• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonscopy prep

Hi - Just wondering if anyone here can help me. I am meant to be having my colonscopy tomorrow - eek - however found that as I was preparing the prep that what the hospital sent through to me says; do not take if you have Crohn's Disease - there care senna tablets and cyrameg. Now having rung everyone I can think off in the hospital everyone says, oh it's OK to take, and make me feel like a complete loony, however I just spoke to someone who said something about a clear prep or something but would have to rebook.
Now just wondering has anyone taken these senna tablets and am I being over-cautious? I mean my whole story with Crohn's started when I took some medication, whilst not realising I had crohn's and then the whole bloody thing flared up as it said to not take if you have crohns. Thanks

Tell me if i'm correct. The doc. told you to take the whole bottle. But on the bottle it says to take 18mg or 2 tablespoons. If so the instructions are for over the counter use. So don't worry and just listen.:):confused2::)

I had t twice.

When I was told to use magnesium citrate as a prep it was more than double the "recommended dose". the dose on the package is to relieve constipation, we are going a few steps further.

I have used senna in the normal case (to get things moving). Although I've been prescribed many different preps, senna was never one of them.

In terms of a 'normal dose', how much senna do they have you taking?

I can't find out what "cyrameg" is...the google machine fails me on that one.

If you received instructions from a gastro doctor to use this particular prep, then it would seem to me that would overrride the instructions on the bottle (I presume your GI doc knows you have CD). For instance, one of the preps I did used this stuff called "phospho soda" (I literally feel a little ill just typing those words). The normal instructions are not as "severe" as the colonoscopy prep instructions.

I've had a colonoscopy prep in the past that also said not to use if you have IBD. I think it's fairly standard text, as my dr knew I had IBD and still prescribed the prep. I can't remember which one it was now I'm afraid. I wouldn't worry too much, so long as the prescribing dr knows you have Crohn's.

What the others said. And a tip: in my opinion the prep is so gross (although they have a new grape flavor which is better than the lemon) so what I do (I've have I think 6 colonoscopies since 2002 and I only figured this tip out for the last two I had) is drink the magnesium in small shot glasses every 30 minutes. It is way better than drinking it all at once.

I always get given 10 senna along with the prep. Ugh. They cannot do the test if you bowel isn't as clean as a whistle. The stuff on the package just means that you shouldn't be taking them over the counter for constipation if you have crohns. Drink plenty of water. Make sure you have sedation for the scope, it makes it easier.

What the others said. And a tip: in my opinion the prep is so gross (although they have a new grape flavor which is better than the lemon) so what I do (I've have I think 6 colonoscopies since 2002 and I only figured this tip out for the last two I had) is drink the magnesium in small shot glasses every 30 minutes. It is way better than drinking it all at once.
I prefer to get it ice cold (the lemon one) and chug it. My stomach would turn too much at the thought of another shot in 30 minutes.

It is a very good tip, though. . . everyone had different preferences.

I always get given 10 senna along with the prep. Ugh. They cannot do the test if you bowel isn't as clean as a whistle. The stuff on the package just means that you shouldn't be taking them over the counter for constipation if you have crohns. Drink plenty of water. Make sure you have sedation for the scope, it makes it easier.
FYI, my bowel is never as clean as a whistle. its fine. only the very first time did my bm's become a clear liquid. Every other time (maybe 5?) have had some residue in the BM and the doctor never even mentioned it.

I never fast for the 24 hours they suggest. I always schedule my apt for first thing in the morning and I will eat a big breakfast the day before and possibly a smaller, light snack (nothing fiberous) before noon..

I had a scope yesterday and an enema which didn't work, so my GI couldn't really see much. With the prep, I usually end up with clear liquid when I go to the toilet. It is better to veer on the side of caution, rather than have to have it repeated, which I now have to with prep this time :(