• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

What brand pouch do you use?

I've ordered samples from Hollister, Coloplast, Marlen, cymed, and genairex. I've only tried Hollister and today for the first time coloplast. Want some opinions on the products. I use the two piece also. Thanks

The only one that works for me seems to be convatec. Coloplast fell off of me. Cymed did the same thing but that's because I was having skin issues. I am not a fan that I couldn't attach a belt to it though. Hollister worked but gave me terrible rashes. I've tried a few others but none have worked as well as convatec for me. Chimed did feel the best though as it is just so light. It's almost like wearing nothing. I just wish I wasn't allergic to adhesive and could wear it.

The only one that works for me seems to be convatec. Coloplast fell off of me. Cymed did the same thing but that's because I was having skin issues. I am not a fan that I couldn't attach a belt to it though. Hollister worked but gave me terrible rashes. I've tried a few others but none have worked as well as convatec for me. Chimed did feel the best though as it is just so light. It's almost like wearing nothing. I just wish I wasn't allergic to adhesive and could wear it.
I haven't ordered any samples from convatec or chimed I'll have to look them up. Ever since I put the coloplast on I feel like its gonna fall off. Hope it doesn't tonight!!:eek2:

annawato

Staff member
I find coloplast fall off too but others here love them, I guess it just depends on your skin. I use Welland one piece convex, or curvex. I really like their emptying system cos they have a little tab that helps you open the spout. They also have a peekaboo window so you can see whats happening. Some people like this others prefer not to see whats going on. :) I find they are rally quiet too.
The other brand I like is the Convatec two piece with the mouldable durohesive. It swells up around your stoma creating a tight seal, though I did still need to use paste. I think its called sure fit for the click on bags, or esteem synergy for the stick on bags. i prefer the security of the click on plus it lets you "burp" the bag or add more paste if necessary.
I haven't heard of the other brands you mentioned other than hollister - I did try them but it was a while ago and I can't remeber what I didn't like about them.
Convatec and Welland both have belt tabs for added security too. I use a belt and find it helps keep my stoma from retracting too much - a bit like the convex bags work I guess.
How are you getting on with everything?
:heart: anna

I had my ileostomy on Jan 11th this year two weeks later my incision got infected. My doctor put a wound vac on the infected area. That caused me to get a couple of abscesses so I had two drains put in and two weeks later two more drains put in. Fast forward to now I only have two drains and probably will be done with my wound vac next week. I haven't had any trouble with eating or with my stoma. Hopefully things are on the up and up!!

I use coloplast sensura 2 piece and they work brilliantly for me. So much better than the dansac ones I used to use.

Nyx

I also use the Coloplast SenSura 2 piece, and have for over 3 years now. I've never had a problem with them. I tried the Hollister and they fell off after only a day and I don't even have liquidy output!

Hollister doesn't work for me. My stoma is really wet and melts the baseplate. I use Coloplast Sensura one-piece and have had no problems.

Everybody is so different, though. Skin types, stoma type (long or short), stoma activity, etc., make such a difference from person to person.

Holister works best for me. I tried both Convatech and Coloplast. Neither really stuck well to my skin. I've also been using the Eatin seals which helps keep the ring and bag on.

I use Convatec 2 piece as hollister never stuck to my abdomen. I love their toll free number where you can talk to a wound care RN if you have issues with the appliance not sticking and they will send you free samples to try of their latest product.

I started with the Hollister...I found the base plate and the bag too bulky, and the bag also would 'pill' and start to look ratty after just a day.

I now use Coloplast Sensura Click 2-piece, and prefer both its shape and longevity. I change both the bag and the base plate every five days.

Good luck...try all the brands...you'll soon figure out what your body prefers.

Kismet

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Herndog, You sound like you are teling my story about the operation, infection, wound vac, I didn't have any problum eating and not much pain. Just heang in there you will get better. ALSO, if you have a chance to have a reversal DO IT> I had my ilyostomy reversed about 9 months after my resection and that was the best thing.

I'm still sampling but so far prefer coloplast. I seem to have the best luck with the sensura click. Didn't like Hollister for alot of the reasons already stated. The bag pilled horribly and they just didn't stick and I got a bit of a rash. My skin seems not to like bandaid like barriers. I had the same problem with salts products. I feel like the coloplast would stick to my skin forever. I usually get 6 days out of them and could maybe go longer but just don't for some reason. I find sometimes the coloplast barrier feels more secure the longer I wear it. It seems to stick better when it's warmed so once it's against the heat of your body it softens and bonds better.

Herndog, You sound like you are teling my story about the operation, infection, wound vac, I didn't have any problum eating and not much pain. Just heang in there you will get better. ALSO, if you have a chance to have a reversal DO IT> I had my ilyostomy reversed about 9 months after my resection and that was the best thing.
I really don't mind having the poop pouch but as soon as my doc says I can do a reversal I'm doing it!

I use Hollister Conform 2. Works good for me but because of short gut I have so much out put and its so watery I have to change daily. Trying a new base ring either by dansac or hollister and seems I can maybe get 2 days out of the base with them. Not sure yeat. I used ConvaTec with the moldable base for a while and was ok then just stopped sticking and would come off durring the night. Also their bags firlter would leak just after ½ a day of use so got very frustrated with that.

I use Hollister Conform 2. Works good for me but because of short gut I have so much out put and its so watery I have to change daily. Trying a new base ring either by dansac or hollister and seems I can maybe get 2 days out of the base with them. Not sure yeat. I used ConvaTec with the moldable base for a while and was ok then just stopped sticking and would come off durring the night. Also their bags firlter would leak just after ½ a day of use so got very frustrated with that.
Wow you have to change it daily! Doesn't that tear your skin up? I've been getting 5 days out of mine but i'm not very active right now.

Wow you have to change it daily! Doesn't that tear your skin up? I've been getting 5 days out of mine but i'm not very active right now.
Lucky for me my skin has handled it very well. But if I don't change daily the skin right around my stoma gets raw because of the corrosion of the disc. Have to say now I changed the paste that I used to use it looks better and I am hoping I may get atleast 2 days.. maybe even 3 if I have the courage to test it out. My trust in products if a bit weak. Seems that even if they stay on some other part of it will fail me and leak anyways. But with short gut I empty about 15-20 times a day.. so thats probably a couple days worth of output for a "normal" ostomy.

Still rather live my life with it then with out it. :D

annawato

Staff member
Personally I can't see the point of it, but i'm like Sanni. I have short bowel syndrome and very liquid output. I empty 10 -15 times a day and have to change my pouch every day. i guess if you changed less frequently and you had fairly formed and smelly output it could be good and could allow you to get longer from your pouch. But looks awkward to use.

annawato

Staff member
Herndog how are you finding the vac? I had one for about 12 weeks after my op. It took a while for the healing to start but once it did I was amazed at how quickly things improved with the vac. It was a nuisance to carry around though. I'd keep getting up and walking off forgetting about it and pulling it out. I was so happy to get rid of it but then developed an abscess and cellulitis. Healing has been slow since but I'm nearly there. Touchwood.

Herndog how are you finding the vac? I had one for about 12 weeks after my op. It took a while for the healing to start but once it did I was amazed at how quickly things improved with the vac. It was a nuisance to carry around though. I'd keep getting up and walking off forgetting about it and pulling it out. I was so happy to get rid of it but then developed an abscess and cellulitis. Healing has been slow since but I'm nearly there. Touchwood.
I'm hopeful that this will be my last week with it. It's doing a great job but just like you said it's a pain to carry around I won't miss it. I have a nurse come twice a week to change out the sponge, it was three times a week. I guess its up to her when I'm done with it. She said I will have to pack it with wet to moist gauze dressing and change it twice a day when I'm done with vac. But its better than carrying that vac around.

annawato

Staff member
Will the nurse not come and do the dressing for you? In Australia we have community nurses that come and do that sort of thing - all paid for by the government. Mine comes every two days at the moment.
Yes its a huge relief to get rid of the vac, but healing does slow down so keep it as long as you can.

Her dog, re the ezy clean, I use a refillable sauce/ketchup bottle filled with water to give my pouch a good clean if I think it needs it. I've been using the Eakin preform satchel to thicken output n the bag, and the water squirter makes it feel loads cleaner.

Crohn'sFor Life

Colon Free!
I love Cymed. It is very comfortable. All the other pouches fall off after a day or two.
I have tried pretty much all of the brands out there. Don't be afraid to try all the samples you can get your hands on. Sometimes you need to try product a few times before you can get a feel as to whether it works for you or not.

Good luck! It took me over 6 months to decide that Cymed was the one for me.

annawato

Staff member
You're always welcome in Australia Herndog. :)
I don't think the health system covers US citizens though. :(
But we are pretty lucky the way it is, although I think our taxes are higher than yours. I guess one way or another you pay. Good for those of us who use the health system a lot though.
Re bags: its essential to try as many samples as you can, and any you like try for awhile.

We have a great government system for ostomy supplies here, too. You pay between $50 and $65 (I think that's the most anyone pays) to join an ostomy group/association in your area and all your ordinary ostomy supplies come free. You get up to 30 bags a month, plus all sorts of other things.

I have a retracted stoma and use Coloplast Alterna in deep complexity. I tried a number of brands but I've found that their adhesive suits me best.

Nyx

We have a great government system for ostomy supplies here, too. You pay between $50 and $65 (I think that's the most anyone pays) to join an ostomy group/association in your area and all your ordinary ostomy supplies come free. You get up to 30 bags a month, plus all sorts of other things.

I have a retracted stoma and use Coloplast Alterna in deep complexity. I tried a number of brands but I've found that their adhesive suits me best.
I wish we had that here!! I pay for my supplies out of pocket since I don't have private insurance. It can get quite expensive.

For those without insurance: https://www.ostogroup.org/

That place will give you supplies at a major discount. Basically you just pay for shipping. I'm not sure about their international policies.

I was going to take all my old supplies and donate them there. I have an entire bottle unopened of stomahesive powder and a bunch of other little odds and ends. They also take monetary donations.

Nyx

For those without insurance: https://www.ostogroup.org/

That place will give you supplies at a major discount. Basically you just pay for shipping. I'm not sure about their international policies.

I was going to take all my old supplies and donate them there. I have an entire bottle unopened of stomahesive powder and a bunch of other little odds and ends. They also take monetary donations.
Thanks for the info! I'm pretty sure they wouldn't ship to Canada...but I'm going to poke around and see if I can find anything similar here.

I do get a bursary from the government for having a permanent ostomy ($600 a year) but that barely covers a few months supplies...and heaven forbid I have the flu again and go through a box of flanges in one day! Bleck! Oh well, I'm lucky that my fiance has a good job and I can afford my supplies. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have him for support :)

annawato

Staff member
How much do different things cost Nyx? I've always been curious since we get ours for free.

A box of 10 Coloplast Sensura is $90 on Amazon and can be all the way up to $300 on sites that accept insurance in the U.S. If I were to buy them locally at a pharmacy (hard to find one that has them) it would cost about $150 for 10.

Edit: My prices are for one-piece bags.

Nyx

A box of 5 flanges from Coloplast are $44.24, and a box of 10 bags are $56.66. I've never bought paste or rings or anything...I've never needed them (until recently) and I've always had luck in getting the companies to send those to me for free. I also use the colomajic liners which run me about $200 for 900 liners, which lasts about 4 to 6 months.

Normally, a box of flanges will last me about a month or so and a box of bags lasts about 3 months (I clean and reuse my bags).

annawato

Staff member
Wow, I can see that it would get very expensive very quickly if you were an ileosta and had to change every day. Although there would be incentive to risk going longer before changing. It would cost me about $500 a month if i paid. Yikes!