• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My journey with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet.

I would guess the big weight loss came from avoiding grains, wheat in particular. As a weight loss diet, I've been reading of lots of people lately simply avoiding wheat and loosing a great deal of weight. I don't believe it is completely known why the big weight loss is happening when avoiding grains but a few ideas are being thrown around.

One of the latest article I read on this from yesterday.

"Judge Andrew Napolitano Loses 60 Pounds Just By Dropping Wheat (Just Like Dr. William Davis Said)"

http://freetheanimal.com/2013/02/na...ampaign=Feed:+freetheanimal+(Free+the+Animal)

You could probably lose a lot of weight just by not eating bread. It's scary how quick calories can add up with bread, and I think over there in America you guys have bagels which are like 4/5 slices in one bagel.

My other thought about why you're losing so much weight cutting grains/being on SCD is you may be in ketosis, so the fat's being used for energy instead of carb. That said I don't really know how many carbs you eat a day, but people I know who've lost weight using keto have generally limited themselves to about 40g or less a day.

What are your macros like in general? Like how much protein and stuff are you getting on an average day?

KWalker

Losing weight was my biggest fear when I started the diet but luckily I'm only down 2lbs and I believe it's from when I got the flu and stopped eating for a few days that I lost weight and now just gaining it back. I could definitely see losing weight after cutting out grains because it's just empty calories. Is there even nutritional value in pasta?

Thanks Ya noy- I did know that aspartame was allowed once a week but I thought saccharin was similar to stevia. It's too bad there are no carbonated diet sodas that don't include aspartame. I have significantly increased my water intake now though. I have a 320z water bottle I fill up about 5 times throughout the day

Actually I've tried paleo, bread-free, gluten-free, wheat-free and didn't lose weight like I did on SCD. In fact, I'm one of those people who lose nothing in ketosis. I'm pretty certain I wasn't in ketosis on SCD since I probably ate far too many carbs in the form of starchy veggies, honey and fruit. I never tested though.

That's how I came to be suspicious fat is my body's reaction to malabsorption and/or inflammation. IBD people who need to gain tend to gain on SCD. Those of us who need to lose tend to lose. In general, of course. There are always exceptions.

I'm going back on SCD as of Monday so hopefully I'll lose this weight again no matter what the reason. :D

Losing weight was my biggest fear when I started the diet but luckily I'm only down 2lbs and I believe it's from when I got the flu and stopped eating for a few days that I lost weight and now just gaining it back. I could definitely see losing weight after cutting out grains because it's just empty calories. Is there even nutritional value in pasta?

Thanks Ya noy- I did know that aspartame was allowed once a week but I thought saccharin was similar to stevia. It's too bad there are no carbonated diet sodas that don't include aspartame. I have significantly increased my water intake now though. I have a 320z water bottle I fill up about 5 times throughout the day
I don't drink diet sodas with aspartame, but rather, RC, which contains Splenda instead. However, while it's not addressed specifically, I don't think Splenda would be legal on the .scd diet, because it's not a single molecule sweetener, while saccharin is--which is why it is "legal" on the SCD diet.

It's the molecular structure of the carbohydrate in question that makes the determination.

KWalker

partlycloudy I'm so excited for you!

I'm going to post some pictures sometime tomorrow I promise. Of course I'm catching a cold again but thankfully it's not as bad as the flu I had so it hasn't stopped me from eating.

Actually I've tried paleo, bread-free, gluten-free, wheat-free and didn't lose weight like I did on SCD. In fact, I'm one of those people who lose nothing in ketosis. I'm pretty certain I wasn't in ketosis on SCD since I probably ate far too many carbs in the form of starchy veggies, honey and fruit. I never tested though.

That's how I came to be suspicious fat is my body's reaction to malabsorption and/or inflammation. IBD people who need to gain tend to gain on SCD. Those of us who need to lose tend to lose. In general, of course. There are always exceptions.

I'm going back on SCD as of Monday so hopefully I'll lose this weight again no matter what the reason. :D
Interesting that the SCD would make a much bigger weight loss difference over the other similar diet ideas, such as paleo or gluten free. Maybe it is the homemade probiotic yogurt eaten early for the SCD that helped so well.

Not to post to many articles on the sight today, but recall seeing a small study earlier in the week. It was on how probiotics potentially could reverse diabetes and bring about big weight loss.

This is from Robb Wolf's sight:

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=51021876189adc8125a6a9578&id=5606bf8304&e=7010320a2b

snippet from his article:

...So, back to the paper: researchers noted than an obese individual had a remarkably high concentration of this pathogenic Enterobacter bacteria. Enterobacter is nasty in that it produces prodigious amounts of LPS. This abundance of LPS makes it’s way through the gut and appears to initiate a cascade of signaling which leads ultimately to a state of insulin resistant diabetes. The researchers placed this individual on a diet of whole grains, prebiotics (to encourage healthy gut flora growth) and a mix of traditional Chinese herbs which have historically been used to treat GI infections. The results were pretty remarkable: the patient lost 51 kg in 23 weeks and at the end of the process was essentially free of the Enterobacter bacteria. As you might expect, blood glucose, blood pressure and markers of systemic inflammation were all dramatically improved at the end of the protocol....

I've seen it noted that grains can negatively effect gut flora. Possibly some are experiencing big weight loss when avoiding grains in part due to improving intestinal flora. For others, such as us with IBD, outside help as in probiotic rich yogurt, is needed to help.

Anyway, interesting speculation.

One write up about how individuals eating wheat free having different gut floras verses those that eat wheat.

"You are BETTER than your bowel flora"

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/09/you-are-better-than-your-bowel-flora/

That's really interesting about the probiotics. I wonder if it's due to their improving gut function even in those who aren't dx'd with anything.

Kwalker, thanks. I'm excited about losing weight and feeling better, but unlike my first time, I know just how much work I'm in for and am not looking forward to that. :D I hope you feel better soon. I went through a phase on SCD where I got sick a lot and even developed a weird allergy for awhile. At the time I thought it was my body's way of going through another gut adjustment.

KWalker

Well here's a few pictures like I promised. I believe today is day 40 on the diet. Like I mentioned above, I decided to experiment and add potatoes to the diet to see how I react to them. So far I haven't had any side effects or diarrhea so I'm hoping that it remains the same.

This doesn't look that good, but it really is. It's kind of like my go to food when I need something relatively quickly. It's just squash, carrots and chicken (sometimes mushrooms) all mixed together and the flavors really compliment eachother
[/IMG]

This is the first meal I added potatoes too. It's roasted potatoes and carrots, and then the chicken is a mix of seasonings and lemon.
[/IMG]

This was my meal tonight. We found a ham that doesn't have any additives during the smoking process so it's legal on the SCD diet. For the mashed potatoes we also substituted milk for just more butter and they taste delicious! I absolutely love ham and we cooked it with like an orange zest/juice on top.
[/IMG]

I'm so happy I started this diet. There are a lot of skeptics out there and to be honest I was one of them but this diet really opened my eyes as to what food changes can really do to your body.

The potatoes are looking great :)

I have had kids with the flu, so I had to check out for a while.

Alot has gone on while I was away!

Partlycloudy, very interesting about the weightloss. I do wonder what makes the difference. I have been paleo for quite some time with practically no weightloss. I would love to drop a few pounds. I wonder if I should try strict SCD like E? Hmmm.....you have me thinking.

Kwalker, when I went off SCD (after 10 months on) it took about 2 weeks for symptoms to come back, although I did go off whole hog and ate everything illegal in sight. Good luck with those yummy amazing incredible luscious looking taters! ;D Your "messy" meal looks good too. I eat a lot of those types.

Charleigh, I've tried strict paleo, atkins, and southbeach a couple of times each and lost a couple of lbs during the first week or so then it all stalled. The reason I'm suspicious about the link in some between weight loss and inflammation or gut malfunction is due to my experience on SCD. I dropped weight like crazy on it whereas, like your son, people who need to gain tend to gain. I ate like a pig too. Lots of honey and carbs in the form of starchy veggies daily. BUT when I added in nut flour at around the 6th month mark my weight loss stopped dead and I never lost another pound. My long winded point is I think my gut wasn't ready for nut flour despite having no symptoms and that's what stopped the weight loss. I honestly don't think it was the calories based on my previous caloric intake and the weight that continued to drop off so quickly up until the nut flour addition. I wasn't walking some mysterious line in the calorie department between weight loss or not (that make sense?).

Anyway, it's worth a try. You're cooking SCD anyway and we all know that's the hardest part, lol.

Kwalker, I agree with partlycloudy your "messy" meal looks delish! I think I'll be trying that one out! Glad things are going well with SCD.

KWalker

Lol thanks guys. Its actually hard to take a picture of that meal because of the orange glare that just radiates off the plate haha. I was also looking through my pictures and noticed almost all of them have a chip in the plate so I thought how weird it was that I seem to use the same plate every single night....and then I realize we have now have 3 plates with a chip in them. We just got those damn plates! Lol.

I also noticed that ham looks severely uncooked because of the flash lol. I promise it is fully cooked. That "messy" meal is super delicious and I've really grown to like butternut squash. We used to do that meal with potatoes instead and there's quite a difference in taste between the two but I really like the squash.

I noticed too that I don't feel full/hate myself after meals now like I did before. A wise man (not really) once said "I don't stop eating when I'm full, I stop eating when I hate myself". That used to be me lol

I noticed that not-too-full feeling when I was on it too. In fact, that's one of the symptoms that came back right away, that too-full-after-only-a-little-food feeling. Ugh.

I thought the ham looked delish but then I'm a nut for ham. Where did you get your's? I bought a legal one offline but it was kind of dry and quite salty (should have soaked it first). I can't remember where I got it though.

KWalker

We just bought it at the grocery store. I'll try and remember the "brand" but it advertised as all natural with no additives or preservatives. I guess it still could have been illegal if there were any hidden ingredients during the process but there are a lot of foods that could have hidden ingredients and we would never know. I think it was so juicy because was cooked it for like 2 hours and kept soaking it in orange juice. If you place the ham in a pan with liquid it tends to stay jucier too.

Ham is probably my favorite meat. I love chicken too but there's just something about ham where if I get the chance, I'll eat it.

KWalker

Lol thanks. It only happened a few days ago so it's still new. Now you guys can personally let me know if anybody hijacks your thread and I can take care of it lol

KWalker

Alright, so another small update. After reading a few different articles I've decided to experiment with dark chocolate as well. The articles say anything above 70% unsweetened dark chocolate is good (the higher the better of course) and the benefits outweigh the risks. Articles also suggest the author of Breaking the Viscous Cycle's research about dark chocolate is a bit out-dated and many people use dark chocolate on the SCD without problems. I've read to still keep it in moderation, but for 3 small pieces, it provides 180 calories. From what I've read I can have up to 6 pieces a day.

I bought 72% unsweetened dark chocolate today, but will keep looking for stronger chocolate because it really is healthy. The potatoes and dark chocolate were the only things I've wanted to add to modify the diet so I'm going to experiment with those and other than that I've been 100% compliant to the diet.

Alright, so another small update. After reading a few different articles I've decided to experiment with dark chocolate as well.Articles also suggest the author of Breaking the Viscous Cycle's research about dark chocolate is a bit out-dated and many people use dark chocolate on the SCD without problems. .

Hmmm, very interesting. I've often wondered about how old her research is. I'm not a chocolate person at all (unless you count Little Debbie Swiss Rolls:ack:) but it'd be nice to know it's available should I decide to try it.

KWalker

Today is 1.5 months on the diet and I feel great! I used to always get lower back pain to the point where I needed to use a heating pad and that hasn't been around for awhile now! I was catching another cold over the past week but I've been drinking orange juice like crazy and I've seen to beat it before it hit me.

And the best part? Pictures!

We had leftover ham so we made ham and potatoes and carrots. Yumm! And Susan2, we now have a HUGE ham bone for soup!

Today Mariah made chicken breasts with melted havarti cheese and mushrooms on top. We also had squash and carrots. If you can notice the pattern, we love carrots haha

Hey Mr. Walker! I am still on SCD. 2 months now. Love your pics. I find I adore butternut squash. My ab swelling is down by at least half. Joint pain is getting better but not great. What's with the potatoes? And did you say dark chocolate??? I had a ton of it and gave it all away. My family doc poo poo'd the SCD, saying it was "just a gluten free diet" and it really discouraged me. But I am going with my own "gut" haha. I'm doing the yogurt and yocheese, everything.
I have pics to show you, but don't know how. Do I have to upload them to FB or something?
Happy eating!

KWalker

Light Blb- I'm so happy to hear you're sticking to the diet! Yes, I've been experimenting with potatoes and dark chocolate over 70%. I wouldn't worry too much about what your doctor says about it. When it comes down to it, they're uneducated about diet because their job is to prescribe medicine.

I woke up this morning and had more of a loose stool. It wasn't diarrhea, but it was looser than normal, so I'm hoping that it isn't the potatoes/chocolate. I guess it could be stress because I'm doing midterms right now but I'll have to keep an eye on it. I must say though, including potatoes really opens up choices on the diet. I don't eat them every night, but they're good for when we don't feel like cutting up squash or want something different. Its about half and half right now. I don't want to eat them every night and then get sick of them as well.

How is E doing with the cocoa powder? I have 100% cocoa powder at home too and I never used it because the BTVC says we can only use cocoa butter because of the fat.

I really like that we have a group of us now doing this because I feel like we're doing it all together.

Well, yesterday was our first day to try it. There is alot of controversy for the "why" in cocoa powder. Even Elaine can't explain it. She only says that the original doctor didn't recommend it. No reason though?

I wonder if you should cut the potatoes back out and see if you get better. Then, in a month or two try again. I know it is hard because potatoes are such a cheap, easy filler but it might be best? Just a thought.

Interesting enough, Hugh found that after he healed he could handle white rice but still not potatoes. Just keep that in mind.

KWalker

Oh really? I didn't know that. It's tough because I don't eat them every day so it's hard to rule them as the cause. I think I'm going to give it a few days and see how I am. The frequency hasn't changed, it was just a little looser than it has been.

I think you are being wise and cautious. You have had a pretty fair amount of stress lately (school and family issues). It could just be that?

Something that I have had to remember...a food that causes an actual flare will not usually cause immediate digestive issues (i.e. eat strawberries and have a bout of D a certain amount of time later). A flare causing food will set your intestines up to be sensitive again without a direct effect to one meal. It might start with loose stools again which then leads to an increased frequency. Before you know it you aren't eating raw veggies without pain, etc. We often focus too much on the short run. We say, "I ate bread yesterday and I am fine today" and then we add bread back to our diet. Then, when in the middle of a full blown flare a month or two later we don't know what happened and why. It goes back to the bread. The bread began to cause inflammation and a bacterial imbalance and a month later we are just beginning to reap the consequences. Before E was diagnosed, we put him on a gluten and dairy free diet and we saw a marked improvement. In order to be scoped, the doctor wanted E to be back on a standard diet for 6-8 weeks in order to look for celiacs disease. He enjoyed his sandwiches, pizzas, etc and I thought for a while that maybe we had imagined a gluten sensitivity. It took a full 3-4 weeks before his stools started getting loose again. By 6-8 weeks his frequency increased significantly.

Elaine says to expect some bouts and you have been under quite a bit of stress so it might not be potatoes. Just know that it also might be the potatoes. Keep your eye on it! For your sake, I hope it isn't. :ybiggrin:

It can be a bit of a mind game when adding a new food(s) to the diet, as I'm finding out this week. On my diet I added a new food early in the week, pork. During this time I have not been as well as hoped. Energy levels are good, but the gut has been troubled. So it has my mind wondering if it is the pork, or possibly something else going on such as to much exercise which can can me problems, excess fiber, etc.

I'll play it safe though, take pork back out of the diet, & go back to eating the way that got me healthier. Once that happens, I'll try another new food after that. It's a slow trial and error process.

Charleigh - I totally agree with what you just said.
I am one of those people who doesn't seem to be effected by what I eat (or so I can tell), because I really believe in what you explained. When I'm in remission I can eat whatever I like and I don't notice any problems. If I flare again how do I know what caused it (if it was caused by food) because I have never tried an elimination diet. (So far I have chosen not to go down the diet route).
I get so fed up of people asking me about my diet when they hear I have crohn's. Oh this person can't eat mushrooms... Well I eat whatever I like, people are quite often shocked to hear that.
So often you see people on here saying, I ate this and then an hour later I had really bad diarrheah. It was a lot more likely something you ate yesterday!
Its the same with food poisoning, it can take anything between 2 hours and 10days for symptoms to start. That is a big window for a lot of food to have been eaten!

KWalker

I never thought food affected my crohns, and I don't know if the diet will make any changes with inflammation, but I know it helps with my diarrhea.

Not going to lie, I'm feeling really down in the dumps today about the diet and feeling sorry for myself like there's nothing "fun" I can eat. Sure I can eat the dark chocolate, but now I want to add that to stuff. I wish I could just go to the store and buy one of those Betty Crocker box cakes, load it with icing and just go to town on it.

I weighed myself after not weighing myself at all for awhile and I'm down to 150lbs. I feel like I'm so skinny that I could go outside and the wind could blow me over. I don't even like wearing t-shirts because it looks like I have twigs coming out the sleeves. I need to figure out a way to get bigger but with the limited options, I can't afford to eat meat for every meal. Before I could just go to the grocery store and buy a $5 dollar box of chicken nuggets and it would last me all week. Not anymore.

I don't regret trying the diet, it just sucks sometimes and I'm missing all that crappy food I used to eat. I was a big snacker before, and now my snacks consist of fruit. Yes it's healthier, but you can't compare an apple to a cake.

I just hope this diet works on more than just my BM's so it pays off.

Charleigh - I totally agree with what you just said.
I am one of those people who doesn't seem to be effected by what I eat (or so I can tell), because I really believe in what you explained. When I'm in remission I can eat whatever I like and I don't notice any problems. If I flare again how do I know what caused it (if it was caused by food) because I have never tried an elimination diet. (So far I have chosen not to go down the diet route).
I get so fed up of people asking me about my diet when they hear I have crohn's. Oh this person can't eat mushrooms... Well I eat whatever I like, people are quite often shocked to hear that.
So often you see people on here saying, I ate this and then an hour later I had really bad diarrheah. It was a lot more likely something you ate yesterday!
Its the same with food poisoning, it can take anything between 2 hours and 10days for symptoms to start. That is a big window for a lot of food to have been eaten!
I thought to quickly jump in! and mention, from my experience it really, really is tough to figure out trigger foods. At least that has been the case for me. Before I began following one of these diets such as the SCD, I began a food journal. For about a year I recorded nearly everything I ate, with notes off to the side recording how I felt. I never could make heads or tails of what gave my stomach grief. It wasn't till I began following the paleo diet in my case that I found some relief with my condition. Now I'm further on with an elimination diet, with i suppose the SCD as the base, if that makes any sense. (Can't really say paleo diet as I'm eating a good amount of probiotic rich dairy of late. Tastes good, seems to be good for the gut, but also wears me out, and I think makes me a bit grumpy.)

In some respects I'm lucky in that I've made myself well in the past. The stomach problems went away, energy returned, my eyes even changed colors which came as a surprise. They went from brownish green to bright blue. I did this in the past with extreme elimination diets, eating a few foods over and over. The problem of course being it is easy to tire of eating the same foods. I wanted to add new foods, and this is where I ran into problems.

I suspect, don't know for sure, what happens with my condition is some food(s) are problematic. Once avoided over time, months, the gut heals. Once the offending food(s) are back in the diet it once again takes a good while before digestive problems return. Just a guess.

Hopfully this will not happen, but if you should ever find yourself in the situation were the medications are no longer working, and dietary trials look attractive, I'd suggest skipping on the detailed food journal, and instead trying one of the diets for a few months, such as the SCD, paleo, GAPs, or even an elimination diet to see if it helps the situations.

Good luck!

Kwalker, don't quit the diet dude, it's so much healthier for you and it'll definitely help keep your Crohn's in check, I know how it feels, iv deviated a little, added rice puffs in for cereal (I used to love cereal as snacks growing up, I still do haha), I use store bought almond milk, it's probs illegal, but still generally I feel pretty good, never bloated anymore, never suffer from gas, overall just feel way better, and don't worry about weight man, I'm only like 120-125 pounds, 5ft 9, iv always been really skinny, my metabolism is super fast, when it slows down I'll put the weight on.

Sorry you are having a rough day. Unfortunately, rough days are par for the course. Some days I am just so tired of making every single thing from scratch! Then I see how great E feels and it is worth it. Is it possible that the addition of just a little sugar (70% dark chocolate will have some sugar), has only made you crave it more? Would you be better to add the 100% cocoa to honey sweetened treats instead? Sugar is so addictive and I find that I am all or nothing with it. Just a small cheat and I crave it like mad! If you lived close I would make you some of E's cupcakes to cheer you up. :)

I was also thinking...your diet is very unlikely be this strict forever. Think of it as a time to heal and restore your health. I truly imagine that in a year or so E will be able to have white rice, potatoes, store bought almond milk, dark chocolate, and maybe even some sugar in limited amounts. You are at the bottom...let yourself heal and it will only get better from here :)

KWalker

I know, thanks. I'm not going to stop the diet, I just have bad days I guess. I was wondering if it could be because I've been using the dark chocolate having a little bit of sugar so once this bar is done, which will probably be within the next few days, I think I'll stick to 90% + because I've read with that percentage there is next to no sugar at all. I can get 100% at a few stores so I think I'll stick to that and see. I got really excited today to make those peanut butter brownies from Pinterest and then I realized how many ingredients it calls for, including a whole jar of peanut butter so that plan quickly went down the drain.

I'm going to try and use the cup cake recipe you posted soon. I saw that you mentioned using it in a pan and making brownies instead. Do you think it will be thick enough to hold together like that or will it be more like cake batter?

To think about it, I think it is sugar I've been craving. I also used to eat a lot of chips and dip and I haven't even been craving that. It's the cake, the chocolate bars, and the baked goods that I want. I wish the ingredients didn't use so much honey too. It's like $6 dollars for a 1kg bottle and it goes so fast when every single ingredient uses a lot of it.

I'm just feeling sorry for myself today. I'm bummed that my weight is down, I'm bummed that the recipes call for too many expensive ingredients, and I'm bummed that I can't go to the store and buy treats anymore.

I do not know about the brownie recipe. I have never tried it. I do know that you are supposed to use a greased 8x8 baking pan. Is there a place you can buy honey in a larger quantity? I purchase a 5lb bottle at Sam's Club for around $13. It is expensive so we don't pig out on sweets but it is much cheaper per pound than the standard grocery.

Don't feel bad for feeling bad. This diet IS difficult. Many people aren't even willing to give it a try because it is so restrictive. You have done great and I am super proud of you. Having a hard day does not mean you are weak, it means you have real blood in your veins. I know you will get through this!

KWalker

Thanks Charleigh, I appreciate it :)

Here's the recipe: http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/11/breaking-the-vicious-cycle-scd-peanut-butter-brownies/

I found another recipe for apple crisp without the crust but it seems like soooo much work. We have a store called the Peanut Mill I want to go look at sometime this week because it's a specialty grocery store basically for people who can't/don't eat normal food so I was hoping they might have some pre-made treats or something like that.

I have seen that recipe before and I bet it is yummy :)

When I make a real treat (like the cupcakes), I freeze most of them. This way we aren't tempted to eat them all up before they go stale. They might not have sugar but they are expensive to make (in my opinion) and we have a tight budget. If you make a batch of brownies and you are worried about the cost then cut them, eat one or two, let the rest cool,and then pop them in a freezer bag. Unless, of course, eating the whole pan is all that is keeping you sane at the moment. Then go ahead and eat the whole pan, lol.

Also, for time sake I find it easier to make large batches of things and freeze them. When I make cookies, I make a triple batch. I even take one lone bag and hide it in the freezer. Then when the kids think is the "last bag" it is only the second to last bag :) It is a life saver when I need something to send with E and I haven't had a chance to bake.

Walker

I've been on a number of different types of diets, and the carb restrictive are the hardest. Cravings for various foods can be intense, and the substitutions just aren't quite the same.

In recipes, flour is often substituted with pecans or walnuts, which can get expensive. So can the honey. Buying in bulk from SAMs club or Costco can help reduce the cost.

My husband and I don't use recipes that often. We just mix up whatever we have, so very little goes to waste, but we also basically know what works well together.

In some recipes, you can substitute peanuts for walnuts/pecans. Use water instead of milk, adding a little butter. You can usually cut way back on the amount of honey called for in the recipe, without noticing any difference in taste, or missing the extra honey.

We've even collected, deshelled, and mashed acorns into flour. A little tedious, but gives us something to do while watching tv. Acorn flour is Especially good for thickening flour.

Like Charleigh, we also cook in large quantities, divide up into individual meals and freeze. Cooking in large quantities helps bring the individual meal cost down, as well as time in the kitchen. We could eat for at least a week on the food we've prepared and frozen.

there's all kinds of little things you learn along the way to reduce the cost, and make cooking easier and less time consuming.

After a while, you discover that many of the foods you used to like, you can't even tolerate. Regular soda tastes like syrup now, and I don't like it in the least. Chips and fries are too greasy, while most fast food hamburgers taste like mush. It gets to the point where you don't eat junk food, because you just don't like it anymore.

It takes a while, but you'll get there.

Hi Kwalker. I just got back online and read your post. I'm so sorry you're so discouraged right now. I think we can all empathize greatly. I went off the diet. I do plan on going back on, just not right now. I wish I had some words of wisdom but everyone else has that covered wonderfully.

Is there any way you can bake up some nut flour sweet cakes? Sweet baked goods are the things I found the easiest to replace on SCD. There's a recipe for spiced whoopi pies on Comfy Belly that is outstanding. I lived off these things for awhile when I first discovered them.

http://comfybelly.com/

I understand it's expensive, but if you can somehow afford it nut flour just may pack on some pounds. I used to make nut flour cookies that I'd layer with a banana then drizzle vanilla flavored honey over and heat up till the banana was soft. Easy and tasted just like banana pudding. I had non-SCD people confirm that.

In addition, you can use liquid saccharin. It can be bitter alone but mixed with honey it enables you to use less honey.

KWalker

Thanks for the comments everyone. I don't mind cooking the meals every night, but when I spend all this time/money on baked goods and they taste like crap I can't help but get frustrated. We baked a bread once that had about $10 bucks worth of almond flour in it and I had one piece and just threw it out because it tasted awful and was so dense it wasn't even appetizing. That's why I stopped using nut flour. I actually have a bit of it in the freezer from my nut milk that I've been wanting to add to smoothies as a way of trying to add calories.

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out for you partlycloudy. I definitely understand and don't blame you one bit because this diet can be very challenging some times.

On another thread we were talking about avocados and you said that you hadn't tried them. They are SCD legal, full of good fats and easy to digest. Can you buy them locally?

KWalker

Yes I can, the grocery store near me actually has them on sale right now for 5 for $1.99. Is that a good price? Do you think those would help gain, or atleast maintain weight?

Yes, that's a good price - how good depends on the size of the fruit. Does it say what kind they are (are they pear-shaped or almost round?)

They certainly will add calories- they are very calorie dense- most of it in good unsaturated fats. They are also very adaptable and can be eaten in many different ways. You could even add them to your smoothies. Great just eaten out of the shell with a spoon - add salt or lemon juice or any other seasoning or sauce. They need to be ripe and you can test that buy pressing gently at the top end (where the stalk was). If they just give, they should be ripe. You can buy them unripe and put in your fruitbowel with bananas or apples and they will ripen in a few days.

Also avocados are very low on the pesticide residue lists (they are protected by the thick skin).

I've had a look on the web and there are delicious-sounding SCD legal Gaucamole recipes.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I don't mind cooking the meals every night, but when I spend all this time/money on baked goods and they taste like crap I can't help but get frustrated. We baked a bread once that had about $10 bucks worth of almond flour in it and I had one piece and just threw it out because it tasted awful and was so dense it wasn't even appetizing. .
Even using regular wheat flour, it takes practice to bake bread and get it to come out right. One reason that bread machines became popular is because you can just dump in the ingredients, set it, and the machine takes care of the rest.

Without a bread machine, you really have to know what you're doing. Baking bread from scratch is an art. You can't knead the bread too much or too little, you have to have the right environment to let it rise, punch it down just right, let it rise again just the right amount, before throwing it in oven. make a mistake in the timing, environment or kneading process, and it just won't bake properly.

We don't go so much by the recipes, more our senses. The feel of the texture, the appesrance of the rising dough, and the smell that tells us when it's done, and when to feed our starters, etc.

We've been making a sourdough starter in place of yeast, and the resulting bread is unbelievably more flavorful and delicious. Some of the "quick breads" we can make using kefir, but not table/sandwich bread. We usually use a combination of flours, including almond, rice, various whole wheat, chick peas, and ancient grains, but my husband's doctor put him on several diets, one of which is low-nickel, that requires he eat only WHITE bread, so we're using regular flour for the first time in years (organic, unbleached and unbromated, of course). just for the time being.

The breads known as "quick breads" are much easier, and faster-- such as banana bread, muffins, biscuits, wraps, white bean tortillas, etc. Quickbreads use baking soda instead of yeast or starter. If you just need a "bread fix", quickbreads are easier to make, and should do the trick, but it is not going to be the same as regular (yeast risen) bread.

For recipes that call for baking powder instead, we make our own by adding cream of tarter to baking soda, along with a touch of those crushed acorns. Commercial baking powder contains chemicals, including aluminum, yuk!

This is a quick bread recipe: http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/05/21/grain-free-white-bread-paleo-and-scd/

Make sure you let your avocados ripen before eating! Unripened avacados taste awful, and they only stay ripe for a day or two. If you bought 6, you probably won't want them to all ripen at the same time. Alternate ripening time by putting 2 in the frig, 2 on the counter, and 2 in a paper bag on the counter. The ones in the bag should ripen first, and the ones in the frig. will ripen last.

Avocados have about 250 calories each, about 80% of which is fat. Remember, once you slice them open, they go bad in a day, so only cut one open at a time.

Last edited:
Oh, if you like wandering in the woods and in need of a new project--you can use acorn flour in place of almond flour. Not only are acorns free, but they make better bread, and winter is the best time to go collecting them. Only you do have to soak them first--to get rid of the tannic acid, which is water soluble and rinses out easily.

Re - avocados, they are delish :)
A really nice way of having them is with egg mayonnaise in the middle, where the stone used to be, eating it out of the skin. yumm
(are you allowed egg mayonnaise? I really should look these things up before I suggest you recipes)
They are lovely in salads too :)

I can't seem to make a good sandwich bread. We stick with that cauliflower flat bread because it is the best we can do. I can make pretty good muffins, sweet breads, cookies, etc but not a sandwich bread.
I was an avid bread baker before my family went on this diet. I bought whole wheat berries and ground them fresh to make incredible bread. It just takes wheat to get a sandwich bread.period. I have given up wasting ingredients trying.

Re - avocados, they are delish :)
A really nice way of having them is with egg mayonnaise in the middle, where the stone used to be, eating it out of the skin. yumm
(are you allowed egg mayonnaise? I really should look these things up before I suggest you recipes)
They are lovely in salads too :)
Yes, mayo is legal on the SCD diet, but it's best if you make it yourself, which only takes a few minutes. But it is a little tricky, and without preservatives, has to be consumed within the week.

We eat them the same way, only with a honey French dressing, in place of the mayo. Adds a nice sweet-tart flavor, to satisfy cravings, is also SCD legal, lasts a lot longer in the fridge, and can be used for many things.

I can't seem to make a good sandwich bread. We stick with that cauliflower flat bread because it is the best we can do. I can make pretty good muffins, sweet breads, cookies, etc but not a sandwich bread.
I was an avid bread baker before my family went on this diet. I bought whole wheat berries and ground them fresh to make incredible bread. It just takes wheat to get a sandwich bread.period. I have given up wasting ingredients trying.
There are some nut bread recipes that incorporate both yeast and baking soda to produce fluffy soft sandwich style bread. We've eaten them at vegetarian restaurants that specialize in gluten and wheat free menu items, and they're wonderful. Haven't tried replicating the recipes at home yet, but have been thinking abut it...

We like to "Lois Lang Bread" from the book - Breaking the Vicious Cycle. Makes great grilled cheese sandwichs along with others - peanut butter, tuna, scd french toast.

KWalker

I have yet to find a good bread as well so for now I've given up. I made this one bread recipe and thought it didn't look too bad so I spread some peanut butter on it and started eating like a sandwich. Holy cow! I think I had to chew over 1000 times to get each piece down lol. It was awful!

Store bought mayonaise is illegal, isn't it? I found some made from E.V. olive oil and I wanted to try that but I thought all prepared mayo was illegal so you had to make your own. I don't eat mayo by itself so it wouldn't be worth it for me to make my own, but it can be used as fillers/in dressing so I thought the store brand might not be bad.

Next time I go to the store I'm going to buy 1 or 2 avocados and see what I think. Susan, they are like a pear shape. I also went to the store yesterday and they had bone in, skin on chicken breasts on a huge sale so I got 4 HUGE ones for 4.99! I'm going to go back and get more that's really cheap for my lunches.

I've been on the fence about what I'm going to do but I haven't had potatoes OR chocolate in 2 days and so far my BM's are starting to get better. I can't, however determine if it's from the chocolate, the potatoes, or both. I just know that potatoes are legal on the paleo diet so it makes me wonder how bad they are. I'm leaning towards cutting out just the chocolate for now and then seeing how I am, and if things don't continue to improve then I could cut out potatoes too.

I've been super busy this week because it is my reading week and I left all my school essays to do over this break so now I have 3 essays to do before Monday. Yay me... lol. so I haven't had a chance to go to that health food store I talk about but I'm confident that they will have some snacks I could buy that are "legal" for the diet.

Walker,

To me, making all types of dressings and condiments from scratch is assumed, but you are right,

Most store bought mayo is illegal, I believe because it contains sugar. There was an organic mayo called Spectrum, that was sugar free made with honey, and I was pretty sure it was SCD legal as well. Don't know if it's sold anymore.

Don't like making mayo unless I have to. It's ticky. You have to drizzle the oil in slowly, or it just doesn't thicken properly, and isn't usable. When it does come out right, it only lasts a couple of days in the fridge. I can't stand wasting materials either.

French dressing is so much easier. Just mix together some (homemade) ketchup, oil, vinegar, salt, and honey, and shake well. Stays fresh in the fridge for a good long time too. We use it in place of mayo for most things, even sandwiches.

Potatoes are illegal on the SCD diet because the starch is a complex carb. SCD only allows single molecule carbs. or mono-saccharides. The starch in potatoes is a poly-saccharide, a whole slew of glucose molecules strung together, and connected with glycosidic bonds. This goes completely against the major principles of the diet.

I don't think adding potatoes will necessarily defeat the entire purpose, as long as the use is very limited, maybe once a week in small quantities. Same with dark chocolate, but I would recommend limiting both, at least in the beginning.

I've been on every imaginable diet, and for certain allergies, there's rotation diets in which you rotate certain food groups and only eat them on certain days, in limited quantities. The theory is that most diets fail because dieters get bored and frustrated, and finally give up. Also, many food allergies are "borderline", meaning they won't effect you if consumed in limited quantities, at least not very much. So once you identify them, you only eat them, for example, at one meal, every 4-5 days. I'm no longer on this diet, but still adhere to the basic principles which I've no doubt is one of the reasons I've been able to keep my allergies in remission.

Rotation diets are also used for "leaky gut syndrome". If interested, see link: http://www.food-allergy.org/rotation.html

This way, you don't end up feeling deprived, and after a while, you get so used to eating healthier foods, you don't even like the other types. We had sloppy joes last night, and our frozen homemade mix was great. But even though we baked our own buns, my husband is currently restricted to low nickel white flour, and they tasted pretty bland. There wasn't anything wrong with them. We've just gotten used to a greater variety of flavors and textures, which we now prefer.

BTW, peanut butter spread on celery stalks is very yummy.

KWalker

I know potatoes are illegal on the SCD, but they're allowed on the Paleo and many people have success with the Paleo so I just wanted to give them a try. Like I said, if things get worse I'll stop them. Things have been improving since the last time I had the dark chocolate as well as the potatoes but I just haven't had any meals with potatoes so I don't know if that was the cause or if it was the chocolate. I think my problem with the chocolate was that it was only 70%. If I get 100% I'm sure that will be different.

I love sloppy joes! They're such low quality and garbage, but they're so delicious lol. I haven't had them in so long :( I never thought to try and make it home made. We've just tried the Manwich kind you get in the can lol

Also, I'm just putting some pictures online then I'll have an update!

KWalker

The best part about this thread, pictures! These are in no specific order, just meals I've ate since the last update.

Here's a big salad I had for dinner. We also put carrots and cucumbers in it and the flavors really complimented eachother
[/IMG]

I guess this picture is a little blurry. This is seasoned tilapia with fried broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. A little salad on the side as well
[/IMG]

This is one of those chicken breasts I talked about how I got 4 in a pack for 5 dollars. Good deal if you ask me, they're huge!
[/IMG]

This is a honey garlic chicken we made with fried potatoes with melted cheese on top
[/IMG]

Mariah wanted to try a new recipe for a dry rub for ribs so we made ribs, mashed potatoes (skin in), using butter instead of milk, and some mixed veggies
[/IMG]

Lastly, I finally got a chance to go to the Peanut Mill (health food store) today and found these. I already ate one of the Larabars but I thought I'd take a pic of what I had left.
These are all 100% SCD legal and the chocolate included is 100% pure cocoa powder. The Larabars are delicious and come in a wide variety of flavors. Again, 100% legal (most of them) and delicious! One bar was 230 calories as well so it's a great snack. Each bar was $1.99 so they're not super cheap, but if you buy them in a box you can get them cheaper.

[/IMG]

Watch for LaraBar sales at Kroger's (or Kroger owned grocery stores), Whole Foods and Sprouts - about every other month, I can find them on sale for $1 a bar. And, Target sales them in a box of 6 ($1.25 a bar) and last week they had $1 off coupons.

KWalker

I think we might actually try and make our own. I will post the link, but many people say they are significantly cheaper to make your own. The cheapest I've found at is $1.99 individually or $28/16 bars plus a $3 off coupon from bulk barn bringing them to $25. We found them on amazon.com for $19/16 bars but to bring those to Canada would be much more expensive. We have found them a lot cheaper in the US but we have targets opening here now so I will keep an eye on them.

Would you guys be interested in me posting the recipe to make your own?

walker,

There's lots of SCD sloppy joe recipes on line, but in it's simplest form, sloppy joes consist of nothing more than ketchup and Worcestershire sauce--which is actually a fermented fish sauce, made with malt vinegar, tamarind and anchovies. I know. We were surprised too! Unfortunately, commercial Worchestershire sauce usually contains sugar.

We brew our own Worchestershire sauce, which is far more potent than the store brands, so it doesn't take much to add incredible flavoring to sloppy joes, and if you make them right, are extremely healthy. We make Worchestershire sauce with bootstrap molasses, which isn't SCD legal, but there are many substitutes. Sloppy Joes do not actually require Worchestershire sauce.

One other thing I've noticed. The plates of food you've been posting look incredibly scrumptious and have been inspiring me to create and develop new meals, but frankly, my husband is 6'2", and none of the plates you've been posting would be anywhere near enough to feed him, and he's far from overweight.

I'm a little over 5 foot tall, 5' 1 and three quarters of an inch to be precise, and those plates might feed me, but my husband's a millwright and eats twice as much.

I'm an accountant, and can calculate the approximate calories on those plates in my head. I also took note of the height difference between you and your significant other. Unless are eating 2-3 of those plates per meal, or supplimenting with additional calories, those plates do not contain anywhere near enough calories to sustain a healthy weight for your height. Especially not if you are also active.

I rarely eat more than 1 sloppy joe, but at 6'2", my husband eats at least 2-3, and that just maintains his weight. He literally consumes more than double the calories I do. The caloric requirements of tall people are greatly increased, it's not "inch for inch".

If you have been having a problem maintaining or gaining weight, This may be a contributing factor.

KWalker

I almost always eat more than that, I just thought it would be silly to take a picture of every plate lol. I can eat a lot too, just for some reason I don't gain weight. I'm really active so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it as well. I eat much more than Mariah as well. She's always watching what she eats, and I watch to make sure I've made sure there's nothing left lol.

That's reassuring. I was concerned because a lot of people who lose their appetite due to various illnesses aren't even aware of the caloric requirements to maintain, and gain weight, and also don't take height discrepancies into account. They think that as long as they're they're eating the same quantities as we midgets, that should be enough. It isn't.

I just wanted to make sure you knew.

KWalker

I appreciate the concern. You don't have to worry about me with food though lol. If I have it, I'll eat it lol

That's also reassuring, and I'd love to see the recipes to,make the bars, but to be honest, still haven't gotten out to the store for the rest of of ingredients for Charleigh's cupcakes. With all the snow, haven't been wanting to venture outdoors, and have the food storage so I don't need to-- but I will! Our current food supples won't last forever, so please post the recipes :)

KWalker

http://mywholefoodlife.com/2013/02/11/coconut-cream-larabars/ is the website where I found the recipe for the one I tried today. It looks identical. I was roughly doing the math and noticed that it might not be all that cheaper because the dates are not cheap.

Oh, and they also range in calories. I have one that was 250 calories, one was 230, and one was 210 so I guess it depends on what is all in there. That macaroon holds a nice 310 calories though lol

Actually this website has a few, and lots of other healthy stuff as well. You would just have to go through and see what is legal and what isn't http://mywholefoodlife.com/

KWalker

What kind of dates? We do have a costco, I've just been hesitant to sign up because I haven't found any spectacular deals when other grocery stores have sales similar. We planned on going back and looking more in depth to it, I'm just afraid we won't use it enough to make it worth it

I'm currently out of dates, but plan on buying them next time I go to Costco. I'll let you know what kind because right now it's not coming to mind.

Items I buy at Costco:

frozen salmon
frozen strawberries (for smoothies)
frozen tropical fruit (for smoothies)
natural peanut butter (peanut butter brownies)
olive oil
honey
Fruit Leather
Almonds
butter
100% Grape Juice
Cheddar Cheese

Peanut Butter Brownies

2 cups peanut butter
2 large eggs
½ cup honey
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1. Preheat oven to 325. Line the bottom of a 8” square pan with parchment pan.
2. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and stir until mixed well.
3. Lightly press the mixture into the prepared pan.
4. Bake until lightly browned around the edges and still a bit soft in the middle, about 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and let cool.
6. Run a knife around the edges of the dish and turn them over onto a plate.
7. Remove parchment paper and let completely cool before cutting.
8. Store in the refrigerator. Freeze some for later.

Interesting to watch your progress,

I'd recommend trying pure cocoa powder rather than chocolate so you know if its the cocoa rather than the sugar/(soy) emulsifier/corn syrup/ whatever, then trying an organic dark chocolate later.......
You might be rushing things with the chocolate, and it may be that the chocolate led to the troubled patch.
Introducing two new ingredients close to each other (potatoes and chocolate) adds to the confusion, might be one, might be the other , might be the combination.

Nut breads are usually terrible but nut pastries are great
I'll try to post a sweet SCD (+cocoa powder) flan recipe.

As far as gaining weight, I found that the chocolate truffles that i posted a while ago are a really easy way of eating lots of almonds, i can get through two cups of almond flour in an evening without even noticing.

I'm not a mayo fan, but olive oil and lemon is my fav dressing

KWalker

I can't see myself making mayo anytime soon, but yeah hugh that's pretty much what I do for dressing as well. It's always olive oil but sometimes I use lemon, sometimes I use an orange, etc. Luckily I always liked veggies/salad so I was never one of those people to smother my salad in dressing to over power the taste.

I've since cut out the chocolate and all I will use right now is 100% cocoa powder and things have improved again. I probably was rushing things, I just thought I'd try..oh well, now I know.

Nut pastries are pretty good, and so are the candied nuts I've made/posted back near the beginning. I also bought a big bag of almonds as well so I can just snack on almonds, or make home made chocolate covered almonds with the pure cocoa powder.

Here's a recipe for Sesame Honey candy. I used to eat this before I ever heard of SCD or Crohn's, long long ago.

http://nourishedkitchen.com/sesame-honey-candy/

Also, don't know if you've tried it, Kwalker (or anyone), but fried chicken is easy to re-create SCD style. Simply dip nuggets or strips in egg, a bit of mustard, salt, pepper, then rolled in almond flour is delicious. Nut flour burns quickly so I'd fry until it was browned then finish cooking in the oven. I seriously doubt anyone would know it was a "special diet" coating.

If I can't stick to SCD I can at least try to help y'all. :biggrin:

Hi! I'm new here, but I did the SCD for 6 months. I managed to get back into remission, and then I started reintroducing foods. I'm starting to flare up again (ugh), so I need some SCD motivation. Mind if I follow along?

Welcome, Plaid. I was on it for 10 months last year and feeling great then went off and haven't manged to stay on it since then. I hang out here hoping some of the motivation will rub off on me too. :ybiggrin:

KWalker

We make somewhat of a fried chicken as well partlycloudy. We use almost flour as a breading and then fry it in olive oil until it gets nice and crispy.

plaidknitter, welcome, and of course you can join in! The more the merrier!

Yes I can, the grocery store near me actually has them on sale right now for 5 for $1.99. Is that a good price? Do you think those would help gain, or atleast maintain weight?
You can add avocado to a smoothie, you can also add dry curd cheese, lots of bananna, coconut oil. All this would add some calories to your day:)

KWalker

Wow I haven't updated in a little while. I've now reached 2 months on the diet and I seem to be back to normal with BM's just from cutting out the chocolate and continuing to eat the potatoes. I've increased my peanut butter intake as well and have been dipping fruits and some veggies in the PB to get some extra calories.

I think I have some pictures to put on as well when I get on my other computer. Just wanted to let you guys know I'm still going at it

Hi - we have had my 12 yo son on the SCD for 2 weeks now and I'm doing it with him, so is dad. I just wanted to tell you the headaches are most likely toxins leaving your body and the cravings, especially for sugar, will go away soon. I was shocked to find I was at the grocery store and not even tempted by anything on the shelves. I bought 2 cookbooks: Turtle Soup and Recipes For The Specific Carb Diet. So far I've made the pasta-less lasagna which is amazing and uses zucchini instead of noodles, plus an applesauce cake and a bread. My son is allergic to eggs to a big more challenging there but it can be done. Please keep posting so we can follow you..I love that you post what you ate for each meal. It really helps.

KWalker

Hey Gingermom, you're right about the headaches and luckily I haven't had any in a long time. I'm just past two months on the diet now and feeling great. I haven't had any updated blood work yet because my doctor wants me to make an appointment with a specialist and I've just been putting it off because I don't see it as necessary right now so I've just been avoiding the conversation with her regarding why I haven't made an appointment yet.

Towards the top of the thread you can find a lot of great recipe websites as well that a lot of us use. I also have some pictures to upload of some apple crisp I made as well as some other foods (I think) but I've just been so busy lately that I haven't sat down at the computer I have all the pictures on. My sister is coming down to visit this weekend and it is my first time meeting her so I've been trying to get all my school work done and clean ahead of time so I don't have to worry about it on the weekend.

How did the visit from your sister go? I hope that it was positive and that you started to form a bond with her. It would be great if you had some family support.

K I commend you for lasting two months so far. I couldn't make it past the second week without cheating. I think I was so happy to be feeling better that I really wanted to enjoy some of the foods that had caused me pain in the past. I can't wait to see your pics....they inspire me and give me ideas for my own meals. Speaking of which, how do you upload pics directly into your posts? Please keep posting and please keep staying faithful to the diet. It helps me and I'm sure others who want to give up. It helps to see your posts and others who are staying on the diet...then I feel like if you can do it I can too. :)

KWalker

Our visit went well actually, much better than I was expecting. We had a really fun weekend which was what I needed as a break from school and I got to meet my brother-in-law as well as my niece and nephews. It was a lot of fun.

I saw that you cheated monirob lol. tisk tisk! Just kidding, I know how hard the diet can be and I don't really blame you for cheating, although it might affect your results. I upload pictures onto the computer and then put them onto www.photobucket.com which is basically an online photo album. From there I can copy and paste them onto here.

I guess I don't have as many pictures as I planned, but I wanted to show you guys the apple crisp we made.

In the picture it looks a little burnt, but it's a really old pan so it kind of messes with how the apple crisp looks

It has apple, coconut, almonds, almond flour, etc. Completely SCD legal

KWalker

thanks guys! Susan2, I was actually thinking about how delicious some warm caramel sauce would be on top

Man I had some tasty ass chicken for dinner, got tenderloins, cooked in butter and coconut oil, but rolled em in almond meal to give it a schnitzel type coating, was delicious, wrapped it up in a rice wrap but... And used store bought sweet chilli (thumbs down I know) but damn it was a taste sensation

KWalker

I haven't posted the fudge recipe yet because Mariah made it and I'm not sure which recipe she used....but I can tell you it's amazing lol. I have to get the recipe for the banana muffins as well because those were aweome as well

KWalker

Just a bit of an update. First, I just want to point out that although it is April fools, this is not an April fools joke. After a lot of talking between Mariah and I have decided that I cannot 100% commit to the SCD diet at this time. Being at the end of the school year funds are running short, I have no idea where my time is going but I don't know the last time I took some time for myself, and I weighed myself at a low of 146 a few days ago which really caught me off guard.

Simply put I cannot get enough calories and don't have enough money to try too. So what I've decided is to stick mostly to SCD but I will also be eating some foods that are not legal such as potatoes, rice, some pasta (but not pasta sauce) and other foods that aren't super unhealthy but also provide needed calories at a lower price.

This doesn't mean I'm going to run to the store to grab things like chips and ice cream but at this time I think I can only really commit to about 80% of the diet. I am still making fruit smoothies and having lots of fruits and veggies but at the end of the day there's just no calories in there. I will also be supplementing with organic psyllium because I have used it in the past and have had success with controlling BM's with it, just to make sure I don't go back to going to the bathroom as much as I did.

I feel defeated and I am disappointed with myself but right now I feel like this is the right decision for myself. When I originally started the diet I was around 160lbs and I was doing really well maintaining the weight but for some reason I started to really lose weight despite having all this fudge and peanut butter. I am still a huge supporter of the diet and I will always advocate towards diet because this diet has worked wonders for me I need to find a happy medium for myself right now and then once the other factors allow for it, I can shift back towards 100% commitment.

I hope you guys understand and respect my decisions and I will continue to follow each and everyone of your SCD threads because you all have my full support.