• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Update: Mri results, pain, and surgery.

Hi Everyone, i hope you're all well. Thought i'd post an update as this is the only way i feel like i'm gonna pass the time while i'm off sick.

If you've read my previous post you'll be able to get an understanding of my situation. I finally got my MRI results back (After arguing with the gastro secretary for weeks who refused to send them to my gp) Anyway here's what the report says.

'There is an impression on some mucosal thickening and increased enhancement involving a shortchanged segment of terminal ileum although this may be partly influenced by poor distension. There are some small enhancing regional nodes adjacent to this area. Trace fluid within the adjacent mesentery reflections. Overall appearances are suspicious for active inflammation within the terminal ileum over a length not-exceeding 10cm (The actual measurement is 8cm.) Incidental note made of small renal comical cysts blah blah blah.....

Impression:

Features suspicious for active terminal ileum inflammation.'

Went through this with my gastro who showed me the actual mri, and said there definitely seems to be a narrowing of the ileum along with bowel wall thickening. We're definitely going to find Crohn's when we do you're colonoscopy....It was a junior who did yours 4 years ago (Siggggghhhhh lol.) He said however that because of where my Crohn's is located the most common option is going to end up being a resection. Is this true?

Regards,
Will

Not sure... there is inflammation ongoing so treatments could work to heal strictures, did you discuss this with your gastro?
Also even in case of scarring stricture, surgery is needed if you have clinical symptoms of strictures, otherwise you could avoid it.

If there is scar tissue you could need surgery. If it is just inflammation causing a bowel narrowing and thickening you would not need surgery - your disease is located in one of the most common areas for Crohn's and it is well treated with a variety of choices of medications.

Not sure... there is inflammation ongoing so treatments could work to heal strictures, did you discuss this with your gastro?
Also even in case of scarring stricture, surgery is needed if you have clinical symptoms of strictures, otherwise you could avoid it.
I did yeah, however his suspicion is that there's quite a bit of scaring. Mostly to do with how long it's been (I've had what i know is Crohn's for the past 4 years, however they missed it in previous tests.) The Junior that did my colonoscopy back then didn't bother actually going into the terminal ileum at that time.

Resection would be resolutive and as the disease seems active only on those 10 cm it would not be dramatic. But sill, depending on how you feel and can handle that stricture, you could discuss with your gi to give biologic treatment a try...

Hi Willpwuk, I've had CD for 40+ yrs including one resection. The pain and inflammation started up again just 3 years later. To avoid another resection, I decided to take another approach which I wished I had done prior to the resection to avoid that surgery. I read Dr. Hulda Clark's book the "Cure For All Diseases" which discusses that removing the pathogen(s) will likely start the healing process. In her book, she does not claim that all people will survive their health problems such as may be the case when the causes are eliminated too late after too much damage has been done by the parasites. So, there are a few different ways to eliminate the microbial pathogens or parasites one of which is by a parasite killing colon cleanse which can be found in many books and websites. Keep in mind killing parasites is a little different than just emptying the colon, i.e., a colon cleanse. But here is what happened to me after having this disease for over 19 years. Three years after my resection (about 11 cm in both the lower right and lower left quadrants of my intestines were removed and then sewn back together), I started having the old horrible spasms and inflammatory pain. I was getting ready for another resection before I tried the Parasite Killing Program in Dr. Clark's book which includes just 3 different herbs known to man for hundreds of years for killing parasites. BTW- I was told by my gastro doc that two of my lab parasite tests had been negative. I purchased the herbs from the Dr. Clark Store from The Natural Resource Center and took a partial dose of their protocol from the book which included: 1 teaspoon of Extra Strength Black Walnut Hull Tincture in an 8 oz glass of water. With that I took 5 capsules of Wormwood Blend and 3 capsules of Cloves (all from the Dr Clark Store but can be purchased from other sites and stores). I personally have discovered the Dr Clark Store products to be superior to the same herbs from other venders-no, I do NOT work for any of these entities. I never thought that after having this disease for so many years, having many rounds of antibiotics/hospitalizations and a resection that this protocol would make any difference. Boy was I wrong!!! As I was drinking this concoction the pain was disappearing. I figured it would just come back a few minutes later. But it did not. This partial dose got rid of 75% of my pain. So the next day I took the full does ( before the protocol was changed) which included: 2 tsp of Extra Strength Black Walnut Hull Tincture (color should be green) in 8 oz glass water, 7 capsules of Wormwood Blend, 3 capsules Cloves which is now been changed to 7 capsules. All taken on an empty stomach in the morning -I didn't eat for half an hour and consumed nothing hot so as not to destroy the herbal balance. I sipped the tincture slowly and held my breath or I would vomit. Opened tincture bottles were kept tightly closed in refrigerator and would get weaker over time evidenced by the darker color. Well, that got rid of ALL MY PAIN! I took this killing cleanse once a week (on weekends) for a year. I have not gotten any inflammations or pain or hospitalizations in the succeeding 20 years. I still have problems with digestion and some loose stools but I have used other things for addressing this like certain enzymes (most make the problem worse). However, I was able to get rid of many parasites and their eggs (look like rice in the toilet upon elimination). I take no pharmaceutical meds for CD to date. I'm 58 years old and wish I had never had a resection. I believe the cause of CD is a combination of a genetic variant (combination involving more than on gene) and an environmental factor such as the MAP bacterium that results in the proliferation of microbial pathogens which can travel to other organs in the body when the biochemistry is altered by chemicals such as metals in the mouth/body, pesticides in products and on foods. I do not eat food that have been sprayed by pesticides unless they can have skins that can be removed. Also, generally, I do not eat red meat and did not eat poultry for many years although I do now. I do not generally eat farm raised fish. If I do, I take the parasite killing herbs the next morning. I do not generally eat moldy foods like blue cheese and limit the amount of dairy and "enriched flour" products. If I do eat moldy foods like any cheeses, I try to drink hot water or a hot drink with the food to kill the mold. Tomatoes give me arthritis in my hands so I don't eat much of those. Btw- before I ever took the herbs, I took watered down grain alcohol to see if that would help. It did not which means that the alcohol in the Tincture is not the cause of the killing of parasites. Also, there are freeze-dried Black Walnut Hull Capsules if one doesn't want to consume any alcohol. Some say these capsules work better but I have found that the tincture is far better as difficult as it is to drink. BTW- intestines can regenerate so don't think that scar tissue is the determining factor for opting for surgery. Always try a less invasive option before going for losing your organs in part or in whole. Doctors mean well but they can be wrong sometimes. Please beware medications: they can cause other serious health problems including cancer. Remember: the choice is yours not your doctor's. Whatever you decide, good luck and feel free to ask any questions you may have.