• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

"Pilot Testing a Novel Treatment for Inflammatory Bowel Disease" The Specific Carboyhydrate Diet Study

This study was performed in 2011, so there's probably already a thread here on it somewhere, but I haven't run across it, so I thought I'd post it. ,

A study was performed at the University of Mass. Medical Center in 2011, in which 11 patients with Crohns and UC were treated with an SCD "like" diet for 6-10 months. 100% showed improvement, and in fact, 9 out of 11 were able to manage their symptoms without any TNF therapy! The study is a pilot test, and further clinical trials are planned.

Here's a link to the test results: http://escholarship.umassmed.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1025&context=cts_retreat

The diet used was a SCD "like" diet, and the only difference I could discern was the inclusion of lots of probiotic foods, such as aged cheese, dark chocolate, fermented cabbage, miso soup, pickles, yogurt, and my personal favorite --kefir!

So next time someone tries claiming that there is no actual evidence that diet has any effect? There sure is.

These results are far better than the results of those drugs that will cost you thousands a month, and carry the risk of dangerous (potential deadly) side effects.

Last edited by a moderator:

KWalker

Unfortunately there will always be skeptics but they're the ones missing out. At the end of the day I know it has significantly helped me and I have remained med-free. Others don't have that success, depending on severity and also many people don't stick to it and then blame the diet because it didn't work.

I'm on my phone currently at school but when I get home I want to have a look at the study. Does it say what % of dark chocolate they had? I've been wanting to add dark chocolate but didn't know if the 70% would be okay or if I had to go right to the 99%

I'll keep an eye on this thread and make sure it remains civil and people don't get out of hand. Thanks for posting this!

I haven't been able to find all the details of the diet yet, but the articles I have found and read, have only stated that the only modification made to the traditional SCD diet were the inclusion of fermented, probiotic rich foods. So I can't answer your question about the dark chocolate.

The 99% dark chocolate products are extremely bitter. It's an acquired taste. However there are dark chocolate bars that are sweetened only with honey, which most health food stores do carry. I would check the ingredients first and make sure that whatever you buy only contains single molecule carbs.

The link I posted provides the details of the participants, including their individual diagnoses and history. Of course, it was a pilot study with a sample size of 11, so it's certainly not conclusive, but the initial results are rather impressive.

I think most people here realize that regardless, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for all. For some, it may not even be an option.

At minimum though, the results provide at least somewhat more than "Antidotal" evidence of the effect diet may have.

I presented this study to my GI a couple of years ago when I was trying to get him to prescribe LDN for me. We decided not to go that route. Anywayyyyy, he said diet makes no difference, the usual.

Anywayyyy again, I did see regarding SCD changes is the same as Ya Noy's in that they just added lots of probiotic supplementation.

I agree that SCD gets a bad rap because people "cheat" on it and unfortunately you can't do it that way and get optimum results. I wish you could! I'd be a-cheatin.

KWalker

Lol I'd do anything just to have one Big Mac, a chocolate bar, ice cream, you name it. Even just once. To me its worth it though to leave those out.

Ya noy- I had no idea you could find chocolate bars sweetened with just honey. I have to look into that. I have some cocoa powder at home, I wonder what would happen if I mixed it with honey and tried to make some sort of brownies.

Also, as far as studies go, it all depends how you look at it. I prefer qualitative studies over quantitative studies. Some think the opposite. Also when looking at side effects of medicine, those listed are there because atleast one participant experienced that during the initial studies. So when Remicade has death listed as a potential side effect, somebody has died while taken that during the trial period. I'm not saying to avoid medicine like that if needed, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

I made some pretty incredible chocolate truffles that taste like breyer's chocolate ice cream. The only SCD questionable ingredient is cocoa powder. I am thinking of letting E have a few on Val. Day.

Kwalker, to me it boils down to my favorite Clint Eastwood quote from Magnum Force, "A man's got to know his limitations." Everything and everyone has limits, and diet is no exception.

I'd be a liar if I said I never had cravings, and yes, I've given into the occasional Big Mac, but not until after my symptoms were under control, and not that often. My health problems were different. I suffered from allergies that actually were life threatening, and which meds. failed to control. If I could have just taken a pill everyday, that would have been great! I went to allergists for years, was prescribed every pill on the market, and the only one that actually worked was Benadryl, but that rendered me incapable of functioning, and I couldn't sleep my entire life away.

To be honest, diet alone wasn't enough for me. I exercise like a demon to strengthen my heart and immune system. Extreme aerobics, where the music is played at double speed, hot yoga, etc. Of course I didn't have that kind of energy in the beginning. Took the better part of a year to build it.

I've never looked into SCD legal brownie recipes, but I've eaten the dark chocolate bars sweetened with honey. I'm not going to say they're the best substitute ever, but they do help satisfy the craving for chocolate.

I'm not really as hopefully for this study as most of you in this thread :p For a start it's only 11 people, and of those 11 people all of them were still on one or more medications, so while their crohns may have got better they're still running risks with the meds. Obviously crohns isn't at the point where people can manage with no medication at all, but I feel like research should be looking towards curing crohns completely (most likely through medicine and not diet) rather than helping somewhat.

I feel like putting "improvement in 100%" was put in the title to ruffle feathers. Because people do try this and it doesn't work for them. It really is that simple. When more studies come in and continue to show improvement for all and diets that could get people off medicine I'll be glad to stick to that diet forever, but for now it's just one study and lots of people saying it does or doesn't work.

Because people do try this and it doesn't work for them. It really is that simple. .
I agree. I hope my comments didn't imply I thought otherwise. I was referring to the vast majority of people I see online talking about it not working then going on to say they were doing their own "version" of it then rattling off illegal ingredients they were eating regularly. I was just reading a blog yesterday saying this very thing and now the poor lady is facing surgery, thinking SCD didn't "work."

Would I take a pill if it worked and not bother with diet? Heck yeah! :biggrin:

Oh yeah sure, there's people that don't do it properly and expect it to still work, but there's obviously a reason why there :p But those who do follow these diets, whether it be paleo/SCD/Juicing or whatever and still don't get better shouldn't be called wrong like they often are.

KWalker

I completely agree as well. Like others said though, unfortunately people think its okay to cheat once in awhile and then complain the diet doesn't work. Of course there are people who stick to the diet and don't have success unfortunately, but there are also a large number of people who don't give it 100% and then blame the diet for failure

Oh yeah sure, there's people that don't do it properly and expect it to still work, but there's obviously a reason why there :p But those who do follow these diets, whether it be paleo/SCD/Juicing or whatever and still don't get better shouldn't be called wrong like they often are.
Price,

I honestly didn't intend to ruffle any feathers with the 2nd sentence of that title, I was just trying to fit the "executive summary" into the limited title space provided. I'm sorry if it came across the wrong way.

Large results in small groups are more significant than small results in large groups.
If you have a therapy which makes a big difference it will show in a small trial. If your trial needs 100,000 people to show a minor benefit, the benefit for an isolated individual will clearly be pretty well undetectable.

The results from the study were that 100% of participants had some improvement, no one had 100% improvement.
I listened to an interview with one of the authors and the diet was loosely based on SCD, gluten free grains were allowed – oats and white rice were allowed for example (don't know how much).
http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/02/umass-ibd-diet-study-sees-success/
So I would assume the diet they used was:-
a/ easier to follow
b/ less effective than it could have been .

Last edited:
Nice dietary study to see. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea if this thread was stickied at the top, in my opinion. I think often when looking into these dietary and nutrient supplement ideas there is concern over your return in investment. It takes a change of lifestyle to follow one of the diets. To make the effort, one wants to have an idea of what possible results to expect. Additionally, dietary changes can also effect those around you, family and friends. The study could be something to point to, giving additional reasons why you are trying the diet.

Sadly, physicians often know little about dietary ideas. Typically they receive scant training about nutrition through their years of medical school. And once out of school, have a busy schedule that does not leave time for learning about dietary ideas. As a result doctors are less likely to point out possible helpful dietary information such as this to patients.

Sticking this topic at the top of this forum would be a terrible idea because of the heavy bias :p While these diets work for some they don't work for all, so a topic saying that SCD will improve your crohns with no doubt would only frustrate the ones it doesn't work for :p

Not sure what your reasoning is but the idea that this shouldn't be stickied because it doesn't work for everyone doesn't make much sense when there is no one med that works for everyone either. If it is stickied in the diet, supplement section, possibly under a new thread of studies done on diets...how would that be any different than the studies stickied in the Treatments-Remicade forum, it doesn't work for everybody either.

KWalker

If you guys would like, I could sticky the thread. The plans for an SCD/Paleo/Advanced diet section kind of lost interest I guess. I would still love to see it happen, especially with the growing number of interest.

David what are your thoughts so we could even sticky this thread at the top of the SCD section if it is not wanted in the diet section?

I think it would be great if you had a thread with a link to this and other diet/supplement studies that members come across. There is already one in the Parents sections for reviews/treatments/studies. Check it out.

That way, it could be seen by anyone that was interested in the diet section and if you were to come across more studies say on Paleo, Gaps, Curcumin, fish oil...any diet or supplement you could post links to the studies in that thread. Just an idea.

Because the title and the study says it has a 100% rate of improving your crohns when it doesn't?

None of the other stickies claim to work 100% of the time, so while this study would be useful in another sticky (such as a footer in the diets/supplements one we already have) it'd be silly to have it as a standalone sticky.

Because the title and the study says it has a 100% rate of improving your crohns when it doesn't?
The results from the study were that 100% of participants had some improvement, no one had 100% improvement so the title is accurate but confusing.

I don't see it is sticky material but a link in the SCD wiki makes sense

The title is written by the member not the authors of the study...that is easy to correct if it needs to be, a moderator like kwalker can just change it to the study's true title but I would like to see it along with any other diet/supplement studies, reviews, etc members come across in one stickied thread, I love having access to all the info in one place like that!

KWalker

Ya noy, I hope you don't mind but I've changed the title to the title of the study. I think this way will give an unbiased post of the the study, as well as intrigue other members to have a look at the study.

Last edited:
I listened to an interview with one of the authors and the diet was loosely based on SCD, gluten free grains were allowed – oats and white rice were allowed for example (don't know how much).
Did you hear that? It was the sound of my ears pricking up! Based on this I just may try adding in either oats or rice bit by bit once my symptoms settle down.

KWalker

lol rice? I love rice! If the time ever came for me to add rice I would do so in a heart beat. That is way down the road though for me

Did you hear that? It was the sound of my ears pricking up! Based on this I just may try adding in either oats or rice bit by bit once my symptoms settle down.
the link is in my post

I find rice (white) fine but oats make me squirt and bubble:ybiggrin:
just keep in mind you are no longer doing SCD if you add rice, so maybe you want to read up on PHD (perfect health diet)

the link is in my post

I find rice (white) fine but oats make me squirt and bubble:ybiggrin:
just keep in mind you are no longer doing SCD if you add rice, so maybe you want to read up on PHD (perfect health diet)
LOL, I like that description.

Yah, I know, re: SCD. It won't be for months before I do try either so we'll see how much I'm willing to chance the return of the squirts and bubbles by then. :D

Happen to know what "like" SDC diet they used? They mention a cookbook and classes - I would love to know more what specifically they had them eating.

Interesting read, thanks

None of the other stickies claim to work 100% of the time, so while this study would be useful in another sticky (such as a footer in the diets/supplements one we already have) it'd be silly to have it as a standalone sticky.
Price,

When I wrote, "Improvement in 100%", by that I only meant that 100% of the participants showed improvement. I honestly and truly did not intend to be misleading or offensive.

If I had realized how it might be perceived, I would have worded it differently. Upon reflection, I realize my error, and you are absolutely right. It was thoughtless, and I feel awful. I am so sorry.

I promise I will do my best to be more considerate in the future.

Please forgive me?

Ya noy, I hope you don't mind but I've changed the title to the title of the study. I think this way will give an unbiased post of the the study, as well as intrigue other members to have a look at the study.
I am very appreciative and don't mind at all.

Reading price's posts made me realize that if someone had told me that my husband's 3rd degree chemical burns could be cured with a little aloe Vera, I would have been beyond livid. His posts served as a wake up call, that I was in desperate need of.

Thank you

kiny

The /study/ starts off saying "complex carbohydrates such as refined sugar"

My first language isn't English but refined sugar to me means sucrose, which is a simple carbohydrate, not a complex. I did not grow up with these terms but it doesn't sound right to me.

Where is the whole study indexed? I can't find it, it's just one page to me.

Last edited:
The /study/ starts off saying "complex carbohydrates such as refined sugar"

My first language isn't English but refined sugar to me means sucrose, which is a simple carbohydrate, not a complex. I did not grow up with these terms but it doesn't sound right to me.

Where is the whole study indexed? I can't find it, it's just one page to me.
I haven't been able to find the whole study. It could because it was a pilot study, so it may not be posted on the internet. Also, in one of the articles I read on an interview with the researchers, it was stated that the SCD diet was modified for each participant taking their individual needs and food sensitivities into account.

There are some recipes used for this diet posted on the Umass Medical School website, but only a couple. See link: http://www.umassmed.edu/Content.aspx?id=148562

I believe that when they are talking about simple carbohydrates, they are referring to single molecule or monosaccharides, such as glucose or fructose.

Sucrose, also known as cane or table sugar, is a disaccharide, which is a complex carbohydrate as it is a combination of 2 sugars, glucose and fructose, which combine to form an entirely new molecule, sucrose.

Honey cotains of both glucose and fructose, but they do not combine in honey to form sucrose, but remain separate monosaccharides, or simple carbohydrates.

This is why honey is legal on the SCD diet, while sucrose, or table sugar, is not.

Last edited:
I haven't seen the whole study posted anywhere, just that one-page plus this...
http://works.bepress.com/barbara_olendzki/46/
this doesn't add much, it's a small study, from her interview everybody was assessed and each diet may have been adjusted to the individual. she stresses that it's not a one-size-fits-all.
The bottom line - everybody improved, it's not a cure

kiny

Sucrose, also known as cane or table sugar, is a disaccharide, which is a complex carbohydrate
It's incorrect.

Monosaccharides and disaccharides are simple carbs, polysaccharides are complex.

Sucrose (refined sugar) is a simple carb, which the study got wrong right from the start. Since their whole study is based on this I think it's pretty important to know which carbs are simple and which complex.

I think it's not just semantics because in most cases this wouldn't matter, but this is how Elaine Gottshal uses these terms.

In fact, as I have the book since someone gave it to me, I can say she uses honey in many recipes of her, honey contains sucrose, which this study says they're eliminating.

It's a bit of nitpicking but it does show that the SCD itself bends the rules, she talks about disaccharides as potentially negatively influencing the gut lining but then she goes on and talks about how you can basically pour honey over everything, and she recognises that honey has disaccharides but she goes on to say it doesn't matter because it's not a lot, etc.

Last edited:
It's incorrect.

Monosaccharides and disaccharides are simple carbs, polysaccharides are complex.

Sucrose (refined sugar) is a simple carb, which the study got wrong right from the start. Since their whole study is based on this I think it's pretty important to know which carbs are simple and which complex.
yup, i've been caught on this one before,
i've seen table sugar referred to as a polysaccharide in a few places but only meaning that it wasn't a mono (refering to sugars as either mono or not -simple or complex. Wrong, yes but easy to understand what they were trying to say)
Technically di-saccharides are simple carbs, but the real point could be lost....
eliminating HFCS and sugar will dramatically cut down total sugar consumption and that's where the benefit lies.
Eating large amounts of honey will probably feed a SIBO as much as Table sugar. (except honey has anti-microbial properties.)

Honey contains about 10% sucrose, the rest being free glucose and fructose

It's incorrect.

Monosaccharides and disaccharide are simple carbs, polysaccharides are complex.

Sucrose (refined sugar) is a simple carb, which the study got wrong right from the start.
You're actually correct, however the diet used in the study was based on the SCD diet, in which monosaccharides are legal, while disaccharides and poly saccharides, are not.

The rationale for this is explained here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/specific-carbohydrate-diet.html

For the purpose of the SCD diet, some of the terminology used may not necessarily conform with current scientific classifications. The principles of the SCD diet were originally developed by Dr. Sydney Haas, who was born in 1870, and historically, simple and complex carbohydrates have been defined and classified in different ways, for different purposes.

For example, in 1977, complex carbohydrates were defined as "fruits, vegetables and whole grains" for the purpose of the US Senate Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs. See classification section at this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbohydrate

The English language in general is not known for its logic.

Last edited: