• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Medecines that you can no longer take after colon removed

I thought I had read a post about having your colon removed and not being able to absorb certain medecines. Does anyone know what they are? I was thinking about taking advil instead of pain pills they last about 8 hours and don't have to worry about getting addicted. I'm still having some occasional lower back pain post surgery

DJW

Forum Monitor
I'd suggest staying away from Advil and all other NSAIDs (nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs). The can cause problems in IBD sufferers.

I stick to tylonal...even though I prefer Advil.

Thanks for your response. I do take tylanol but as u probably know they aren't that great for lasting long. What about other meds are there any that are absorbed in the colon therefore I would no longer be able to take my physical suggested oxycotin since they are time released. I don't really care for them and Honostly they don't really do much for me.

DJW

Forum Monitor
I'm not sure of specific meds. I know meds that are ment to last 12 hours or are specifically sold as time released do me no good. They pass right through me. (I don't have much intestine left). Oxy is fine for me.

As far as I know, it's not the missing colon that's the problem - it's because when you have all that removed and an ileostomy created, a bit of the small bowel is either removed or can no longer absorb things... sorry that's hopeless of me trying to remember! Hopefully someone else will come along and correct me. But I do know the colon itself doesn't absorb much other than water and salt, and any problems you do have with absorption may vary from others with ileostomies depending on the specific details of your surgery (how much small bowel removed, type of stoma, which part of small bowel used to make the stoma, etc.)

I was worried my meds wouldn't work when I got an ileostomy, but it doesn't seem to have had any effects, and I do take a lot of different meds.

Advil (Ibuprofen here), as mentioned, isn't good for your stomach, and I've found it useless as a painkiller - I'm not sure if you'll have problems absorbing it now. Tylenol (paracetamol) I've also found to be no help at all with pain - it just makes me feel a bit sick. But I've been prescribed it when in hospital many times since having an ileostomy, and I wish I could say that they wouldn't have prescribed it for me if it isn't supposed to work on people with ileostomies, but they have prescribed me all sorts of useless/dangerous things - doctors tend to know less than us a lot of the time - so the fact I was prescribed it might not mean anything. :p

You may just have to work out what still works for you by trial and error.

Well its my understanding that they didn't remove any of my small bowel at all I'm guessing they went to the very end could even be a bit of large bowel for all I know. I see her tomorrow I'm going to ask. I did take an oxycotin time released yesterday did absolutely nothing for me so i won't bother with those anymore. I get better relief from a tramadol chased by tylanol. I was browsing on another forum someone had posted a list of meds that is useless for someone having the bowels removed but I can't remember where it was. If I find it I'll post it.
Cindy

With an ileostomy, some people need to change the form that the medication is in because the pills pass out of their system too quickly to take effect For example, time release capsules will often pass on through without being absorbed. The oxytocin you took may not have had enough time to breakdown before it went to your bag. You may need to break the pill up before taking it. I take calcium gelcaps to ensure they are broken down since they are such large pills.

Well its my understanding that they didn't remove any of my small bowel at all I'm guessing they went to the very end could even be a bit of large bowel for all I know. I see her tomorrow I'm going to ask. I did take an oxycotin time released yesterday did absolutely nothing for me so i won't bother with those anymore. I get better relief from a tramadol chased by tylanol. I was browsing on another forum someone had posted a list of meds that is useless for someone having the bowels removed but I can't remember where it was. If I find it I'll post it.
Cindy
I was told none of my small intestine had been removed too, but when I asked again later, it turns out that although none was removed, some of it was used to make the stoma (or something? I'm really sorry I can't remember the details!), and this can mean some changes in absorption. For the same reason some people with ileostomies become deficient in B12 over time.

Ok - please ignore my earlier post where I said the colon doesn't absorb much - apparently it can affect medication absorption, according to this site (which seems reliable?):

http://www.o-wm.com/content/the-issue-oral-medications-and-a-fecal-ostomy

Generally, people with descending or sigmoid colostomies absorb medications as well as people who do not have an ostomy. However, some medications (eg, enteric-coated tablets, time-release products, or large tablets) are designed for gradual absorption along the full length of the intestine (the ileum and the colon). If transit time is reduced/increased and/or portions of the bowel have been removed, these medications can be incompletely and erratically absorbed, especially in persons with an ileostomy. Erwin-Toth and Doughty1 recommend teaching patients to evaluate tablets at home by placing the tablet in a glass of water and recording the amount of time it takes for the tablet to begin to dissolve. If the tablet begins to dissolve in 30 minutes, most likely it can be adequately absorbed in the body. Patients should be instructed not to crush tablets without first checking with the pharmacist because the practice may expose the medication to gastric fluids, which could cause gastric upset or inactivate the drug.1 Medication forms more suitable to people with an ileostomy include prompt-acting formulations such as solutions, suspensions, gelatin capsules, and uncoated tablets.2 Patients should be taught to look for remnants of unabsorbed medications when they empty their pouch and report what they observe to their physician who, if necessary, can prescribe the drug in an alternate, more suitable form. Most antidiarrheal and antibiotic medications are available as liquids and may be recommended initially to ensure the full intended effect of the drug2 rather than waiting to discover the tablet form is not being absorbed.
It seems to depend on the individual to some extent, so probably you'll still need to just test things out, but 2thFairy is right - avoid time-release ones and try to get them in the forms easiest to absorb.

I was so sure the colon doesn't play a role in medication absorption. :confused2: Wonder where I got that from. I remember asking about it before my ileostomy, but asking only about the specific medications I was taking, and was told the ones I'm on are all ok (which has since been proved to be the case, since they're all still working).

I've been wondering far more about my ability to absorb calories since having an ileostomy - I'm going to start a thread on that, actually, so maybe some people will post there about absorption too.

Ive had my ileostomy for 16yrs, & I find any slow release tablet comes out b4 being obsorbed. . Endone always worked best for me when it came to pain, but in between I was told to take paracetamol & the 2 together keep ur pain to a minimum. .
If anything can be replaced by a liquid form I find best for me as it is released straight into the body without waiting to dissolve. .. vitamin tablets, cold & flu type meds are avaliable in liquid.. my day tends to start with a Berrocca!
One hot tip for the ladies - the contraceptive pill doesnt work if u have an Ileostomy. ..
I know first hand cause I fell pregnant within 18mths of having my bag.. just putting it out there..
I guess the hardest thing is finding what works for u...
All the best to ya!!

One hot tip for the ladies - the contraceptive pill doesnt work if u have an Ileostomy. ..
I know first hand cause I fell pregnant within 18mths of having my bag.. just putting it out there..
I'd heard this too, but I take a particular version of the pill, not as a contraceptive but for hormone problems, and it works just as well now as it did before I had an ileostomy.

I thought I had read a post about having your colon removed and not being able to absorb certain medecines. Does anyone know what they are? I was thinking about taking advil instead of pain pills they last about 8 hours and don't have to worry about getting addicted. I'm still having some occasional lower back pain post surgery
My son had his entire large intestine removed in June. We were told that he could Motrin. He is suffering from a lot of pain and percent is not an option any more. So rather than narcotics, he has been taking tramadol, Tylenol and Motrin, all,at once! I'm worried about his liver!

nogutsnoglory

With an ostomy you won't absorb certain delayed release or special coated pills. It's best to get things in liquid or immediate release tablet. Best thing is to discuss this with the dr or pharmacist so they can help you pick the best options.