• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting Humira Soon

I am due to start my Humira in a few weeks I've arranged for the delivery in 3 weeks times but I may have to bring that in a bit given my glare got a bit out of hand when I tapered down my prednisolone so they started me back on it again last Wednesday and after seeing my IBD nurse today she's upped it again to 30mg until Humira is started and starts to work then I can taper again. I am already so fat, gained 36lbs this flare already with many more to come I'm sure.

Questions I have about Humira are did it make you gain weight?

Is it painful to inject I used to have to inject methotrexate and I hated that.

I am so scared about starting this drug so any advice or positive stories will be greatly received. Thanks for reading :sign0085:

When I was on Humira, it did not make me gain weight. I felt very little side effects from it....the only thing I noticed was that it made my hair a little thinner, but I didn't have bald spots or anything like that. There are two types of shots: the pen and the syringe. I used both and I found that the pen hurt more.....it stung when the medicine went in. The syringe gave me more control and it stung less because it could inject more slowly.

Good luck!

That's really positive to hear that thank you. I really am quite worried as nothing else they've given me has agreed with me so I'm crossing my fingers this one is good.

I see you're currently on pred just now. How do you find it? Also is it a tumeric supplement you take I've heard its good for inflammation but never taken it unless it's in food.

Thanks again for your reply.

That's really positive to hear that thank you. I really am quite worried as nothing else they've given me has agreed with me so I'm crossing my fingers this one is good.

I see you're currently on pred just now. How do you find it? Also is it a tumeric supplement you take I've heard its good for inflammation but never taken it unless it's in food.

Thanks again for your reply.
I hope it works for you! I am finishing up a prednisone taper, and I'm just on 5 mg right now. I can't wait to get off of it, since I've been on it pretty much since July, and it's not a drug that's good to be on for more than a month or two if you can avoid it. My GI perscribed it to me. Tumeric is supposed to be wonderful for inflammation in general and also good for the brain, and some people say it help to prevent some cancers. Tumeric doesn't really help me when I'm flaring, but it's inexpensive and not really harmful so I take it in pill form or like a tea....I figure it can't hurt.

I might give it a try just to see if it helps. I've been on presnisolone since August and have at least another 5 weeks at 30g before I can taper so I'm not looking forward to that. This is the longest I've ever been on it as j normally taper and that's me but this is the first time I'm been put back on it. I also heard berries can help too so I had a smoothie today blueberries strawberries raspberries blackberries and banana. I sieved it all to remove all the seeds as I've read they can irritate your tummy. I hope you're well once you come off your 5mg.

I might give it a try just to see if it helps. I've been on presnisolone since August and have at least another 5 weeks at 30g before I can taper so I'm not looking forward to that. This is the longest I've ever been on it as j normally taper and that's me but this is the first time I'm been put back on it. I also heard berries can help too so I had a smoothie today blueberries strawberries raspberries blackberries and banana. I sieved it all to remove all the seeds as I've read they can irritate your tummy. I hope you're well once you come off your 5mg.
Good call on removing the seeds! From what I know, prednisolone and prednisone are basically the same thing.

Started humira about a month ago.....so far so good! On Monday I'll be doing just one injection!!! Yay! I feel really good tho and am currently tapering off Entocort. I'll be doing 3 mg this and next week and will be off the Entocort and just on Humira! I must say this is the best I've felt in years between the two meds! The biggest improvement is in my energy level! I've been even able to start exercising 3x/week!!! No more extreme fatigue! Good luck to you!!!:thumleft::thumleft

Started Humira in February. Had to stop in late March due to gallbladder surgery, and restarted Humira in early June. Humira to me, is virtually painless. I use the pens, and inject weekly. Compared to Predisone, azathioprine, hell, even pentasa, way less side effects. I can see why more doctors are starting biologics earlier on.

My only advice would be to not have any preconceived notions about it and not to worry too much about the pain. It stings for 10 seconds at most and then it's over for 2 weeks!

Humira is already working for me after the loading doses and one self-injection. I've finally managed to get down to 5mg of pred without symptoms returning! So keep positive and believe it will work for you, I think that's really important.

Hi. For those of you who have been on Humira and had it bring your crohns under control - how bad were your symptoms before you started? I'm due to start Humira any day now but worried that the disease is beyond being brought under control by treatment (v worried that I'm going to need surgery).
Had a resection about 15yrs ago and as the crohns is currently throughout my entire large intestine, surgery could potentially be life changing 😔. I know Humira has good success rates but as we all know, the key with treating crohns is to get in early. Very annoyed with my doctors (and myself) for not getting started sooner (had to wait months for the tests required before starting on Humira).
Any info on bad symptoms brought under control by Humira would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone for your positive messages it's so good to hear success stories. Sorry I took as long to get back to you all I've been so busy and struggling to do everything just now. I really do hope this is the one that helps me. Delivery will be here in two weeks then I need to get my nurse booked for my first loading dose. Nervous but excited I might actually start to feel normal again, this flare just isn't letting go and has gone on for far too long early May at least. I'm hoping I can hang on for the two weeks without having to go in for IV steroids, nurse called today to say my CRP is 10 which I know isn't bad but even when I had a calprotectin in the 800's at the start of my flare my CRP was below 6 so the fact it's micing while on 30mg prednisolone isn't a great sign.

Thanks again everyone I really appreciate all the support.