• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Salofalk and Pentasa

Hello, crohnies. I wanted to ask you if salofalk only or pentasa only is effective treatment to relief your symptoms, or you should combine with something else?

My understanding is that these are maintenance drugs that probably won't provide relief from symptoms but rather keep you feeling well when you are no longer flaring. I had a flare last winter and was put on prednisone, then began Pentasa as I weaned off of it. I now take Pentasa and follow a very strict diet (close to the specific carbohydrate diet) and am doing well.

My understanding is that these are maintenance drugs that probably won't provide relief from symptoms but rather keep you feeling well when you are no longer flaring. I had a flare last winter and was put on prednisone, then began Pentasa as I weaned off of it. I now take Pentasa and follow a very strict diet (close to the specific carbohydrate diet) and am doing well.
I agree, I was always told these are maintenance drugs to keep inflammation down. I take Colazal everyday which is in the same family of drugs. I did not feel immediate relief when starting them, I had to be on Entocort at the same time to stop a flare.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
I was prescribed both pentasa and canasa, as seen below. As has been said above, I use both when in a flare. But, at the moment I'm not in need for the canasa because I'm not flaring. But, I do still have it prescribed for when it is needed. However, the pentasa is my maintenance drug...