• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Emergency room doctors and Crohn's Disease

S

Skinsfan1229

So how many of you think that CD "feels" a certain way. When I have the flu, a cold a stomach bug, I know if its CD or not. What gets me is sometimes when I go to the ER they say, "Well how do you know its your crohns?", and I say "Because Crohns FEELS a certain way". They act like I wouldnt know the difference or that the two wouldnt feel different. If I was in the ER for a cold I'd feel kinda weird about taking up a bed from someone that needed it. Thats why when I go I know its my crohns, I mean come on, I have the pain, weak, nasueas, loss of weight, everything. Anyone else get this?

Now normally my ER is awesome, there are triage nurses that take me back before others because they know me by name and know of how severe my crohns is. They know I wait till the last second. These same nurses will get an IV of fluids and even atleast some phenergan before getting a room or bed, I'm still in triage with this, that makes me feel good. Most of the doctors I've had and if I havent then they are pretty new, I've had most of them dozens of times sometimes lol. So in that way its good because most of them know I have a high pain medication tolerance and need a lot more then normal even though I'm half the size. Its nice to get a doctor that doesnt think your drug seeking when after 15 minutes you tell them yea it worked great for 15 minutes...they look at you like your crazy theres no way you are in pain with all that "strong" pain medications.

By the way the ones of you that have a surgeon or a GI like me, meaning I pretty much am always at the GI its more like having him as my PCP, because I take his advice first...then my surgeon, then my pcp, then my pain mangement doc, kinda of have a list of the way it goes lol. Well are anyone of you that have rectal abcesses, and lot of disease activity there, sort of not willing to let the ER doctors examine you like they should? I've had the same surgeon for so long, and I feel very comfortable with him, he knows me medication wise, what works, and how rough he can be, what procecdures he can do, and the way my GI's office and surgeon's office is is they sort of keep each other informed, so I've actually seeen all the surgeons and GI's in the office, seperate offices by the way. So I make the ER doctor atleast call up my surgeon or whoever is on call for him and get their opinion before he does anything. Its not that I dont have trust in other doctors its I feel I can avoid unnecessary and un-needed things if they just talk to my doctors. Alright I guess I'm just rambling on this thread isnt really about anything in particular except the ER.

Hope everyone is doing well and hope we can slowly but surely keep adding members, I keep my eye on the member counter, slowly but surely.

V

Valentina

they never listen to me in the ER... I usually am only there for kidney pain (Im POSITIVE its "time".. its passing.. never is, but sure feels like it lol) I get my pain usually high up in my back close to the side, and I guess this is not the "normal" area for kidney pain.. so I end up with a triage nurse who refused to put the word "kidney" on my chart because Im pointing at my rib. so I wait for 9 hours.. because who cares about the girl with the sore rib?! the last time that happened though, it was my kidney stone. but it wasnt passing so I had to have emergency laser surgery to blast the thing. it had blocked me up to the point I was poisining myself. I gave the nurse the best "I told you so" glare, but at that point didnt have a lot of energy, so didnt feel my due satisfaction ;) lol
oh and mention u have crohns.. even if your in there for a sore toe (or kidney), and all they seem to want to talk about is crohns.
no wonder I leave things til the last minute/or Ive passed out and my mom drives me in.

S

Skinsfan1229

I've noticed that also...they talk about my crohns a lot when I'm there for other things.

I've had kidney stones removed but never laser surgery, pretty cool. I had outpatient surgery when they went in with a scope and this is where I'm not sure, but either crushed it up or pulled it out.

I also have scar tissue in my ureters from so many surgeries and just from the crohns.

V

Valentina

Skinsfan1229 said:
I've had kidney stones removed but never laser surgery, pretty cool. I had outpatient surgery when they went in with a scope and this is where I'm not sure, but either crushed it up or pulled it out.
from what I remember (not alot) they put in a scope, and then with some sort of laser blasted it to bits that I then had to pass. was the size of a large almond.. so lots of little bits. I had to have a shunt (sp?) put in for a few weeks as well because my "tube" (Im sure not the "technical" term lol) that went from my kidney to my bladder kept folding over like an old garden hose, and wouldnt stay open on its own.

I too have a lot of scar tissue now.. and they say they think thats mostly the pain Im going to the ER for now.. my stone is on my left, but the worst pains are always on my right (where my last stone was)