• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

In my head? Seriously?

I'm having a really difficult time right now. Not necessarily all physical, but it feels like a lot of stuff is just out of my control right now.

I've been having lots of diarrhea, abdominal pain, nausea, feeling full, and some vomiting. i had a colonoscopy the other day and they say that my Crohn's is in remission, except for an ulcer at my anastomosis site.

I'm so happy that they say it is in remission, but I know that something is still not right. I had a CT scan, blood work, and an MRI this week to check for pancreatitis. They thought they found a mass on my liver, but turns out on an MRI that it is just fatty liver and there was a shadow that just lookedl ike a mass.

My mother in law was asking me how all my testing went and I told her, she said that it sounds like i need a psychiatrist!!! Seriously? My biggest fear is someone telling me that its all in my head. From a young age, my granmother always told me I was faking and it was all in my head. When I first got really sick, doctors always told me it was in my head and nothing was wrong. So for now, someone to say that to me just really ticks me off.
She went on to say that maybe I just internalize my stress and this is how it plays out? I'm not really stressed out right now. I just want someone to tell me what the heck is going on.

Sorry for the vent, but someone telling me that it is mental really irritates and upsets me.

I'm so sorry. I wish I had something good to say to help, but just know I feel for you! I hope everything gets better soon!

SarahBear

I'm sorry! I know how you feel about the, "It's in your head," nonsense. My mother never believed me about my stomach - so she would take me to the doctor, but she made it obvious to them that she didn't believe me, so of course they didn't either. They said I was faking it to get out of going to school, or it was just menstrual cramps or anxiety. Nobody took me seriously until I was sixteen, and talking to the doctors by myself.

I'm really afraid a doctor one day is going to tell me I don't have Crohn's. I would rather have a disease with no cure than everyone once again thinking it's in my head. I'm really sorry you're facing that, even after going through it all once to get your diagnosis.

Hopefully things will get figured out and taken care of soon and you can start enjoying your remission! :hug: Until then, don't pay any attention to her - or anyone else who says that nonsense!

What a...

*censors self*

moron.

I'm so sorry someone said that to you. What a terrible thing to say.

*hugs*
Amen! People (aka morons) still amaze me. You are the best judge of your body and when something is going on, so don't let the morons of this world make you doubt yourself. Did you tell the doctor that you are feeling these symptoms despite what the tests are saying?

HUGS!!!!

CLynn- Yes, I have told him, and he is doing some testing to try and figure out what is going on, but everything keeps coming back okay? I'm suppose to do a stool test to rule out C-diff next. On the MRI the other day it showed that I have some fatty liver and a cyst on my spleen, but I don't think either of those will cause what is going on with me!

Thank you David! I was seriously pissed that she had told me that. This woman has seen me struggle the last 13 years, and to tell me that I need a doctor to help me deal with my stress and I'll be all better? yeah right! I was telling my parents the other day about waht she had said and my dad was livid. He told me not to listen to it, because he knows that is a huge fear of mine and is afraid I won't seek help because of it.

I get that stress can play a role, but honestly, I know that something is not right and it is not due to "stress"

Thanks David! I would never yell! I appreciate the link. Can you get choline in a supplement form? I mean other than diet? I eat pretty healthy, although I don't eat some of the things on the list that is on the wiki page.

David

Co-Founder
Yes you can, but I wouldn't take it without first talking with your doctor or dietician. But print out some data about choline and fatty liver to take with you as they might not be familiar with it.

Sorry to interrupt your venting, carry on! :)

Hi Manzyb,

i cant believe someone would say that to you, especially with all that you have had to deal with in the past.

I think people say things like that because they have no idea what you have to deal with and nothing positive to say, so they use lame quips like 'you sure its not in your head' what a kop out!

I say stick with it if you dont feel right trust your instinct.

Positive thoughts now - at least they are ruling serious things out with the tests.

Good luck, and take care

DustyKat

Super Moderator
OMFG! I hate that! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. The amount of times I hear that at work! We can't find anything so there is nothing wrong...read must be in their head! UGH! Haha, my rant over now!

Oh Amanda that sucks hun. :( And no doubt delicate territory when MIL has verbalised it! :eek2: Why couldn't she give you a hug instead! I will then...:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

We surely don't think it's in your head hun! I say let her walk a day in your shoes and then say it!

Sending you loads of love and well wishes and my faith in you. :Karl:

Dusty. xxx

thanks Dusty! It took everything I had not to let her have it!! I think she could tell I was pissed though because she kind of laughed after she said it, and then tried to explain all of that crap about stress and what not.

omg. whatever! i'm still trying to figure it out! Will hopefully get my stool test results back soon and get some answers.

and you know, it's not like I want to freaking be sick!! I am trying my damnedest to keep it all going right now. It's not like I lay here day after day and not try to change things for myself.

She said maybe if I just tell myself I feel better, I will. LOL

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Wow! The power of positive thought! :lol:

If only it were that simple. :(

Good luck with the results. Here's hoping for solid answers and solid poop!

Loads of love to you and Sadie bear, :heart::kiss::heart::kiss::heart:
Dusty. xxx

Oh jeez. So says someone whose worst experience (I am guessing here) with illness is being in bed for a week with the flu. These people have no idea what it is like to live day in, day out with a chronic illness.

You are quite right when you say you know something is up- you are the best judge of that and if you say so, it is so!

Maybe hubby could have a word with her on your behalf and tell her how upset you were.

I am going through basically the same thing! I just posted about it too. I'm so sorry that this is happening to you, but I also wanted to thank you for sharing your story. What I needed most right now is to hear someone else going thought the same feeling of hopelessness from being treated as if you are making it all up. Seriously? Like we want to do another test just for fun??? I really know how you feel hon.

For me, I almost wish they would just find something bad rather than tell me I am crazy. I feel terrible either way! At least if they find something they can treat it (and treat me with a little more respect).

Chronic illness sucks because people are sympathetic for a while, but then they get sick of having to deal with it and just want you to hurry up and get better already. As if we don't want the same thing for ourselves! I hope things get better or you soon. Thinking good thoughts for you.

I went though a similar situation with my daughter when she
first got sick they thought I was going crazy for going back
every few days when they could'nt find nothing wrong. One doctor
told me to go see him by myself so that he could teach me to
release my anxiety by SCREAMING in bed at night .mind you i
refused to see that doctor again.

I hope you start feeling better soon
Take care

Last edited:
Thank you guys! I was feeling like I was overreacting a little bit. I feel a bit guilty being so annoyed with her, she has helped me out so much with the baby since I've had her, and through my surgery, but sometimes I just get so aggrevated!! I feel like telling me things like that, or the other one "you should start thinking that you feel better, and then you will!" makes me feel like she's belittling what's going on right now.

I know it seems like a never-ending thing with me, but I'd rather you just not ask me how I'm doing, so I don't have to tell you the truth!! I think I'll just start telling her I'm doing fab and don't bother asking anymore lol

I totally understand why you get irritated with your MIL. Just because she helps you out doesn't mean she can't make insensitive comments. I hope they find something that is treatable, and please rmemeber, just because they don't find anything, you're sitll having your symptoms. Functional GI disorders like IBS can't be seen on a scan or scope or in blood or stool, but they are still real.

How recently have you had your surgery? It could be adhesions causing you pain. I know of two people recently who have had all the same tests you have had, all indicating no active Crohn's Disease, and they were given some IBS medication and something to help with adhesions. Apparently adhesion pains can mimic IBD pain. They are doing pretty well now.

I deffinately understand your frustration! Before seeing a Gastroenterologist, my pediatrician made me see a psychologist at the age of 13/14 to rule out anything 'psychological' of course there was nothing wrong with me mentally & that just delayed my DX thus leading to untreated disease. You aren't crazy! You have Crohn's and you have to remember, you'lll probably never feel normal again. You've had serious damage done to your GI tract that could never be repaired, even with medication. It could be that all the damage has just left some lousy bits of intestine that now have more nerve receptors to pain. Think of it like strictures caused by scar tissue. I could have a stricture, and not be flaring, but chances are, if I eat corn on the cob and a steak, I'm going to feel the wrath.

Sometimes I tell myself the exact opposite. I'm crazy to be flaring this long with no treatment working yet my tests say I'm still flaring. :/

Sorry you have to deal with people who don't understand! I hope some more tests will show what's ailing you.

'All in your head", "just the flu", "something you ate"--anyone who says this to you is an idiot,plain and simple. I have had this disease for more than 40 years and have heard every stupid comment in the book. You know your own body and know when something is wrong. Persist and get yourself a compassionate GI who is affiliated with a teaching hospital-don't stop until you get the answers-they are out there.A good doctor is half the battle, seriously!

all in your head....yeah right.Also have heard-it's just a bug going round,it's something yu ate, everyone else is sick too, you always get sick when your mother leaves town.....I've heard every one of these and what you have to do is drag yourself up to a standing position and yell BULL*****.Show them the surgery scars, drag them into the bathroom with you--do not put up with this garbage.You are not a victim.