• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How many Crohn's related surgeries have you had?

How many Crohn's related surgeries have you had?

• 1-2

Votes: 69 39.9%
  • 3-4

Votes: 23 13.3%
  • 5-10

Votes: 22 12.7%
  • 11+

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Zero

Votes: 53 30.6%

• Total voters

afidz

Super Moderator
This is just out of curiosity, just wondering how many surgeries every has had. I have had 14 Crohn's related, and my appendix out, which turned out to be Crohn's related and about to go into #16.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member

Central IV when I was 9. Resection at 17. Fixed infection after resection. Tonsils removed because Humira made them go crazy.

One planned, laparoscopic surgery in 2009 to remove about 10 inches of scarred tissue in the ileum. And then an unplanned emergency surgery a year later due to a colonoscopy mishap, which removed the cecum (the first part of the large bowel).

You forgot an option for 0.

I've been very lucky so far. I have an appt on Tuesday to discuss the complex fistulae found in my MRI so I'm not so sure how long I'll be able to say 0.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Edited poll to show 1 each for my kids.

I do think Matt's inguinal hernia reared its ugly head because of his abdo surgery. However it is a long bow to draw to blame it on Crohn's as he had a predisposition to it. :lol:

Dusty. :)

afidz

Super Moderator
Dusty I consider all of the surgeries Crohn's
related Even though only 2 of them actually invoked my intestines. It all started because of my colon and I can't heal properly because I have Crohn's

I've had Crohn's for 20 years with no surgery. I have an appointment on Monday at OHSU in Portland Oregon to get a second opinion regarding the necessity of an operation though. I'm scared. :( I don't want to have a stoma for the rest of my life.. :(

I had 12 inches of small bowel (terminal ileum) removed in 2008 and gallbladder removed due to crohns in 2009. Failed with Remicade, just started Humira 2 weeks ago.

I am at 6 so far - two were to install and remove a temporary ileostomy. If dilatations are included, that would add another 4 to the total. Three of these came with 6 months of getting married!

10 surgeries in 45 years (1st one in '77, last in '08)... started in small bowel @ ileocecal valve. Subsequent scarred over obstructions @ the anastomosis. Eventually involved colon so at each surgey more small and large bowel are removed.

Sepsis X 2 and 2 paralytic ileus as near death complications.

Still standing... More or less.

Thanks to everyone for sharing.

Michele Lea

I was misdiagnosed with UC in 1985, got my correct diagnosis of Crohn's in 1989 and have had 2 related surgeries, my gall bladder removed and my appendix removed. I think I've been fairly lucky so far :)

Hemmrhoids and a fissure or fistula in 1989,twice for an abscess in 1992,a fistula in 1994 and a resection in 2010. Getting ready to have surgery for lesion in scalp caused by Remicade.

I have had 6 surgeries so far, although I may have miscounted and actually had more....it gets confusing after a while keeping them all straight, lol.

Two so far. First one no big deal. Second one fistulas, a big deal to me.

I think I figured out how to stay off of the table now. Time will tell.

Dan

I've had one emergency bowel resection after my bowel perforated. Which resulted in them removing one metre of smal bowel, ileocecal valve and my appendix.

I haven't had any surgeries yet thank god. My brother had an ileostomy (sp?) and I was deeply worried I was going to have to have one too. I cam dangerously close, but luckily the humira, entocort and the cocktail of vitamin and dietary supplements were able to reverse my condition and induce a temporary remission I've had for the last few months.

One emergency surgery due to multiple perforations three months after diagnosis: 30 inches of ileum and cecum removed, plus a nice ileostomy.
Then a second surgery, to be recanalized :)

Diagnosed in 1983. 5 or 6 resections. 1 fistula repair, 1 anal repair, numerous dilatations for strictures. Another dilatation of 3 strictures to come. 1 temporary ileostomy and reversal. Now approaching with trepidation a proctocolectomy, and permanent ileostomy. Crohn's sucks

I just had my sixth surgery. Removed adhesions throughout as well as a severe stricture below my stoma-resulting in multiple resections and relocating the stoma to my left side. This was a biggie-nine hours. I'm home now and eight weeks later, still having abdominal pain and discomfort.

11+ I've lost count. Some involved my digestive system but other things as well. I have a pre-op for my next surgery next week, but this one isn't Crohn's related.

Does incision and drainage of unconfirmed but possibly crohn's related abscesses count? If so it's over 10.
Otherwise I've only had a cton for a fistula.

six interventions, the last two months ago, I did recently have a loop eco abdominal ..remain adherent to the wall is 220 cm ileum ..

None and I've had Crohn's for almost 30 years.

Sadly I believe the last major flare-up has caused more damage than medication can fix.

Three...

The first one to take of a little node in my leg (I didn't know it was crohn back then)
The second one was an appendicitis and a resection. That's when I found out I had Crohn
The third one was last monday (after 2 years of the second one). I had an occlusion in the surgery area.

I wasn't diagnosed yet but in 1989 ,I had a surgery for hemorrhoids and another for a fistula. In 1992, I had an abscess drained twice. After it was drained the first time, my wife begged the doctor, with tears in her eyes, to keep me in the hospital longer than they did. They didn't listen and a week and a half later, they had to drain it again. In 1994,I had surgery for a fistula. In 2010, I had a bowel resection. It wasn't directly related but last year I had a rare side effect from Remicade. It was a lesion that wouldn't respond to antibiotic so it had to be removed surgically.

tincho_lavie
Three...

The first one to take of a little node in my leg (I didn't know it was crohn back then)
tincho_lavie could you describe the node in your leg please? I think that is what I may have and haven't thought it was Crohns related. What was done to remove? what type of doctor etc please?

3 in about 7 months(Total Colectomy/J-Pouch) then nothing for a year.
Then the J-Pouch burst and I had 6 surgeries in about 10 months.

Old thread but is interesting since I'm looking down the barrel of a gun at my first real surgery. Had the balloon thing but it didn't work, strictures too bad.

dave13

Forum Monitor
I have had three:an emergency bowel resection(my introduction to crohn's),an inguinal hernia operation and a fistulotomy/seton placement. All in a seven month stretch. Operation free for four years now! Hospital stays,yes,but no 'procedures'. :)

That's awesome 4 years now. Had my surgery in April of this year removed terminal ileum and some. In for another week hospital stay so hopefully everything will go ok.

That had to be scary Eleanor. At least my resection was planned. Going through bowel prep...they are crazy here. I really don't need two days bowel prep. Give me some ice cream and then some coffee I'll be clean as a whistle. We don't need the other gunk.