• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Switching meds?

The last few weeks, I have had faecal incontinence once a week. My last doctor's visit, we decided to switch me to taking Humira more frequently. I am supposed to let my doctor know the beginning of March how I am doing. I am wondering if he will switch me off Humira.

my little penguin

Staff member
Depends on how you are doing in humira
Have things gotten better
Remained the same
Or gotten worse

Humira can be taken up to every 5 days and can be taken with methotrexate
Are you taking mtx with your humira ?

A lot depends on how you are doing and what your labs and tests say

I can say the rectum takes forever to heal even with the right meds
At least for ds

Good luck

I mentioned Mtx my last visit. They weren't too thrilled to begin something like that. I have been told I am a complex case because I have had to discontinue more than one medicine.

my little penguin

Staff member
Most on here are complex cases
It's ok
Ds has tried and stopped
Pentasa
6-mp
6-mp plus allopurinol
Asacol HD at various times and in combination
Tons of creams and suppositories at various times
Methotrexate (by itself )
Remicade

And is currently on humira every 5 days plus mtx plus a lot of other stuff for his other conditions

You just need to find the magic combo
Everyone has one

Maya142

Staff member
What about Simponi, Stelara or Entyvio? Even if you've taken Stelara before, now that it's approved for IBD, you may be able to get a higher dose. You can also add Methotrexate in place of Imuran.

You could also re-try something you've been on. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. My older daughter is on Humira for the second time and it has worked just as well for her.

What about Simponi, Stelara or Entyvio? Even if you've taken Stelara before, now that it's approved for IBD, you may be able to get a higher dose. You can also add Methotrexate in place of Imuran.

You could also re-try something you've been on. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. My older daughter is on Humira for the second time and it has worked just as well for her.
I have wondered about retrying Cimzia. It was the most successful biologic I have tried so far.