• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Can job offer be taken away due to absence record?

I've been informally offered a new job and they are asking about my absence record. It says in the paperwork that a formal offer of employment will be subject to a satisfactory absence record. I've been off sick for 4 and a half months total since February and I'm worried that this will be "unsatisfactory". I'm on the brink of getting diagnosed however as of now I'm still currently undiagnosed. Can they take away the job offer? I'm in the UK.

My understanding is that they're not allowed to make an offer conditional on health (or even ask about it) unless it's a role that has specific requirements.

Perhaps you just need to explain the situation.

I work for the NHS as a nurse so I guess my job does have specific requirements. I have attached a letter I wrote explaining the whole situation so hopefully they will take that into account.

Good luck! Im sure they could take the offer back.. unfortunately.. But good luck anyways and let us know what they say!

They can take it back if it's informal or even a formal offer they are really only stuck once you start and then have some protection under the disability discrimination act,when you think on it your not employed in the position but hopefully you will be.good luck all the best

In the US they are not allowed to answer those types of questions and I would imagine
to deny you a job based on that info would be a form of discrimination.

Good luck,

Lauren

Thanks guys. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens. Fingers crossed! Really need this new job because it's much closer to home and cuts my commute time down by over half.

If they use disability discrimination in the recruitment process you can indeed take them to an employment tribunal to seek redress.

Still no word yet on a start date. All my pre-employment checks have been done and my references were sent off this week. I disclosed my absence record to them about a month ago so I'm hoping no news is good news!

Guys I got a formal job offer today!!! They did phone my current job on Monday because the letter I had written explaining my whole situation didn't make its way to my new manager and they wanted an explanation for my long absences however luckily I was in work at the time and once I explained everything they said there wasn't an issue :)

Guys I got a formal job offer today!!! They did phone my current job on Monday because the letter I had written explaining my whole situation didn't make its way to my new manager and they wanted an explanation for my long absences however luckily I was in work at the time and once I explained everything they said there wasn't an issue :)
Great.

Congrats! :D:heart:

That's awesome news, congratulations on the new job:)

Started my new job just over a month ago! My new boss is sooooo flexible when it comes to my hospital appointments, the job is a lot less stressful and it's much closer to home 😊