• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

4 months post op - struggling to sleep

Hi,

Hope everyone on here is well.

I haven't needed to post for ages been so very well since my ileocolic resection on the 25th July 2013.

There is just one thing really annoying me... Iv struggled to sleep ever since. It's currently quarter to 1 and I'm not even tired after a full day of college. Pretty much since I left hospital iv struggled to get to sleep at 10 pm and some ought a (like tonight I can be up till after midnight.

Has anyone else had this problem after they have has an operation.

Thanks
Kate

PS I'm 17 with Crohn's disease and 15cm less bowel.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hi nellie,

I'm glad you are feeling so much better

I did find this problem for a while, I think partly because I felt so well that my body didn't really know what to do with itself, it had a lot more energy to play with because it didn't have to fight so hard anymore. I'm flaring a bit again now though, so I don't have that issue at the moment.

Being in hospital and then coming out and being disrupted because of pain can make our sleeping patterns alter and go strange for a while, normally it corrects itself, but for some people this does take a while.

You may find it helpful to turn off the tv / pc etc about an hour before bed and just read or have peaceful music playing as the light in modern screens has a Sun mimicking affect on the brain, so it doesn't release the usual sleep hormones.

You could also try some chamomile tea if you can stomach it, or maybe some lavender oil on your pillow which can help to soothe and relax you.

Try to get into a routine of going to bed at a regular time and getting up at a regular time, this should help your body to stabilize.

If you feel comfortable using them and your doctor doesn't object then you could try some basic otc sleeping aids, your pharmacist should be able to point you in the right direction.

I always have this problem after surgery. I'm not even sure why. My last surgery was the worst because they had to reduce my Amitriptyline dose - which not only helps me sleep, but also causes insomnia as a withdrawal symptom, so I stood no chance. While I was in hospital they even prescribed me some other sleep med, and I was still awake all night, every night. The worse thing is I get restless leg syndrome after surgeries, so not only can I not sleep, I can't keep still for a moment either.

I've found that the more major the surgery and the more sick I've been, the longer the insomnia lasts. As I start to feel better, I start to sleep better. I'm not sure why you'd still be having this problem so long after surgery though. After my last surgery, I started sleeping well again after about three weeks (and I was also back on my usual Amitriptyline dose by then). Are you feeling back to normal in all other respects? Has anything else changed since the surgery that could be affecting your sleep - e.g. have you changed medications? Do you have pain or anything else that is keeping you awake?

It may be worth discussing sleep meds with your doctor.

I always have this problem after surgery. I'm not even sure why. My last surgery was the worst because they had to reduce my Amitriptyline dose - which not only helps me sleep, but also causes insomnia as a withdrawal symptom, so I stood no chance. While I was in hospital they even prescribed me some other sleep med, and I was still awake all night, every night. The worse thing is I get restless leg syndrome after surgeries, so not only can I not sleep, I can't keep still for a moment either.

I've found that the more major the surgery and the more sick I've been, the longer the insomnia lasts. As I start to feel better, I start to sleep better. I'm not sure why you'd still be having this problem so long after surgery though. After my last surgery, I started sleeping well again after about three weeks (and I was also back on my usual Amitriptyline dose by then). Are you feeling back to normal in all other respects? Has anything else changed since the surgery that could be affecting your sleep - e.g. have you changed medications? Do you have pain or anything else that is keeping you awake?

It may be worth discussing sleep meds with your doctor.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I'm feeling tones better than before surgery. Never felt so good. The only thing that's changed is I'm on no meds. I was on azathioprine and infliximab before. Also had a feeding tube 12 weeks before my op.

Hi nellie.By chance have you just came off prednisolone steriods??I was on them for a good 7 months and found insomnia was torture for the 1st few months,Hopefully it dies down soon