• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How/when to disclose Crohn's to an employer??

So I've been getting energy these past couple months and blood tests seem to be slowly increasing.

I'm 21 and need to start trying to find a job I will be able to handle after not working since 2006..

I just don't know how or when would be the correct time to tell a possible/current employer I have Crohn's and the effects and limits it puts on me.

I know if I'm trying to get a job, and I tell a possible employer I have Crohn's and really don't know my limits yet and how I will probably have frequent sick days will be a deal breaker.

And if I don't say anything before I get the job, and tell the employer later once they start noticing things it could possibly lead to more issues such as trust and what not..

How/when/who do I tell?? I wouldn't even know what to say??

Any advice really helps,
thanks

Zac

I think I would be tempted to wait until you get an offer of a job and only then if they ask. That way they know you are the best person for the job - telling them at interview stage (unless they ask) may discourage them from considering you. If you are not asked then I'd say nothing if you feel like you may be on your way into remission but I'd not lie if I was asked directly. They may ask what your previous attendance record has been in which case you need to be upfront, explain how you are affected and that things are improving. Good luck!

Ditto. Wait until you are offered a job (they cannot legally ask you before then).

Once you have been offered the job, they may want you to undergo health screening, in which case you can disclose your condition knowing that if the job offer is then withdrawn they have to prove that it wasn't discriminatory. ie there has to be a sound business reason why your Crohn's would prevent you doing the job, not just because of any previous sickness absences.

Yep I am currently looking for a job even thought it would be part- time, how tell someone who working for that have crohns? I think it easy if work first then find out you crohns.

KWalker

I personally rarely ever tell an employer. It doesn't hold me back and I have no reason for them to know, or for them to judge me because of it. Actually, I've only told one employer because I had to take a few days off and didn't want him to think I was faking it.

Honestly I think you think you're okay to work, don't tell them.. Why let it make it harder to get a job? If the time does come up and you need to let them know down the road, then tell them.

At my last job, they never knew. I was in remission the whole 5 years I worked there. With my current job, I told them within a month of working here. I went into a severe flare a week before starting the job and I couldn't hide it.

Chrismac

Best of British
I don't tell them. I will put it on the application form if they ask, but I wouldn't come out and say it first. The job I am in now I didn't tell them until a few months in because I figured I'd filled out the medical form when I was accepted and if they hadn't been bothered to read it then it wasn't my fault.
Having said that it's not really been an issue.

I think I would be tempted to wait until you get an offer of a job and only then if they ask. That way they know you are the best person for the job - telling them at interview stage (unless they ask) may discourage them from considering you. If you are not asked then I'd say nothing if you feel like you may be on your way into remission but I'd not lie if I was asked directly. They may ask what your previous attendance record has been in which case you need to be upfront, explain how you are affected and that things are improving. Good luck!

I don't think an employer can legally ask about that.

It doesn't say where you live, but if you are in the US, employers are not allowed to ask about health conditions unless they directly relate to the job (ie- bad back and job requires lifting).

Crohn's qualifies as a condition affecting Major Life Activities under the ADA, so once you are hired, you can ask for reasonable accommodations. The key is reasonable. Asking for a desk near a restroom is considered reasonable as an example.

I am not sure how it differs in the uk and USA. Over here when a new employer gets a reference they will usually ask about attendance even if they don't ask about health.