• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Foot/leg cramps

Does anyone get these? Almost every night when I lay down, my calves and feet get crampy. I'm able to stretch it out, but then it comes back. It lasts off and on for an hour or two. It only happens at night when I first lay down.

I've always been told leg cramps were a potassium deficiency, so I pop a potassium pill if they won't let up. I don't know if I should be taking that daily or what.

I actual thought it muscle weakness from different auto immune disease I has young adult.
I know joint damage from it but.

Never heard about potassium thing, hmm.

maria

I love you God.
I usually get them when I'm driving...Sucks so bad! My husband use to keep bananas close by and shove them in my mouth when I started getting them..hmm probably so he didnt have to hear me scream but It worked I guess..lol

Restless leg syndrom? Thats my issue. I read somewhere that Crohns pts have a higher %. Possibly all the meds we take and/or not getting the right nutrition.

I had these after my ileocecectomy surgery. Ended up that I am vitamin B deficient. Now I get B injections. So far do good!

Restless leg syndrom? Thats my issue. I read somewhere that Crohns pts have a higher %. Possibly all the meds we take and/or not getting the right nutrition.
I have been having 'Restless leg syndrome' for all the time I have had Crohn's - even the ten years I was not taking medication. I have never really met anyone else who suffers from it!

Rob

I've heard so many different reasons for these leg cramps!!! I get them too and it's the worst. So painful! Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with them. Potassium or calcium deficiencies are the usual culprits. And I actually notice that when I take more calcium, they seem to let up. Maybe conduct a few of your own experiments? good luck!

Oh yea!!! I get that on occasion and it sucks!!! It's pretty bad when your body is wanting to relax but your legs wanna keep going. Restless leg syndrome is on my top 5 list of things that SUCK!!!!

Tesscorm

Staff member
I don't have crohns but do have restless leg syndrome at times! So annoying!!! My doctor said being low in iron (which I am) and water retention can contribute to restless leg syndrome...

My dad gets cramps ALL THE TIME! I used to get them when I was younger, from playing basketball so often, but they've recently subsided.

The doctor told my dad that the reason why he's been getting cramp is a combination of his wine drinking, running and liver problems. He's tried everything from drinking gatorade for the electrolytes to trying to get more sleep, but no matter he still gets them!

My dad gets cramps ALL THE TIME! I used to get them when I was younger, from playing basketball so often, but they've recently subsided.

The doctor told my dad that the reason why he's been getting cramp is a combination of his wine drinking, running and liver problems. He's tried everything from drinking gatorade for the electrolytes to trying to get more sleep, but no matter he still gets them!
Yes it is all very frustrating as there is no one particular cause or remedy. I often just go out for a quick walk!

After suffering I found something that seems to work for me
Magnesium supplements, Potassium, and Vitamin D It took a while of reading various websites, but it works.

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
I had "Resless legs" so bad up until about 7 years ago. I had it for about 15 years, mostly at night, but I could be laying down watching TV and my legs would jurk about every min or so. But most of the time it was at night, just as I was almost asleep, you know, in that I'm not sleeping yet but I kinda am. and my legs would jurk and wake me up. Sometimes this would last for hours and I wouldn't get much sleep at all and the next day at work have a hard time staying awake. I did ALL KINDS of reserch on it and it like crohns in they way that they don't know the cause. Well after years I went to my Dr. and said "you have to do something about this. He gave me a RX for some meds that were made just for Ressless legs, but it cost $195.00 a month. I did more reserch on the net and found that they can also treat it with "Klonopin" now don't say "more pills or dope yet." only 1/2mg before bed time and after years of this it was GONE. Like someone turned off a switch. I take 1mg at bedtime now and have been for years and it has never come back. I know thats the last thing we want to do is start taking "BENZOIDS" but if you had it as bad as I did, you would consider it. Just don't take anymore than that. thay are very adictive. I have not had the urge to take more than just the 1mg at bedtime so I say, what the heek, I'm 61 years old and sleep like a baby now and have been for years. In regards to leg and foot cramps, if you take pain meds like Norco "AS NEEDED" and you have taken them for a week or so and then stop or cut back by 1/2 this can make you have cramps. I have to take Norco for spine issues and when I cut back I ALWAYS get leg cramps , really bad sometimes. I don't need pain meds for crohns now but there was a time when I did. Good luck, and thank you for all your input on this.
Pops

I often get leg cramps...especially when I am sitting even for 5 minutes or less..its so annoying...I have to stand up and sometimes and massage the calf muscles...but it goes away instantly.

I am gona try bananas now...I hope it works for me , just like it does for maria :banana: