• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Swollen Gland?

I realize that a swollen gland can mean lots of common and innocuous things, especially in a person who is immunosuppressed, but...

My 15 year old has been on a combo of Remicade + 6mp and has had a swollen gland on the left side of her neck for about a week. We took her to the pediatrician yesterday and after a negative rapid strep test, they told us to come back in 3 days if the glad isn't smaller.

The glad did get much smaller after the first day that she noticed it, but after that, it seems to be the same size to me (though she thinks it's getting smaller). They took measurements in the ped's office.

No other symptoms. Has this ever happened to your kid? How long did it take to go away? Did they ultimately diagnosis a virus? (They mentioned mono as a possibility). Please tell me about it!

A has lymph nodes behind her ear that stay swollen. They've been infected twice. When they're infected they're red, hot, extremely large, and very painful. When they're just inflamed they're slightly pink and only mildly uncomfortable when touched. As long as they're able to be moved the doctor isn't concerned.

A has lymph nodes behind her ear that stay swollen. They've been infected twice. When they're infected they're red, hot, extremely large, and very painful. When they're just inflamed they're slightly pink and only mildly uncomfortable when touched. As long as they're able to be moved the doctor isn't concerned.
Thank you for responding! At her doctor's appointment, they told her that they would only really be concerned if the node was red/hot/painful. It's not. It's slightly sore to the touch - but not pink/red at all. So it's not likely an infection, I suppose....

my little penguin

Staff member
You do need to let your Gi know
That was the one who ordered the tests not Ped
They are the experts in biologics /immunosupression

Dancemom when your dd lymph nodes were swollen was she still on immunosuppressants at that time or the ivig to boost her immune system ???

QUOTE]

Thanks, MLP. I let the GI know the very day we noticed it. She said that if it was still swollen in a week to see the Ped., which is what we did. I emailed the GI today to let her know what the Ped. said. We also got a brand new (very young) ped, so that was not reassuring.

Would like to hear other thoughts as well.

My son has always had reactive nodes in his neck. Most often under his jaw. His are most reactive when allergy season is in full swing. It's never been infection.

Since starting biologics he has had several occasions where the node on his neck (usually right side) gets swollen. It's a bit tender to the touch and each time we've alerted GI and went to GP. The first two times it took about 3 weeks for it to be completely normal. The last couple times it only lasted several days. The GP never really seemed concerned because the nod was pliable (I think that's the word he used) and movable.

On a semi-related note I have a reactive node in my neck that for the past two years swells and is tender to the touch and with movement of my neck. My GP has seen it several times and always checks for infection but isn't concerned. This last time my breast oncologist(never had cancer but from a young age my breasts were extremely fibrocystic so I've always done my mammos with this oncologist) also got the chance to feel it and wasn't concerned either because it was movable and changed sizes.

Hope some of this is of some help.

Dancemom when your dd lymph nodes were swollen was she still on immunosuppressants at that time or the ivig to boost her immune system ???
Both times it has been infected she's been on IVIG. It was infected just last month actually. It responded very well to antibiotics but remains enlarged.

My son has always had reactive nodes in his neck. Most often under his jaw. His are most reactive when allergy season is in full swing. It's never been infection.

Since starting biologics he has had several occasions where the node on his neck (usually right side) gets swollen. It's a bit tender to the touch and each time we've alerted GI and went to GP. The first two times it took about 3 weeks for it to be completely normal. The last couple times it only lasted several days. The GP never really seemed concerned because the nod was pliable (I think that's the word he used) and movable.

On a semi-related note I have a reactive node in my neck that for the past two years swells and is tender to the touch and with movement of my neck. My GP has seen it several times and always checks for infection but isn't concerned. This last time my breast oncologist(never had cancer but from a young age my breasts were extremely fibrocystic so I've always done my mammos with this oncologist) also got the chance to feel it and wasn't concerned either because it was movable and changed sizes.

Hope some of this is of some help.
VERY reassuring, thanks, Clash! Thought about allergies, but she's never had any (not that they can't develop). But interesting about your reactive node as well. Thank so much!

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
My Dr, on 6MP had lots of tonsillitis and resultant swollen glands until she got her tonsils taken out the first year on 6MP. Now her lymph problem for the past year has been her swollen left leg. Viruses can make the neck glands swell, also consider sinus infection if only on one side - when they sleep on one side predominantly it can do that. I did have a patient once (a child) who had a mycobacterium (not TB) infection in his neck gland. It got really big overnight.

My Dr, on 6MP had lots of tonsillitis and resultant swollen glands until she got her tonsils taken out the first year on 6MP. Now her lymph problem for the past year has been her swollen left leg. Viruses can make the neck glands swell, also consider sinus infection if only on one side - when they sleep on one side predominantly it can do that. I did have a patient once (a child) who had a mycobacterium (not TB) infection in his neck gland. It got really big overnight.
Thanks Carolin - Interesting!

Update: Swelling may have gone down slightly, but I'm not sure. Still no other symptoms except now, lower back pain. But I think this is likely unrelated and more so due to band camp that started this week! (PSA: don't Google "swollen lymph node in neck & lower back pain". Ugh!).

Going for bloodwork (routine CBC + mono test) tomorrow.

Appreciate more thoughts - especially talking me down after that dreaded google search!

CarolinAlaska

Holding It Together
Update: Swelling may have gone down slightly, but I'm not sure. Still no other symptoms except now, lower back pain. But I think this is likely unrelated and more so due to band camp that started this week! (PSA: don't Google "swollen lymph node in neck & lower back pain". Ugh!).

Going for bloodwork (routine CBC + mono test) tomorrow.

Appreciate more thoughts - especially talking me down after that dreaded google search!
Oh yes, Dr Google is not a friend. These are just unrelated minor problems that will work themselves out. It is good to stay on top of them, but in all likelihood, they are not serious.