• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New Patient and Hair Loss

Hello, I am a newly diagnosed Crohn's Patient and was on Prednisone and Lialda since December. I am not on Prednisone anymore but am on Lialda and Humira as my treatment. I have noticed recently a lot of hair loss. It is in the shower and on my hair brush, is this common? Do you know any treatments or shampoos or vitamins or anything that may help? I am not noticing thin patches where I didn't have that before.
I thank you so much for your help!

Welcome. The dermatologist that I see had another patient with Crohn's disease who was on Humira who had her hair fall out. You might want to consult with your gi and a dermatologist.

Trysha

Staff member
It might help to take biotin ......I take 2000mg daily and use a biotin shampoo
My hair is growing really well now and the hairdresser said he may have to thin it!,,,,joke as if!!! You may find help by using Google.
It has worked for me and I have read others.
The recommended amount is 5000mg daily but I did not want to take such a high dose...the amount I take is already huge.
although it is water soluble so the excess would be peed out.
Ron has given good advice to seek the proper medical attention and find out the cause.
Feel better soon
Trysha

Here is what helped me. I found that reducing refined sugar and lactose reduced my hair loss and putting peppermint oil and boiled cinnamon and italian herbs into my shampoo seems to be further stopping it, some studies show peppermint is more effective then minoxidil which is a hair loss treatment. After I took a round of antibiotics for bronchitis, amoxicillin-clavulanic acid, I started to lose my hair. Then I developed crohn's a year later, coincidentally antibiotics are linked to IBD now.

The same low sugar approach also helps my crohn's which is weird, it's similar to the specific carbohydrate diet in the book breaking the vicious cycle which is a treatment for IBD, in case you haven't heard of it yet, the diet has existing for decades yet finally been tested scientifically and proven to reduce symptoms.

Since I've seen a strong connection between me taking antibiotics and my health decline, I believe In fecal transplants as a treatment or possible cure to restore missing bacteria which regulate the inflammatory response in the G.I. tract. See the link below for more info!

I agree with the advise given already and would add the following: do give the shampoo and conditioner specific for hair loss a try, it's sold OTC. Tea tree oil is also good at stimulating the follicle. Add vitamins formulated hair and nail nutrition, but read the labels for anything that could aggravate your bowels. I've added collagen after noticing hair loss, I take a multi for women, biotin. Maybe a pre natal vitamin? I know my hair and nails were great back then and they may have less added ingredients that aggravate your bowels. Cut your hair, get the dead ends off.

Hello, I am a newly diagnosed Crohn's Patient and was on Prednisone and Lialda since December. I am not on Prednisone anymore but am on Lialda and Humira as my treatment. I have noticed recently a lot of hair loss. It is in the shower and on my hair brush, is this common? Do you know any treatments or shampoos or vitamins or anything that may help? I am not noticing thin patches where I didn't have that before.
I thank you so much for your help!
I don't know much about the medicines you are on (I'm on remicade), but I too was having a thinning hair problem. The nurse practitioner said it is most likely because my most recent blood tests showed that I am both vitamin b and vitamin d deficient. Have they tested those levels for you? I have noticed since I started taking vitamin b and vitamin d supplements (about 6 weeks ago) that my hair loss seems to have subsided. So maybe the supplements are working or it's just wishful thinking.

Here is what helped me. I found that reducing refined sugar and lactose reduced my hair loss and putting peppermint oil and boiled cinnamon and italian herbs into my shampoo seems to be further stopping it, some studies show peppermint is more effective then minoxidil which is a hair loss treatment. After I took a round of antibiotics for bronchitis, amoxicillin-clavulanic acid, I started to lose my hair. Then I developed crohn's a year later, coincidentally antibiotics are linked to IBD now.

The same low sugar approach also helps my crohn's which is weird, it's similar to the specific carbohydrate diet in the book breaking the vicious cycle which is a treatment for IBD, in case you haven't heard of it yet, the diet has existing for decades yet finally been tested scientifically and proven to reduce symptoms.

Since I've seen a strong connection between me taking antibiotics and my health decline, I believe In fecal transplants as a treatment or possible cure to restore missing bacteria which regulate the inflammatory response in the G.I. tract. See the link below for more info!
SEE!! peppermint oil better then minoxidil for hair growth!!
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

I think a side effect of the Humira is hairloss...I took a biotin supplements in the beginning & also used biotin shampoo & conditioner

From what I've read some people suffer severe hair loss with taking Lialda as well. I take Lialda and have noticed increased hair loss. My hair is super thick so I don't have a noticeable difference but when I shampoo or brush my hair I get at least a handful each time.

Hair loss can be from either protein deficiency or/and different medications.
What is your albumin and pre-albumin/transthyretin levels?

Hair and nails are made of proteins and have a very short turnover rate and even mild protein deficiency can cause some hair loss.