• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Stem Cells

I am not sure that this is the right place to ask, since this part of the forum is for women who are pregnant or trying to get pregnant. I doubt they are doing it for the stem cells.

I don’t think that I made myself clear. Has anyone used embryo stem cells to „cure“ CD? As a theropy...
21stcenturysciencetech.com/articles/winter01/stem_cell.html

„There are also reports of successful treatments with adult stem cells in cases of Crohn’s disease (a chronic infection of the gut), thalassemia (a blood disease), and a rare skin disease. And–despite the fact that basic research with adult stem cells is in its earliest beginnings and is in no way being promoted with urgency–there have been a growing number of reports lately of experiments with animals, from which it emerges that adult stem cells can successfully transform themselves into differentiated cells of organs of many kinds.“
emcell.com/en/list_of_diseases/ulcerative-colitis.htm

I don’t think that I made myself clear. Has anyone used embryo stem cells to „cure“ CD? As a theropy...
21stcenturysciencetech.com/articles/winter01/stem_cell.html

„There are also reports of successful treatments with adult stem cells in cases of Crohn’s disease (a chronic infection of the gut), thalassemia (a blood disease), and a rare skin disease. And–despite the fact that basic research with adult stem cells is in its earliest beginnings and is in no way being promoted with urgency–there have been a growing number of reports lately of experiments with animals, from which it emerges that adult stem cells can successfully transform themselves into differentiated cells of organs of many kinds.“
emcell.com/en/list_of_diseases/ulcerative-colitis.htm
Yes I know what you are asking and I am telling you that, this part of the forum is for women that are currently pregnant or trying to get pregnant. Try asking in the TREATMENT or GENERAL DICUSSION part of the forum. Its kind of borderline offensive to talk about harvesting embryos for stem cells in the pregnancy part of the forum.

http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

i'm moving this thread to the Treatment Section, as it may be the kind of discussion that's more appropriate there...

but, just for future reference - if any members think posts are in the wrong place, or are upset at the content, please refrain from saying so on the forum, and pm myself, David or Nancy Lee instead, and we can deal with it, without any upset.

thanks. :)

wooooooow...take it easy honey..I am new to this forum,therefore, I didn't mean to offend anyone since the topic CD and pregnancy seems to be related...at least in my head...now I know and I will try not to make the same mistake twice :)

no need to stress :) :) :)

p.s. thank you administrator :)

I don't think anyone was getting upset, I think she was actually trying to prevent that since embryo stem cells are dangerous to the embryo.

They used stem cells to cure a form of AIDS recently, so I am going to go ahead and say yay for stem cells. I believe they are an effective treatment but I have never tried them. I would in a heartbeat though.

The therapeutic effects of these cells during Crohn's disease, however, remains to be evaluated. This study cannot answer this question, because its aims were to assess the feasibility and safety of cell therapy. Nevertheless the results are encouraging, since 30% of patients with chronic treatment-resistant Crohn's disease are now experiencing a conventional clinical improvement of their disease and 2 out of 9 colonic lesions have healed. Furthermore, these stromal mesenchymal cells retain their ability to multiply despite the immunosuppressive treatments used during Crohn's disease (azathioprine, methotrexate, anti-TNF) and even have a synergistic anti-inflammatory effect on them.

http://appliedclinicaltrialsonline..../ArticleNewsFeed/Article/detail/712964?ref=25