• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone have an idea what this is i have been diagnosed with...

Colonoscopy yesterday, and was told I had Proctitis. Biopsies of ileum and inflamed rectum were taken. Anyway I have spoken to my Dr and got a little bit of info about proctitis, and the general feeling from him was that it is a form of ulcerative colitis limited to the rectum. But might/might not spread further up.

Obviously i am yet to have results back, but i have been tested for shigella, salmonella and campylobacter and was negative.

It's a new diagnosis for me so im a little anxious about it

(originally posted this in crohns forum but feel i may get more people who have experienced it in this thread)

Lady Organic

Staff member
yes proctitis is the term for chronic inflammation of the rectum. IN IBD, evolution and spreading is always unknown for the future, no prediction can be made. It is therefore important to maintain surveillance fallow up with your GI and control the inflammation. Do you have a treatment?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
What Lady Organic says is true. I originally was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and then was given a more direct diagnosis of Ulcerative Proctitis.

Because the inflammation is mostly in my rectum, I need to be careful to keep a watch on things. Not necessarily that it will absolutely spread to my female parts. But, it's always a possibility.

What medications have you been put on? I imagine that your treatment should be pretty close to mine. If you need someone to talk to, I'm here. Just let me know. In the meantime, here's some info I'm hoping might answer some of your questions at the moment.

http://www.badgut.org/information-centre/a-z-digestive-topics/ulcerative-proctitis

http://umm.edu/health/medical/altmed/condition/proctitis

Last edited:
Thanks so much both. At the moment Im awaiting my biopsy results to determine cause and GI didnt actually give me any medication but colonoscopy report says soon as I get any mucus in stools, or blood mixed with mucus etc I am to be put on something called "5ASA Suppositories" - Which is why i am slightly confused as my regular Dr says that 5ASA is used in ulcerative colitis and ulcerative proctitis when it is mild or moderate, so for him to want me prescribed them should i flare, indicates that the GI believes I have ulcerative proctitis. But he simply said "proctitis" on my report

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Mucus and blood are very common with UP. Blood is the main thing that I keep a watch on. A main sign of a flare for me is blood in the stool/diarrhea and even dripping blood from the back end. Mucus isn't as much of a problem as when I see blood.

One of the examples of a 5ASA Suppository is my Canasa. This kind reminds me of a bullet and slips in easier with a little bit of KY lube. Eventually you might need an oral version as well. But, I'd wait to talk to your doctor about that.

I think the best thing that would help you for info is to look at our wiki section. It too has some good info in there. I'm sorry if I'm overwhelming you. The best thing I've done for me is read up on how to best take care of myself with what I've got.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Suppositories

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=23219

Last edited:
Mucus and blood are very common with UP. Blood is the main thing that I keep a watch on. A main sign of a flare for me is blood in the stool/diarrhea and even dripping blood from the back end. Mucus isn't as much of a problem as when I see blood.

One of the examples of a 5ASA Suppository is my Canasa. This kind reminds me of a bullet and slips in easier with a little bit of KY lube. Eventually you might need an oral version as well. But, I'd wait to talk to your doctor about that.

I think the best thing that would help you for info is to look at our wiki section. It too has some good info in there. I'm sorry if I'm overwhelming you. The best thing I've done for me is read up on how to best take care of myself with what I've got.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/Suppositories

http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=23219
Not overhwleming me I appreciate the info! I have never had dripping blood but I have had blood in stool which was mixed with a gellatine kind of substance. I have also passed only mucus in the past. Hoping when i phone tomorrow I get my results.

One thing id like to ask, if you know, is when i had c/oscopy I could only see like red patches in the rectum which was obviously inflammation, wouldnt there be visible ulcers too for it to be UP? Or could they just manifest over time?

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Good to hear!!! I was a bit concerned since we've been going back and forth so much and each time I was hounding you with info! Sounds like they caught yours at a good time. Blood in stool mixed with mucus isn't good. But, it's better than dripping blood like I've had.

Now that is one question I don't know but might have an answer to soon. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy this thursday 11/6. It's the first one since I was diagnosed with UP and the first with this GI. So, I'm a bit anxious all around with this one.

Please keep me updated on what happens and how you're doing. And, again feel free to message me if you'd like. By the way if you notice, with every posting you respond to you're seeming more relaxed about this diagnosis! It's good to see!

Good to hear!!! I was a bit concerned since we've been going back and forth so much and each time I was hounding you with info! Sounds like they caught yours at a good time. Blood in stool mixed with mucus isn't good. But, it's better than dripping blood like I've had.

Now that is one question I don't know but might have an answer to soon. I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy this thursday 11/6. It's the first one since I was diagnosed with UP and the first with this GI. So, I'm a bit anxious all around with this one.

Please keep me updated on what happens and how you're doing. And, again feel free to message me if you'd like. By the way if you notice, with every posting you respond to you're seeming more relaxed about this diagnosis! It's good to see!
Yeh im far far more laid back than I was before colonoscopy and when everything started. Speaking on here helps! My symptoms are settled at the moment have been for a good while. Bit of research seems to throw up that Proctitis isn't flared by food as crohns can be. So thats quite puzzling...

I suppose dripping blood would be a severe case of proctitis... mine could be mild or moderate

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Glad that this has helped! You can still be sensitive or flare from foods with this. But, it's more of a trial and error type of thing. Just remember that each person is different. What bothers me might not do anything to you.

Yes. Yours could be mild or moderate. I was in a flare for over 2 years before I got better. I had a doctor that didn't listen to me or my husband and had pretty much given up on me. However, I changed doctors & insurance in 2013 and this doctor I have now is a whole lot better. But, this is most likely the reason why mine is more sensitive. I've got to head to work. But, will check again on here when I get home. Have a good day!

Glad that this has helped! You can still be sensitive or flare from foods with this. But, it's more of a trial and error type of thing. Just remember that each person is different. What bothers me might not do anything to you.

Yes. Yours could be mild or moderate. I was in a flare for over 2 years before I got better. I had a doctor that didn't listen to me or my husband and had pretty much given up on me. However, I changed doctors & insurance in 2013 and this doctor I have now is a whole lot better. But, this is most likely the reason why mine is more sensitive. I've got to head to work. But, will check again on here when I get home. Have a good day!
Thanks! I just checked my GI's report from c/oscopy and he has put "Inflammation in Rectum" - "Mild Proctitis, any further post rectal mucus or bleeding and 5ASA suppositories to be given - Awaiting biopsy results"

Been 2 weeks tomorrow since c/oscopy so hoping results are back and I can update you!

Speak after work... :)

My daughters also has UC: rectal area.
My newest thought is to work in the stomach area before food even passes.

I will start another thread, but with you being newly diagnosed, maybe they could also test you for reasons why your body may not be digesting food in the stomach properly?

I know this is a theory, but while you are not in a big flare, it would not hurt to consider that avenue.

glad you are finding lots of support and you are not in a big flare right now.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Thank you for your input Hope345. I'm curious as to what the results were from the colonoscopy. I was surprised that a pill version wasn't prescribed just to get things rolling. However, I'm not a doctor so I can't say a whole lot. I do hope though that you can get the info to help you know how to better take care of yourself Rick. We'll talk more when we get the chance...

Many doctors will prescribe 5-ASA suppositories after a colonoscopy because acute proctitis (a one-off occurrence) is not an uncommon finding and 5-ASA suppositories are generally a very safe thing to give to anyone since in this form it is barely, if at all, absorbed into the bloodstream. Once the biopsies return and it can be established as a more chronic condition such as ulcerative colitis, then the doctor will begin to prescribe pills for treatment.