• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Pentasa

Hi. I found out I had Crohn's last May, after having a portion of my lower intestines removed because of Diverticulitis. While the surgeon was in there, he said I had fistulas trying to attach themselves (the lower bowel to the upper bowel) and that was where my right-side pain was always coming from. It had been suspected, however, since the year 2000, when I had quite a few intestinal issues and tests being performed.

I am new to all of this, but mostly new in my mind. My body has been suffering for quite some time. I look forward to being a part of this support group.

I was wondering if anyone out there is on Pentasa and if there have been any side effects of it, such as anxiety. My doctor was going to put me on a low-dose chemo, but after seeing current blood workup, etc., decided that she would try something a little less threatening. I feel a lot better, except I struggle sleeping. Just wanting someone else's experience with the meds that are used for this disease. This is the first time I've ever had to take any type of medicine permanently and/or for this long. Thanks....

my son is on pentasa, he is 3 almost 4 and has crohns. He has been on it for about a year. i have found it to work for the most part but he seems to be having a flare up now and is having a hard time sleeping and is very cranky lately. idk if this helps but good luck!!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

When I was on the Pentesa I didn't have any side effects, out of intereet have your docs ever checked your vitamin levels? If not ask to get these done as people here do tend to get deficiences in this area and this could in part contribute to how you are feeling. How long have you been on the Pentesa and has it completely settled the tum?

AB
xx

I've been on the Pentasa for about 40 days. And, no, it's helped a lot, but now I'm beginning to experience some nightly bouts of having to get up and go and some grumblings and rumblings. This is new to me also. Never had that problem at night until now.

Interesting about the vitamins. I have a dr's appt this week. Will ask about that. Thanks.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Hi.
I've been on pentasa since about july. A few weeks ago I finally quit seeing blood in my bms. But, I'd been sick so long that it took awhile in order to get to this point. I'm noticing that I continually get colds and once one is almost done I come down with another. Have also had a little trouble sleeping, waking up to go pee a few times a night as well. Do have some noisy gas mostly after eating. But, other than these minor things I can say that it's actually working with me (for now).

Very interesting! I haven't had a cold in 20 years, but within the past month (since taking Pentasa), I am always fighting one from coming on (with Vitamin C and other things). Even now I am fighting one off. I thought this was strange....

my son is on pentasa, he is 3 almost 4 and has crohns. He has been on it for about a year. i have found it to work for the most part but he seems to be having a flare up now and is having a hard time sleeping and is very cranky lately. idk if this helps but good luck!!
Hi, i was put on Pentasa for approx 6 months when first diagnosed, i havent had any side effects.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Only thing I can think of is that it's possible our immune systems are down. My stomach has been so bad for so long that my body is still recovering. But, it's something to consider...

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I'm needing to update my doctor on how I'm doing since it's been awhile. She doesn't know yet that I'm no longer bleeding. But, plan on mentioning also about the colds. Might not be a bad idea to update the doctors about not only our crohn's, but also colds or flu viruses just in case. Even if there's not a whole lot they can do, sometimes it's better for them to know before things get out of control.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Sounds good:)

No, I have had no surgeries as of yet. However, I have had quite a few tests. I do feel in this way I have been pretty blessed:)

Have a good night & will talk with you soon. Lisa

Angrybird

I would keep and eye on the nightly grumbles and let your doc know if things start to deteriorate, Pentesa is only used in mild cases of crohn's and most find this isn't strong enough to keep the tum settled,

I would keep and eye on the nightly grumbles and let your doc know if things start to deteriorate, Pentesa is only used in mild cases of crohn's and most find this isn't strong enough to keep the tum settled,
Agreed. When I was first diagnosed I was put on pentasa by an internal meds doc, not a gi. The GI docs said it was a good starter med for me, but I would need more to gain remission. Pentasa has been around forever though, as far as CD meds are concerned, its a pretty safe drug. I know for me, its made my gut a lil bit more noisey! But even with all the other meds, I do feel a difference if i miss a dose of pentasa.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community :)

I'm curious what blood test results your doctor saw that resulted in her not using the stronger medication? Do you know?

I wish you well.

Hi David,

Well, all I know is that it was over 20 different blood tests -- checking for enzymes, white cell count, etc., etc. Also, the surgeon had been in there a month prior and reported back to my doctor....

I saw my doctor this week. She did say, "Let's hope that the Pentasa works. I want to give it four months before switching to anything else." I'm now on the two-month mark, almost beginning the third....