• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Interesting incite from a 12 year old

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
We have been trying to prepare our younger 2 children about my upcoming surgery. They are 12 and 9. We have explained about the bag, nothing to graphic; just don’t want them to be in total shock.

This morning my 12 year old comes up to me with the orange container in her hand. This is one of those that looks like a milk carton, but has the round screw on top to one side. She tells me “Dad why can’t they put something like this in you and you wouldn’t have to have that bag”. I had her explain what she meant. Her ideas was put a container on the inside and open the cap to drain it when I needed to. I explained that they never had anything like that. I thought it was a cool idea though. She has said for a few years she wants to be a doctor who knows maybe she’ll come up with something like this in the future.

That's brilliant - what an amazing way for a 12 year old to think about it. She should definitely become a doctor, I hope she never loses her imagination and ingenuity!

Terriernut

They have the J pouch for people with UC...I wish your daughter would invent something like that for us! I'm all for it!

Then again, you spoke about the 'bionic bottom'...I want one of those!!! :biggrin:

What she is describing is a Koch pouch. It isn't done very often anymore because of failure rate, but it does exist. It is a pouch that is internal about midabdomen and you insert a tube somewhat similar to a urostomy to drain it when it is full of waste.

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
What she is describing is a Koch pouch. It isn't done very often anymore because of failure rate, but it does exist. It is a pouch that is internal about midabdomen and you insert a tube somewhat similar to a urostomy to drain it when it is full of waste.
I thought of the Koch pouch when she told me that also. I'll have to ask her if she has been looking any of this stuff up.

I thought of the Koch pouch when she told me that also. I'll have to ask her if she has been looking any of this stuff up.
Even if she did, she is brilliant to bring it up to you! I certainly didn't mean to squealch her wonderful idea.

It also made me think of when my husband asked my doctor to install a zipper to save everybody time. haha!

Yep. I knew squelch was correct after I had already posted it, but I do enjoy Misty's interpretation of squealch. Hahaha!!

annawato

Staff member
Yes I did too. The whole conversation gave me a good laugh, particularly your husbands suggestion about a zipper.

And Dukeis I think your daughters thinking is brilliant!

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
I picked my daughter up from school yesterday and it was just me and her in the car (rarely happens). I asked about her idea and if she was reading anything surgery for Crohn's. She said she wasn't and had no interest in surgery. She said it would be gross to cut someone open. I said I thought you said you wanted to be a doctor and I told her even in school they cut people who have died open to learn. She said I know that Dad, like she thought I was dumb. She told me she could do that to get through school. Then she tells me she would like to do research to find cures for diseases. Wow I love that girl and hope she follows her dreams.

She sounds fab. My daughter is studying medicine and I am sure she thinks of me as her project! She is handy though, when I need advice xxx

I love it! My daughter is interested in medical science from a research perspective but said the same thing about operating on people. I explained she didn't have to touch a person to work in a lab and she was vastly relieved. :)

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
She sounds fab. My daughter is studying medicine and I am sure she thinks of me as her project! She is handy though, when I need advice xxx
I bet that does come in handy when you have questions. My wife is a Registered Nurse and I get really great nursing care when I need it. I don't have to worry about anyone coming to do any dressing change or anything like that after surgery and I know the person doing it really cares.

annawato

Staff member
Exactly! If I pick up food thats not healthy I get THAT look, If I don't go for a walk I get that THAT look and now she is talking about working out a whole programme for me.
I'm only 10 weeks post op - surely I don't have to exercise quite yet..................????
But don't worry I won't turn into an exercise Nazi for all of you. :)

Referring back to earlier in the thread, after four open surgeries where they kept cutting down the same line, I asked my surgeon why they couldn't just sew in velcro strips from sternum to the pubic bone. It would be so easy to open and close!

Dukeis

Dynastic Overlord
Referring back to earlier in the thread, after four open surgeries where they kept cutting down the same line, I asked my surgeon why they couldn't just sew in velcro strips from sternum to the pubic bone. It would be so easy to open and close!
My Dad had 4 open heart surgeries before he passed away. I remember him telling the surgeon before the 3rd one that he wanted a zipper installed because he was tired of his chest being cut open.

Hmm, the Velcro, not sure I could take that sound of it ripping open. As for the zipper I just keep seeing that scene from 'something about Mary' and wondering what some of those surgeons would manage to catch in the zip.

Here's a novel idea, go with the zip up the centre, with the milk carton stored internally so we could reach in to empty it when needed!

Maybe the bionic butt would be a better idea!