• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fructose

fructose

you know the way people say sugar is bad...in a lot of the health foods u see it hs fructose instead of sugar...is fructose ok or should it be avoided??

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
I currently avoid fructose also. This is of most benefit when it involves avoiding foods with high-fructose corn syrup, however I also don't eat fruit (but I do eat plenty of veggies).

I don't think fruit is as bad as ingesting fructose from table sugar or high-fructose corn syrup, but the fruit we eat these days is not the same as the fruit our ancestors ate.

Fruit has been bred to be sweeter (higher fructose content) than it was naturally many years ago and fruit is now available all year round. Most parts of the world would only have had access to local fruit during some seasons, making fruit/fructose consumption a more rare treat.

I believe (might be wrong though) that the specific carbohydrate diet has no limit on the amount fruit you eat, which probably suggests that overall the impact of fructose is not seen in the mainstream/alternative communities as having a negative impact on those with IBD as much as other substances.

you know the way people say sugar is bad...in a lot of the health foods u see it hs fructose instead of sugar...is fructose ok or should it be avoided??
Pretty much the same thing.

Perhaps not as bad as refined sugar, but not so great either.

Especially as the fructose used is normally something artificial and not something from nature (i.e.) high-fructose corn syrup is terrible stuff, so are other artificial sweeteners.

But these two products are often used in “health” foods and in low fat diet yogurts as a replacement for refined sugar. When in reality they are just as bad, if not worse.

Instead of refined sugar and artificial fructose, I use organic date paste to sweeten things. Very easy to make at home from dates. Take the stones out and gently boil the dates in a little water or freshly squeezed orange juice. As the dates break down they turn into a mushy paste. You can then use this in cakes or a sweetener in coffee. Make sure you use pesticide-free dates.

Sugar feeds diseases, so I try to or limit it where possible.

Hello,

Is it ok to replace rafinned sugar by 100 % pure cane sugar.

About fructose, if we would to avoid it, we need to stop eating fruits ???

my bad... :\

Cane sugar is refined sugar,
It is called sucrose
Cane Sugar is composed of 50% glucose, 50% fructose
HFCS,(or corn sugar) is (from memory) is composed of 55%fructose, 45% glucose
Sucrose is a disaccharide[2] (a carbohydrate composed of two monosacarides[1] - see below)

Many sugars can be hard to digest and cause both a blowout of harmful bacteria and painful symptoms (gas ,bloating, cramps)
Fructose should be limited and only taken with the fibre that it comes with (the whole fruit).

The FODMAPS[3] diet is a good way to identify what sugars you have problems with. All likely problem foods are restricted and reintroduced to see if they are problematic,

Many diets that work for crohns severely limit all sugars except for glucose, and limit fructose to just fruit[4]

[1] monosaccarides - the most basic types of sugar and the common base units for all carbohydrates
-glucose,
-fructose,
-galactose

glucose can be directly used by the body, other monosaccharides need to be converted by digestive processed into glucose

[2] disaccharide - two monosaccharides joined to form a 'complex' carbohydrate.
An enzyme is required to split the bond
-Sucrose (sugar) - requires sucrase to digest
-Lactose (milk) - requires lactase to digest
-Maltase (malt sugar) - requires maltase

polysaccharides - more than two monosaccharides joined to form a 'complex' carbohydrate
An enzyme is required to split the bond
- Oligosaccharides
- Polysaccharides
- Maltase (malt sugar) - requires maltase

[3] goods podcast explaining the fodmaps diet
Dr. Siebecker Explains the Art and Science of the FODMAP Diet
http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/09/dr-...rt-and-science-of-the-fodmap-diet-podcast-45/

[4] SCD, GAPS, Paleo
"The food you eat can be either the safest and most powerful form of medicine or the slowest form of poison".
SCD, GAPS, & Paleo - What Do These Mean?
http://www.healthcentral.com/ibd/c/2623/156843/scd-gaps-paleo/
Comparison of 3 Healing Diets
http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/01/18/comparison-of-3-healing-diets/

Thanks a lot :)

So, if it's bad to use can sugar, is there an other sugar non refined to use on my tea ?
Ideally, less (or no) sugar,

you can buy pure glucose (about 80% as sweet as sucrose), give it a try but undigested sugar is used as food by the 'harmful' bacteria running amok in your intestines