Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support

12-07-2013, 04:04 AM   #271
Tantija

Taking too many painkillers etc. The past couple of days I mostly stuck with chicken soup and apple sauce and have seen some improvement. Any tips from the experts would be welcome!
As a side note, I thankfully lead a full life which can be quite stressful at times, currently my stress level is quite high, hoping that is the only cause of all this stomach ache.
Thanks guys
Hi, for me stress is a key I even have changed my job from very stressful to less. Also I do not use any painkillers as they all upset my stomach. When I have my outbreaks it has to be combination of stress and difficult digesting food. In this case I have spasms like I want to die so I have to drink spasm releasing pills.
SCD Diet since December 2011
B12 one injection in 3 month
Vitamin D, Zinc
Medication free
12-07-2013, 04:16 AM   #272
Tantija

Glad you got some benefit from doing some of the diet, but you might be surprised at the effect of tiny amounts of grain [1]

By the way, I'm human too, and i didn't eat any cereal or grain for almost two years with no drama at all. (paleo not SCD)
Now i have modified my diet to include white rice as it is not toxic like wheat and corn

[1]Coeliacs can show symptoms from as little as 1/233,333th of a slice of bread per day, and intestinal damage from as little as 1/8,750th of a slice of bread per day
http://celiacdisease.about.com/od/Pr...ke-Me-Sick.htm
Hi, I am 100% SCD, no grains, no sugar or starch....So is there a lifetime diet?
12-07-2013, 05:12 AM   #273
hugh

My Support Groups:
So is there a lifetime diet?
every now and then i crave hot toast dripping with butter, but it passes,
here's what i'm aiming for (lifetime wise)
http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/
12-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #274
wildbill_52280

Hi, what do you call pasteurisation then? Pasteurisation is a process of heating food what I do. More of that it is already pasteurized when you buy it the store. I do not think that my yogurt is more dangerous than yours To be honest I really doubt that yougurt continue fermenting in the fridge, it is getting off in my opinion. But if it works for you it's fine.
P.S. Have checked Elaine's book. Page 155 Yogurt, there is no mentioning any pasteurisation, you heat the milk and then you cool it to 20-25C. This is it.
srry, i was a little tired when i wrote that i guess. haha.
12-28-2013, 09:22 AM   #275
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
How do you do this diet and not lose so much weight?
12-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #276
Tantija

How do you do this diet and not lose so much weight?
Hi, I am actually putting on weight very easily since the diet (my weight is 66 kg now with height of 164 cm). I lost quite a lot of weight only first month. I guess because body is not tired with fighting the inflammation and diet itself is high in calories. If you are interested I can give you an example:

During work days:
Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, cup of yogurt, tea with lemon and honey at 7 am.
2 tangerines at 10 am.
12:30 lunch: oven roasted chicken leg or veal with salad (i can only eat lettuce what used for Cesar salad, no other leaf salads), tomatoes and cucumber; tea with honey
14:30 cup of my yogurt
16:00 dry dates (only Israel or California medjool as they are not as dry and easy to digest) or banana
19:00 2 peeled pears; tea with honey and 2 slices of nut bread with butter ( they are quite small, about 1/4 of the slice of the normal bread)

During weekend I eat less as have my breakfast later. I prefer to eat fish weekends. I ate more nut bread at the first year of the diet and eat it less now. I eat more yogurt now. I make yogurt every 2-3 days.
12-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #277
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
Hi, I am actually putting on weight very easily since the diet (my weight is 66 kg now with height of 164 cm). I lost quite a lot of weight only first month. I guess because body is not tired with fighting the inflammation and diet itself is high in calories. If you are interested I can give you an example:

During work days:
Breakfast: 3 scrambled eggs, cup of yogurt, tea with lemon and honey at 7 am.
2 tangerines at 10 am.
12:30 lunch: oven roasted chicken leg or veal with salad (i can only eat lettuce what used for Cesar salad, no other leaf salads), tomatoes and cucumber; tea with honey
14:30 cup of my yogurt
16:00 dry dates (only Israel or California medjool as they are not as dry and easy to digest) or banana
19:00 2 peeled pears; tea with honey and 2 slices of nut bread with butter ( they are quite small, about 1/4 of the slice of the normal bread)

During weekend I eat less as have my breakfast later. I prefer to eat fish weekends. I ate more nut bread at the first year of the diet and eat it less now. I eat more yogurt now. I make yogurt every 2-3 days.
Thank you for this.

I did this diet in college and was able to get off meds for 4 months, but I ended up failing and eating bread again, subsequently getting sick again, and going back on Remicade. I also lost a ton of weight and I'm already skinny. After 10 years of getting Remicade, it's finally starting to not really have an effect on me. Honestly, there is nothing else but this. It's either prednisone, or this. And I swore last time I got off prednisone that I was never going back on. It's not a long term solution anyway. I think I have an advantage now because I've done it before and I know what to expect. I just have a problem because I work, and I'm not a great cook.

I'm looking at starting back onto a type of SCD diet. Maybe not exactly, but close. Definitely eliminating all grains. Eggs bother me, although I haven't had them in a few years.

I'm thinking, to start off.

Breakfast: Cup of Kidney Beans, Banana
Mid Lunch: Cup of Sunflower seeds/nuts
Lunch: Lean meat (sausage or fish), a fruit, 1 piece of cheese (maybe)
Afternoon: Another cup of nuts
Dinner: Meat (sausage or fish), some type of salad, stew, or soup, with fresh vegetables
After dinner: Fruit/Nuts/Beans

I think something like this would prevent me from losing a ton of weight. As long as I can keep eating throughout the day.
12-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #278
Tantija

Hi. I eat almost the same food every day. I forgot baked apples to include in my weekend meals. But this does not bother me. I look at the food as at the energy source only. When i started diet 2 years ago i have given away all illegal food from the house i was afraid i could broke and eat something from it. But now it does not bother me anymore. I cook separately to myself and my boyfriend sometimes. I am working full time also. In the morning i just put 2 chicken legs in the oven and by the time i am ready to leave house i have lunch for 2 days. I love cooking in the oven. I am quite lazy and all you need is to put food inside. You do not have to spend much time with food and u can do something else while it's cooking. Legumes are full of starch, so i do not think it is good idea to eat them. Also please be careful with nuts. Firstly they are fatty and u can end up with the fatty liver as myself. Also i have noticed that my D. was worse with nuts. I have not seen yogurt in your diet. Please believe me that it's really really helps. It does not take so much time. Baking nut bread takes 10 minutes of preparation, making yogurt takes 3 minutes. Also bone stock really helps to heal intestines. This is what I read. I do not know if it's true but i fell that my body needs it. I always listen to my body.
01-04-2014, 11:14 PM   #279
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
I'm not doing hardcore SCD, I've just been staying away all grains/dairy for about the past 3-4 days. I'm really just changing my diet for good. I have pretty much kept the beans to a minimum also.

I've already noticed a few things. Energy level is better. I haven't even needed coffee the past couple days. My energy level has been way better. And it doesn't smell like death when I go to the bathroom anymore. 2 positives.

One con is when I go to the bathroom, it's literally pouring out of me . But, that is to be expected. This is my 2nd time doing a diet like this. Same thing happened the first go around. My body is just trying to adjust to a new way of eating.
02-16-2014, 11:48 PM   #280
Deucewarrior

Can you eat chicken with chicken broth that is injected into most chicken these days? If not, where can you find chicken that has no broth injected?
02-17-2014, 12:00 AM   #281
durwardian

You can get "green" chicken at whole foods or Trader Joe if you have any natural grocery there?
05-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #282
Lightblb

My Support Groups:
I've been SCD for the last 1 1/2 years. I have to say it has helped me, but right now I am in a flare.
I cook all the time. And no, chickens from Costco etc are not "safe" on SCD because they are injected with modified food starch and sugar. Why put sugars in a chicken??? It is very hard to find/afford real food in the USA.
05-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #283
Tantija

One con is when I go to the bathroom, it's literally pouring out of me . But, that is to be expected. This is my 2nd time doing a diet like this. Same thing happened the first go around. My body is just trying to adjust to a new way of eating.
I am on a strict diet from December 2011 and had D. problems for a long time even with the diet. I started to eat ripe bananas for the last 6 months and have to say that it did change my bathroom rutine. It looks like bananas stuff your guts like a cotton so you do not run to the bathroom a lot.
05-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #284
Tantija

Can you eat chicken with chicken broth that is injected into most chicken these days? If not, where can you find chicken that has no broth injected?
HI, I have to say I did not know that chicken is injected. It is new for me. Do not have problems eating chicken? Have to do research on UK chicken. Thaks.

Last edited by Tantija; 05-17-2014 at 02:09 AM.
05-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #285
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
I started to eat ripe bananas for the last 6 months and have to say that it did change my bathroom rutine. It looks like bananas stuff your guts like a cotton so you do not run to the bathroom a lot.
Well, they are the right shape.
05-16-2014, 06:51 PM   #286
Poppysocks

My Support Groups:
You can get "green" chicken at whole foods or Trader Joe if you have any natural grocery there?
What do you mean chicken that has been injected? Do you mean The skinless chicken tenderloins I buy at publix have starch fillers in them or something.
05-17-2014, 02:12 AM   #287
Tantija

Good day, I went to see my doctor last Monday for the routine check. He was so excited to see me He said that he tells everyone about me and the diet. It is nice to know that his attitude towards SCD diet has change so much since I told him about it.
05-17-2014, 02:22 AM   #288
Tantija

[QUOTE=Poppysocks;735856]
I've already noticed a few things. Energy level is better. I haven't even needed coffee the past couple days. My energy level has been way better. [QUOTE]
I cannot drink coffee at all, it really upset my intestines. I do not drink coffee probably from 1998. I also have noticed that alcohol is not good for me. My last glass of red wine was in May 2011.
05-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #289
partlycloudy

My Support Groups:
What do you mean chicken that has been injected? Do you mean The skinless chicken tenderloins I buy at publix have starch fillers in them or something.
A lot of meat is injected with "broth" and/or "natural flavors" both of which almost always include sugar.
07-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #290
AlmostClassy

New to this thing, but read most of this specific thread. My SO has Crohn's. He was diagnosed in 2004 at 6 years old with two surgeries. When he was first diagnosed, and as a young teen his father had him on this SCD diet, and he had great results. Unfortunately his father isn't around for me to ask him any questions about it, and my SO didn't prepare any of his meals, so he's kind of useless for me to ask too (other than what affects him and what doesn't). He's not on any medications at the moment, as nothing has helped. As of lately, he hasn't been doing well at all. It's starting to affect his work, and I'm interested in reintroducing him to this diet. His only concern (and mine) is he eats a LOT (We can go out for dinner, and he will be ready for another dinner as we're walking out the door).... What on earth can I always have readily available for him (in warehouse quantities) to snack on that will be filling? He has a hard time maintaining and putting on weight, with a hollow leg to boot (I am a bit jealous).
07-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #291
Tantija

His only concern (and mine) is he eats a LOT (We can go out for dinner, and he will be ready for another dinner as we're walking out the door).... What on earth can I always have readily available for him (in warehouse quantities) to snack on that will be filling? He has a hard time maintaining and putting on weight, with a hollow leg to boot (I am a bit jealous).
Hi, I do understand your concerns as I am almost all the time hungry myself even you could not call me skinny. My weight is 66kg with 164 sm height and I am woman so definattely I eat less than a guy. I have nuts, fruits, nut bread with smoked salmon, smoked chicken, goat cheese, baked apples, yogurt. Everything I tested over this time and do not have any simptoms.
09-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #292
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi Guys,

Im starting SCD diet. Wondering about the Yoghurt which I want to make.

What kind of starter do you use

Does Helen Gotchall recommends some brands?

Is GIprohealth the only one?

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
10-01-2014, 12:54 AM   #293
Tantija

Hi Guys,

Im starting SCD diet. Wondering about the Yoghurt which I want to make.

What kind of starter do you use

Does Helen Gotchall recommends some brands?

Is GIprohealth the only one?
Hi, I use Yogourmet. I am very excited for you Good things will happen But I think it will be hard for you as a vegan.
10-01-2014, 07:54 AM   #294
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thx Tantija,

I forgot to mention here that im looking for culture starter without milk ingredient inside, as Im going to do nut yogurt.

For the sake of trying the SCD, im eating wild cold water boiled fish at this time (macquarel and artic char, rich in omega3 oil). Farmed fish are fed with GMO corn.
10-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #295
Tantija

Hi, I started from almond milk yogurt and I was doing it myself but after sometime I decided to try milk one and to be honest really like it. I eat it twice a day: in the morning and take to work as snack. Main point is to keep fermentation for 24 hours at the correct temperature so bacteria eats all lactose. Regarding the fish… I try to eat wild but even so…do not think it is very healthy any longer. My boyfriend does not eat macquarel he says that it has higher levels of mercury.
10-02-2014, 05:48 AM   #296
luckoftheirish

hi
I've been trying to get into the SCD diet over the last few weeks however some of the main foods (dairy of any sort, honey, nut flours, eggs, honey, coconut (oil, flour or milk)) just don't working for me and result in worsening of symptoms. On the other had some of the illegal foods including starchy foods like white rice and potatoes are fine in moderation. Also some gluten free breads work fine.

I've read that starving the body of starchy carbs will starve both the bad and good bacteria (not beneficial) and that trying to get a balance between these may require more grains for some people, less grains for others etc.

Should i be sticking with this diet and is there any way to get a test which indicates the state of bacteria in the gut? Or are there any blood tests i can take when i eat certain foods to indicate if they are problematic or not (this is probably more science fiction that reality!)

What are peoples thoughts?
10-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #297
Tantija

Hi, sorry, no idea. I guess SCD does not work for everyone.
08-07-2015, 05:03 PM   #298
Joćo

My Support Groups:
Hello!

I started three days ago eliminating all ilegal food according to the SCD. I used to eat many grains and potatoes, wich I think was most of my energy source. I start the diet eating fish, green beans, carrots, beets, pumpkin and eggplant. Today I'm feeling waek and unfocused, but I noticed a little good change in my stools (2 BMs). I think I lost some weight, but it may be just my psychological state. In the next few days I'll introduce avocadoes, nuts, ripe bananas, baked apples, honey and butter. I'm too skinny (62kg and 176cm) to test all foods with caution, so I hope it works well. If it doesn't, I will give a full try when I take short-course of pred.

Wish you all best of luck!
08-08-2015, 05:51 AM   #299
Tantija

Hello, i wish you all the best and some patience as you will not see the results in few days and will feel weak for the next 3 months. I suggest you to try the diet for 3 month and then decide if it suitable for you. I lost quite a lot of weight when I started the diet but now still on the diet I have to watch myself as i am gaining weight very easy. It is quite a stress for the body when you suddenly stop eating carbohydrates so give it some time to get used to it. Of course it depends on your condition but I would not rush with the nuts as they are difficult to digest. Also nuts are heavy for the liver so be careful. I strongly suggest to make your own SCD yogurt. I make my all the time. I have 3 containers and have non stop yogurt manufacturing process Firstly it does help the healing and secondly with such limited diet yogurt is one more product on your table. Good luck and please do not hesitate to ask any questions.
08-08-2015, 09:36 AM   #300
Joćo

My Support Groups:
Hello guys.

Bad news. Yesterday, after a week without complex carbohydrates, I had a breakdown. I went to the hospital with a sick suddenly. My heart was beating too fast and my body shaking with headache and extreme weakness throughout all the day.

The doctor said it was the sum of mental stress with physical stress. Abrupt withdrawal of carbohydrates can cause many effects on the body if you're not relaxed and stress-free.

Unfortunately, I have to abort the diet for a while. I definitely believe that it works (it was 4 months since I had seen formed stool). In a week I went to the bathroom less and made less acidic stools.

But on the other hand, I lost precious 2kg. I wonder now how long will take to get them back!

Surely I will give a new chance to diet when I'm in better condition. I have a colonoscopy to do soon and can not be rickety. Sorry for the bad news. I feel horrible to share the experience because I don't want to discourage anyone.

If you are well, do the diet. surely helps. In my case, it will have to wait.

See you soon!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » SCD and Paleo Diets » Specific Carbohydrate Diet Support