• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Walk in clinics SUCK

C

chadta

Heres my story

Monday morning, big meeting at work, so i go, big D or not, after the meeting i go home. Wednesday still having the big D i go to the walk in clinic, doc says "yeah yeah youve got big D, stay home the rest of the week, heres your note." The following monday everything was still the same so i went back to the walk in clinic, basically told the same thing. Its now Friday week 2 with the big D, ive lost a enough weight that its noticable, my wife and mother insist that i go to the hospital so away i go.

I get a bunch of blod tests done before the GI guy comes in and i get transferred to a different hospital, they basically just start me on prednisone and imuran and send me home. I continue to have the big D and lose weight until my follow up with the GI and which point i am re admitted to the hospital. They then run more tests and hit me with a dose of remicade. The day after the remicade it was like somebody flipped a switch, i felt so good, but oh so weak.

Breakdown, im now on 75 mg of imuran, and my 3rd dose of remicade, i just finished prednisone which i started at 40 mg for 1 week and went down 5mg per week. My weight is back up to 150 lbs after bottoming out at about 115, my starting weight was 180. With any luck ill be strong enough to be able to survive 8 hours standing up shortly and will be able to make my way back to work.

Moral of the story, get a doctor, dont rely on walk in clinics cuz they suck, i saw 3 different doctors in there and not one of them thought there was a problem wiht me having the bid D for 2 weeks straight.

V

Valentina

hi and welcome chadta, sounds like a bit of a mess at first.. great advice about the walk in clinics as well. not the best place to be when you need actual tests and care it sounds.
and I dont want to flip it around on you but very lucky for you you noticed anything at all with one dose of remicade and manged to figure out your drugs which sounds like a relativly short amount of time (me always trying to see the bright side of things :) :) )
hope you keep well, and are able to get your life back.

K

Kossy

Yes walk in clinics suck if you have a chronic illness. I think they are only good if you break a finger or need some stitches. But even then if they just need to cast your arm or sown up and they know you have a chronic condition they automatically say it was because of your condition. I'm not sure how having Crohn's affected me enough for me to step on a nail on accident but the doctors will insist it does.

I have never been to a walk on clinic so I do not know how they are but the stories I have heard are bot so good.

I am glad you seem to be recovering well

Kossy that doctor was a badword

S

Skinsfan1229

I think walk-in clinics are good just not for IBD, they arent particularly good for something you cant see with your eyes.

Why didnt they just admit you and give you stronger doses of steriods while in the hospital seems like they just jumped to the bigger guns to me, did you go through more and just not type it?

Def glad remicade works for you. It was liek a switch for me after my first infusion...energy like crazy, like a normal person.

Karen

FRIEND 4 1 & ALL

I pray that you have a good time ... meet lots of folks & have a great time here with us. I am GRANDMA BEAR aka KAREN. The group here let me in due to the fact that my husband is the one with CROHN'S & the support here is wonderful so have a great time !!​

H

healthycookie

Words to live by

I went to a walk in clinic when I first noticed bleeding and he gave me stool softeners and glycerin suppositories. I never got super sick so it ended up taking my 19 doctors in 3 years to finally get diagnosed. People need to start going to their doctors and getting heard!