuck in) and butternut squash and acorn squash cubes roasted with cinnamon and honey. My son says it tastes good, like a churro stick he loves so much. I tried making a farmer cheese omelet/blintz, but he didn't like it. I'm trying to find ways to give him the farmer cheese. Also, debating on the homemade yogurt. I found a lactose free yogurt at Fairway I may try as a shortcut. I have to go back and read the ingredients, but I think it might be ok, if it has no lactose, Isn't that the point of the homemade yogurt? I'm trying merringe cookies today, hope he'll like it. Its been 2 weeks, and he's been great, so far, excpet in public, or when he sees other people eating his old favorite foods. Hoping he'll accept his new way of eating and develop more self control. If anyone has any good ideas on how to achieve this with a 12 year old, would love to hear.

Well done and good start! As many mentioned before yogurt might be a tricky introduction to the diet - but worth checking it. Even If he doesn’t tolerate it now - he might later on. Following GAPs the main item during 1st few weeks is to be broth. I know...not easy to convince a kid to rely on it and eat it again and again - but its a key ingredient. We tried to postponed the introduction of sugars as much as possible, and keep its quantities low. Even though honey, for example, is legal - there seems to contradictory opinions about it. In any case - would assume that fruits / honey and other "sweets" are not to be more than 15% of the diet. Most of GAPs diet relies on meat, eggs, veggies and broth. We added as well gee - mainly as a step towards yogurth introduction and a good resource of calories. U can try to add slowly nut flours. Would suggest walnut, since seems to be the healthiest one. Almond flour is legal, but is to be consumed in limited quantities. U can make pretty nice muffins / bases / ‘breads’ with these flours, or combining them with coconut flour.

I am not sure if the lactose-free yoghurt is the same as the 24 hours fermented yoghurt. I seem to remember the book saying pretty clearly that lactose-free milk is NOT ok. I suspect the lactose-free yoghurt is just regular yoghurt made with lactose-free milk. The point of fermenting it 24 hours is that all the sugars are fermented (lactose free milk I think has other sugars and therefore still isn't SCD safe)...
I think making kefir is a simpler process than yoghurt, and very rich in probiotics, maybe you could try that instead, as it doesn't need any special equipment...