• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is this from Crohn's?

I am a newly diagnosed 25 yr old with Crohns. I have had back problems for awhile also. They took X-rays of my Lumbar spine and I was diagnosed with Degenerative Arthritis and joint narrowing. I'm thinking this could be from crohns because of my young age and arthritis. Could this be the cause?

crohns can make you have arthritis like symptoms. i know my joints ache like none other when i am flaring. also crohns is also accompanied by other auto-immune issues. it stinks. my GI has suggested i see a rhumatologist for my joints. if it isn't the cause it probably isn't helping. hang in there :)

Hi did they only xray your lumbar spine? Ankylosing spondylitis can coincide with crohns but this causes the spine to stiffen and fuse. You are young for degenerative arthritis I would request a referral to a rheumatologist for more investigation and advice and xrays or scans of the whole spine. Did they comment on the level of arthritic change eg mild moderate or severe?

It's best to keep the spine as healthy as possible with regular safe gentle exercises etc so get a referral for Physio also. How long have you had crohns or symptoms of crohns? Any arthritis in the family?

Hi archie. No arthritis in my family, but I was in the Army. Maybe its from lifting those heavy rucksacks. I have an appointment later this month because it is certainly giving me problems. I am nervous because of my age! Just hoping that something is not going on. Thanks!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Mike, it can be related to the Crohn's. One of the potential causes of what you're experiencing is vitamin D deficiency. Studies have shown the low levels of vitamin D can contribute to it. Now, many people without Crohn's are low in vitamin D, but Crohnies often take it to a whole new level. I would strongly suggest getting your levels checked and supplementing if you are indeed deficient.

Hi Mike, it can be related to the Crohn's. One of the potential causes of what you're experiencing is vitamin D deficiency. Studies have shown the low levels of vitamin D can contribute to it. Now, many people without Crohn's are low in vitamin D, but Crohnies often take it to a whole new level. I would strongly suggest getting your levels checked and supplementing if you are indeed deficient.
Thanks David!

Just curious:
1. How long have you been presenting crohns and arthritic symptoms (did one appear before the other)?
2. Did both these symptoms start before your army stint (thanks, btw)?
3. Did you serve overseas and when did you come back?
4. Any other odd extra-intestinal symptoms (fatigue, breathing issues)?

On a dietary note, research the nutritional effects of all your medications (if your on any). David would be the first to tell you the osteoarthritic problems associated with prednisone and how to supplement.

I am a 27 year old male and was diagnosed last year and have had similar issues. My pain is migratory and in recent months has turned from occasional to constant. My GI doc put me on Sulfasalazene and my Rheumetologist suggested the same (also gave 8-week crack-like Vitamin D). It is limited usually to my wrists and ankles but can affect my knees. I do not feel any real bowel discomfort lately leading me to believe it's not caused by inflammation of my bowels.

I am currently beginning a gluten-free diet to see if it is my diet that is the cause (wasn't too bad before), but I'm trying to find anything but steroids to fix this.

I feel your pain, but it seems as though our symptoms are different so maybe you should try what has not been working for me. Anyone else have any suggestions?

I would venture this is related. I had a MRI done for pain in my back and I have a herniated disk and possible degenerative disk disease. I have no accident to accredit this injury to and my doctor is puzzled bc he has never seen anything this bad in anyone so young. I am in my late twenties too and was diagnosed with Crohns 10 years ago.

Just curious:
1. How long have you been presenting crohns and arthritic symptoms (did one appear before the other)?
2. Did both these symptoms start before your army stint (thanks, btw)?
3. Did you serve overseas and when did you come back?
4. Any other odd extra-intestinal symptoms (fatigue, breathing issues)?

On a dietary note, research the nutritional effects of all your medications (if your on any). David would be the first to tell you the osteoarthritic problems associated with prednisone and how to supplement.
1.) The Army doc's stated that I could have crohn's, but I was never completely diagnosed in the Army. Just a medical discharge before a complete diagnosis.
2.) Back problems started in 2008 (I was discharged in Nov 2006).
3.) No overseas duty.
4.) Lots of fatigue off and on for about 6 months.

I personally have recurring sacroilleac pain (HLA negative for AnkSp), but it comes and goes every month or so--not so persistent. I haven't heard of degenerative arthritis--but I haven't looked--being related to crohn's. Usually more rheumatic and migratory.

My cousin is a tall guy (6'7'', 32 yrs) and he was recently told he has the back of a 60 yr old. The only guess they had was attributed to a childhood sleighriding accident!?

I would personally supplement (at least) with Vit D, K2, and Calcium/minerals with regards to possible crohns malabsorption. Maybe drink purified water by getting a good RO filter, too. If you can handle it, I would definitely build up all those little muscles that support the spine by doing a variety of yoga exercises. In some cases moving around helps and if you don't use it, you lose it, so to speak.

I commented on the Army connection because troops are coming back with depleted uranium poisoning and many exposed troops, including a high school peer of mine, start out with fusing bones or bone cancers (often in the spine)--years after they come home. DU munitions, when fired, release a Ur-oxide vapor that, when inhaled, lodge in the lungs for awhile before the alpha particles spread to reproductive organs and bones to wreak havoc. Fortunately, you probably have nothing to worry about if it has been 5+ years and you weren't firing much DU rounds.

Repetitive lifting or some sort of traumatic injury, I believe (but don't know), is what causes most degenerative arthritis.

As far as the fatigue goes, I don't have any magic bullet. I tend to do best with lots of unflavored protein (whey/rice/hemp/pea) in smothies. I also take mega doses of sublingual b12(Advanced B12 from Source Naturals) every couple days alternated with a b complex (B Right from Jarrow). I also think taking magnesium malate daily helps out.

Other possible, though I've yet to confirm, energizers are: 1g quercetin, 2000mg L-carnitine, 100-300 Co Q10, 100-300mg alpha lipoic acid. I just ordered some L-carnitine and CoQ10; I'll let u know if it helps me.

Also, if you do believe you have a type of chronic fatigue (many former troops do--maybe vaccines or exposure to anti-nerve agents/tear gas or pesticides in quarters etc.), SOME troops are beginning to report benefits from LDN. LDN also helps crohn's in 80+% of those who take it for a few months.

back issues

Hi cinch by inch, I am having big back problems right now. I am undiagnosed but am starting to get some tests back leading me to be concerned. My ASCA level is high, very low B12, prior operative reports spotting crohn's and of course all the G.I. symptoms except blood. What does your back pain feel like? My L3 disc is almost constantly out of alignment. My physio said it was completely rotated out last time. He adjusts it back in and a few hours later it is out again. Been going on for 2 months now! Feels more serious than just back pain. Any ideas?

I would venture this is related. I had a MRI done for pain in my back and I have a herniated disk and possible degenerative disk disease. I have no accident to accredit this injury to and my doctor is puzzled bc he has never seen anything this bad in anyone so young. I am in my late twenties too and was diagnosed with Crohns 10 years ago.

I was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease when I was 26. At the time I didn't know I had IBD. It wasn't until recently that I was diagnosed with IBD so that is a good question....can pain in the back be related to IBD??

I had a slipped disk and was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease when I was in my early 20's. I too didn't have an accident, just started hurting one day. I was having bowel issues at the time but didn't know what was wrong with me. Then this back issue came about. I thought WTF, I'm ONLY 20 something. Haha All I can do now is laugh at my body that is falling apart. Some days I don't laugh and those days are harder to get through but I'm doing my best as are all of you. Whether it's all connected or it isn't, it's happening so all we can do is deal the best way we can.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I am still struggling with huge digestion issues coinciding with major back problems. I am working towards an official diagnosis but am struggling to alleviate my current "flare-up" symptoms (if indeed it is crohns). I am lactose intolerant and am looking for a smoothly or something that I can keep down that will give me much needed energy. I have reduced my junk food intake to almost nil, still eat sugar cereals though with almond milk. Surprisingly can keep that in me. Does anyone have any suggestions for more energy intake with a lactose free diet? Yesterday made the mistake of trying to eat a healthy dinner of home made chef salad. Wow, was that a mistake! Sweating chills dry heaves, pain, pain, and more pain in abdomen. The nausea is the most difficult for me to deal with. Woke up with slightly less pain and still very nauseas but had to go for scheduled CT scan.
Did not know that lettuce would create such a reaction (assuming that was the culprit). Other ingredients are, toasted almond slivers, hard boiled egg, cherry tomatoes, red onion, thinly chopped salami.
Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the advice, I checked out the specific carbohydrate diet and will look to making some changes. Currently, I am sticking to mostly liquids and mild things like bread, broth ect.. I have received results back from CT and MRI this week. I just had the CT done on Wednesday and my doctor phoned me the next day with the results! It appears that I have colitis on my transverse colon and descending colon. Thickening seen in these areas. My GP was able to get me into see a new GI doc. this week which is great because I am having serious symptoms and getting worse. My MRI came back today, I have been having really bad back pain in lower back and wrapping around the left side. It appears that I have arthritis, degeneration of discs, and annular disc tearing. Could this be related to Colitis or Crohns if that's what I have? It seems to be odd that both things are acting up very badly at the same time? I am 43 and have had problems with my bowels since I was 20. I was only ever diagnosed with IBS at that time, and subsequently had serious endometriosis which lead to many surgeries and a total hysterectomy at the age of 30. My surgeon thought my bowel issues were due to IBS, but my GI doc thought they were due to my endo. I have had 7 laps, the last 2 post-hyst. Those two showed residual endo and massive scarring wrapped all around my bowels and attaching them to my abdomen wall.. My surgeon layered and ablated off the scar tissue, only to have it all come back shortly after. After my 7th lap (2nd with this amount of bowel scarring), my surgeon said that he didn't want to do any more surgeries. He said he was worried because he never really new where my bowels would be and was worried about nicking them. Plus, it wasn't working anyway. I now am worried that I have actually had colitis or crowns the entire time. Now my back is all screwed up on top of nausea/vomiting/pain/ act. in abdomen. Could the back be related and how bad is it if I have had this for 23 years with no treatment other than serious narcotics for chronic pain?

There is a possibility that the 2 are related although many people without IBD can also have degenerative change and disc problems purely through lifestyle and genetics unfortunately. If you had a hysterectomy at 30 and IBD it would be wise to have a bone density scan to check for thinning of the bones and it might be an idea to take calcium. When your inflammation increases with the colitis this can also cause your back to become inflamed. Your history of endometriosis can also effect your back. The best advice would be to try and prevent it getting worse by carrying out specific exercises and keeping fit as that will keep the back more healthy. Good luck and hope you get some relief soon.