• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First Remi infusion Friday...I'm getting nervous

I know I shouldn't be, after all the posts I've read about it (save for Jettalady). I know this has been covered alot but I really just need encouragement to get up the nerve for this treatment. I've resisted it for years, but now I can't get my symptoms under control and the arthritis is literally crippling me, so I know in my heart it's time. Just trying not to be a baby, but each day I'm getting so much anxiety...:(

Hi Mountaingem,

You are going to be fine. I am actually starting Remicade this week as well (Humira didn't work and although Remicade is also a anti-TNF my doc seems to think it might work better for me). My dad was on Enbrel for psoriasis and arthritis and just started Remicade last week. Other than the boredom (he recommended taking a good book) since the infusion can be a few hours, he said there wasn't anything unpleasant.

The best thing is, the Remicade might help you with both the Crohn's and the arthritis. I am hoping it really works for you and hang in there! :)

It's normal too be nervous with something new

they way I approached having my first lot of remicade (and now vedolizumab) was that I looked at it as possibly getting my life back etc
so I was actually excited in the end to be gettin the drugs rather than worried

Good luck an hope the remicade works for you
keep us posted

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Jeanette I agree with everyone here. The calmer you remain the better. I was a bit anxious because I was my Gi's first patient to try it, and it was nothing like I thought. I took a antinauseant in case but didnt need it after that.

Keep us updated after your Infusion. Goodluck.

Hi Mountaingem,
I have heard Remicade referred to as "liquid gold" by a couple of friends that have taken it, and I have to agree with that assessment. It has enabled me to live a "normal" life for the past few years. I started on Remicade when it was in its trial tests in Canada back around 2000 (I was a guinea pig for it), and have had a lot of success with it. I hope you have just as much success with it as I have had.
Good health and best of luck.

farm

Captain Insaneo
It's good and good for ya ;)
I was a bit nervous/excited about my first one as well. You'll be fine.

Thanks everyone-you guys are the best! I'll definitely keep everyone updated on how it goes-any advice you can give to make thing easier would be great.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I look forward to getting mine...More so than getting my hair done!

....After the first 20 mins you will relax and just get bored....Drink lots of fluids the night before so you are well hydrated. It makes it easier on the nurse to start the IV with nice plump veins!..Good luck Jeannette!

Astra

good luck Jeannette

My gastro is going to discuss me going on it too in April, bit nervous too, cos don't know what to expect. so look forward to hearing all about your experience xx

I think that a few days after the infusion you will wish you'd had it a long time ago. It's the only drug that made me feel like normal again after a couple of days without any long term side effects. You'll do great!

I recomend taking a decent book with you
as it took about two hours or so for my first dose of remicade

unfortunatly didn't work for me but seems lots of ppl hav had great success with it
so hoping you will too

agree with imp drink plenty the nite b4 too make sure ya well hydrated makes the vein hunting much easier

they always gave me a anti hystamine tablet and paracetamol b4 my iv

Mountaingem, I just had my 3rd one last Friday. I was really worried about starting and I put it off for 3 months. Now that I am taking it, I love it. I went to my Dr. appt. yesterday and she said to start tapering off the Entocort and when I go back in May she is talking about dropping the Pentasa,too. I could be back to not taking any oral meds for the CD again.
I am so excited I think I could almost pee myself. I haven't been this excited in a long time.

REMICADE IS COOL!!!!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
I looooooove my Remi infusions!!! I've been on it for 15 months, and I am SO close to feeling normal.
What specifically are you nervous about? Maybe we can calm your fears for you.

:ylol2: Lol Pirate! I guess I'm afraid of being allergic or having some adverse reaction to it. When I took 6MP I had a pretty epic reaction to it, and even though logically I know it isn't even remotely the same drug, I'm still afraid of having that happen again. I've had so much drama with this disease in the past year I can't bear one more thing going wrong.
And of course I've read about the potential side effects,too, but I'm at a point where I just don't care, I need relief, and these stupid flares are completely robbing me of any quality of life. I think because I've stayed in flare for so long I'm also just having alot more anxiety in general. There, I've vented, all done now.:)

Nyx

Crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes for you! Hope all goes well for you tomorrow! I've never been on Remicade so have no words of wisdom for you beyond good luck!

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Big day for you tomorrow!!!! Everything will be just fine. Adverse reactions are rare, they have to put all information of placebo's or double blind studies, some could have symptoms and not even have been on the actual drug. Think positive, and enjoy the ride! Big hugs!

:mademyday: Thanks so much guys-I feel so much better about after all the posts. Thank you for all the good wishes and I'll be sure to update everyone on my experience.

Update on Remi Infusion

Well, everything went pretty well with the infusion. They started the IV really slow at first so if I had any reaction it would be to a very small amount of the Remi. The nurse also gave me two Tylenol and two Benadryl, as well as a bag of saline about 30 minutes before they started the Remi.
When I received the first drip I had a weird sort of panicky feeling and my hands were really warm; the nurse said it's normal, and it passed really fast. It didn"t happen any more after that, I don't know if I just freaked myself out or if it was the meds.:) The nurse also only set the IV in 15 minute increments and took my blood pressure each time she reset the machine. Otherwise it was pretty uneventful and I felt really relaxed, caught up on a few movies with my hubby.
The only side effects I've noticed is dizziness and a little diarrhea, though it's hard for me to say that it's the Remi that caused that lol. Next infusion is in two weeks, I'll keep everyone posted.

So glad you feel so supported!! I'm also glad to be reading this post b/c it makes me feel less alone in being nervous about getting an infusion. I have had a few but had to put all on hold to get a tumor removed and now I will be starting the infusions again tomorrow morning :) Very excited to start feeling better shortly!! Thanks for all the positive words even tho they werent directed to me necessarily, you all are very nice. Much love!

Remicade was a God send for me for over 10 years. It really changed my life for the better. Good luck to all of you who are new to it. I hope it works for you the way it has worked for so many others.

I am starting soon too. I resisted it like crazy a few years ago when I was flaring too. I just figured I would stick with the devil I knew instead of the devil I didnt. Now I am fistulating and close to needing surgery so I figure I'll give it shot. I have terrible luck with drug allergies so I am scared it will kill me. Right now I keep telling myself I will live the drug commercial fantasy. Its the only way to convince myself to do it. lol.

Yeah, I guess I needed to reach a breaking point first, but I kinda regret putting it off now because I'm starting to feel so much better.