• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Mental Health Counseling

Mental health care is one of the fastest growing fields in the US at the moment. Each year millions of people are diagnosed with mental illness, and most of them will need counseling or other treatment. To keep up with this need, mental health counseling programs are being offered by most major universities, as well as smaller schools that specialize in psychology and mental health.

When looking at mental health counseling programs, it is important to keep in mind that different states have different licensing requirements for mental health counselors. The program a prospective counselor chooses should meet the standards of licensure for the state he or she wishes to practice in.

Mental health counseling programs are masters programs, requiring a four year degree in a relevant field. Psychology is probably the most common undergraduate course of study for mental health counseling programs. However counseling programs have accepted students with a wide variety of backgrounds, including biology, pre-med, sociology and more.

There are a wide variety of specialties available in mental health counseling programs. Possible courses of study include addiction, family therapy, developmental psychology, cognitive behavior, marriage counseling, clinical counseling and much more. Some programs focus on one or two specialties in mental health, while others offer a range of options for students to choose from.

Read more about Mental health Counseling and other Health Tips Here:
http://www.healthpoise.com

KWalker

I'm really sorry, but I'm not sure if this is a bot or not. Also, if you're not a bot where are you located that you can get a Masters in only 4 years? Because here in Canada it takes 4 years to get a bachelors, and 6 for a Masters.

I'm really sorry, but I'm not sure if this is a bot or not. Also, if you're not a bot where are you located that you can get a Masters in only 4 years? Because here in Canada it takes 4 years to get a bachelors, and 6 for a Masters.
I think that is what he was saying, that you need a four year [undergraduate] degree in a relevant field (e.g. psychology) before doing the masters in mental health counseling.

KWalker

Hmm, yeah possibly. Reading it again I guess it could go either way. It's an interesting first post though which is why it makes me wonder if it's a real person or a bot though.