• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Very skinny stools

My bowel movements always come out in the size of a pinky. I may pass two or three of these stools. No matter how much I eat or what I eat, my body doesn't produce normal sausage shaped stools.

I never had surgery. I've had Crohn's for 16 years. The last time I remember passing a normal stool was at age 17.

What can be wrong? What can be done to fix this?

i would think you likely hav active inflammation going on but I'll let some of the more experienced people answer this. That's how mine are and I have active inflammation.

i would think you likely hav active inflammation going on but I'll let some of the more experienced people answer this. That's how mine are and I have active inflammation.
Dont know for sure if that is what causes it but I do know I have active inflammation right now.

In my case it meant rectal strictures. Has this just started for you or changed recently? Are you on any medications at all? Are you currently working with a GI? If so, please let him know. Medication early on may prevent inflammation from becoming strictures, then your options for treatment start to narrow. Dilatations are possible and can work, even to a small extent with strictures. Worth following up with a doctor.

fuzzy butterfly

My bowel movements always come out in the size of a pinky. I may pass two or three of these stools. No matter how much I eat or what I eat, my body doesn't produce normal sausage shaped stools.

I never had surgery. I've had Crohn's for 16 years. The last time I remember passing a normal stool was at age 17.

What can be wrong? What can be done to fix this?
Hi i had read that sometimes skinny poops are caused by the bowels narrowing ,thus why they are thinner. If you havent already inform your doctor n check with him. I think the medical term is called a stricture but not certain there. They sometimes perform surgery to rectify the problem.

It may not be the case in your case . Just letting you know of a possible cause.
Best wishes 💕

Yeah, my anal canal is very narrow. And I may have a stricture in my sigmoid colon.

Do you they have surgery to fix a narrow anal canal?

fuzzy butterfly

Hi kathoga, I do believe that they can do surgery for that, it is not to narrow its called a sphincterotomy, if its very narrow it is called an anoplasty this is a reconstructive surgery.
Have you spoken to your doctor about this yet?. If not it would be wise to do so sooner rather than later, so the narrowing doesn't get any worse. I hope you can get this sorted out soon. Best wishes 💕

Hi kathoga, I do believe that they can do surgery for that, it is not to narrow its called a sphincterotomy, if its very narrow it is called an anoplasty this is a reconstructive surgery.
Have you spoken to your doctor about this yet?. If not it would be wise to do so sooner rather than later, so the narrowing doesn't get any worse. I hope you can get this sorted out soon. Best wishes 💕
I also hope you can get it taken care of sooner rather than later. Let us know.