Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Anyone else get anal leakage?

02-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
ibdoer

Anyone else get anal leakage?

Hey guys. I've been having anal leakage for about 6 months now. My BM's are pretty solid (1-2 a day) but after a BM I get this leakage every time. I have to go back to the bathroom and wipe 2-3 times after a BM until it subsides. Some days its not bad at all, some days its worse.
The only time I get relief is after a shower or if I take a nice sitz bath. Then I'm good till the next BM.
I do have inflammation in my rectum and mild erythema(inflammation) in my anal canal, plus some roids here and there, but this leakage is annoying and it makes my anal area burn after a while.
My doctor really had nothing to say about it. Anyone else have this issue or any ideas about it? Its really annoying.

PS - He checked around my opening but found nothing. Says my sphincter muscle is good. What is it? Could it be a fistula inside my anal opening?
02-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm also struggling with the same problem. Just another bonus from this disease-not bad enough to put you to bed, but unpleasant and disgusting.
I don't have any fistulas, but I do have pretty large skin tags. My doc says it's from inflammation in the rectum. He usually prescribes Cortifoam or Rowasa enemas and it'll bring relief for a while. Maybe you can try them, see if they help.
Also, for topical relief, Calmoseptine is the greatest stuff Ever. for this problem. It comes in a large tube for about $7. You can get it from the drugstore and Walmart but it's behind the pharmacist's counter so you have to ask for it. and worth every penny. An extra bonus is the hilarious expression on the pharmacy tech's face when you tell them you want TWO! LOL.
Seriously I hope this brings you some relief, and if I find anything else I'll definitely PM you.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
02-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #3
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
I was going to suggest the Calmoseptine as well.....I just make sure I wipe with a baby wipe and keep it clean...A nice dallop of Calomoseptine really provides a great barrier afterward...Where are you from ibdoer? You can also find it on Amazon.
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
orchard archer

Hi, I Hope this helps?
I had Hemorrhoids removed about 10 years ago. RELIEF!
My GP said he thought I have, Prolapsed Hemorrhoids.
Look it up on GOOGLE, you will know if it is it!
There are Steroid suppositories.
They can really suck, Leakage, Sometimes have to push em in.
They don't like to Remove em Unless you are Miserable! Cause of Crohn's.
Odd you put this posting up today.
I been waiting for surgeon to call with an appointment.
Wish u well.
02-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Captainplanet4

I had something like this happen to me too! I had fissure tho, but still it was a mucus like substance that would drip all day long and smelled terrible. Is your butt more itchy than normal? Anyways I told the GP about it... it finally went away when I switched medications!
02-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #6
can1991

I am similar to you also. I do have an anal fistula, so sometimes it is hard to determine what is leaking, my butt or fistula. It is very annoying! I go to the bathroom alot just to wipe. I have a sitz bath every day. I see my GI this Thursday!

Diagnosed May 2009
Imuran 150 mg daily
Humira 40 mg weekly
Prednisone 25 mg and tapering weekly
Calcium Carbonate 500 mg x2 daily
1000 iu Vit D
Multi Vitamin
02-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
orchard archer

I see it can be more than my experience.
Alway's something to learn.
I see from captain it can possibly go away with medication.
Sounds good to me!
02-22-2010, 04:01 AM   #8
merrywidow
mum with a dogdy tum

is the leakage poo or mucus? mucus is normal and excess mucus is because the bowel is inflamed. if the mucus is bad, then you could put a panty liner in your underwear.

fred (stoma) was born on sept 10th 2003

life is like a loo roll, the nearer to the end you get the faster it goes.

memories are what makes life, life is what makes memories, make them good

sharon x
02-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #9
ibdoer

Thanks fpr all your help guys. I HATE leakage. I have already picked up some Calmoseptine. It really is great stuff. But I'm trying to kick this leakage.
For the most part, I think my leakage is poo, after the 2nd wipe it turns to a light yellow and then it stops. But I'm guaranteed leakage after a BM. NASTY!
That is what is causing the most problems. It leaks, then starts to burn and itch. By the time I'm better, its time for a BM. Its a vicious cycle.
02-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
Cookie

This is a problem for me too. It really started AFTER my last surgery to repair a fistula. I thought maybe my fistula re-routed itself or something, by my surgeon said it's from having crohn's in my rectum and is normal for someone with Crohn's. Pretty much said "deal with it", or at least that's how i took it. I wear a panty liner everyday, but I think the odor is the worst part. Sorry to hear you are having this problem... you are definitely not alone.
01-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #11
taxdaycrohnie

My Support Groups:
I'm having this problem now too. Using liners but what to do about the odor? I am incredibly self conscious about it.
01-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #12
guest9933

In the same boat here I wear adult diapers when I go out or at night I wear them as I leak in my sleep grrr so over it
02-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
Lisay1965

I was going to suggest the Calmoseptine as well.....I just make sure I wipe with a baby wipe and keep it clean...A nice dallop of Calomoseptine really provides a great barrier afterward...Where are you from ibdoer? You can also find it on Amazon.
what does this stuff do exactly? how does it help
03-14-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
KarenO

Gosh, I'm having a nightmare-ish time with leakage! It is mostly poo for me from what I see. My Doctor gave me suppositories then Flagyl (in case it's abcess, fistula) but the improvements are slim.

It always happens after a BM and lasts for a few hours afterward, bath's, showers, help but not enough on a busy day. I have no idea on what to do about the smell...I've been using womens scented wipes and placing them against my bum to stop odor but this can't be the only fix, and definitely not the solution.

I go back to my Dr in a few weeks
03-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #15
2thFairy

My Support Groups:
what does this stuff do exactly? how does it help
Calmoseptine is GREAT for butt burn and itch. Veeeeery soothing.

It won't do anything for leakage, but is great for sore skin.

Total colectomy with ileostomy featuring Sideshow Bob since January 2012

"The colon seems an unlikely candidate for dramatic effect, but now and then it serves that purpose well." The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
03-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #16
Cookie

I opened up this thread because I struggle with this issue too. I was reading through it and realized I commented on it LAST February. It's hard to believe I have been dealing witht his for well over a year. It's amazing what we learn to tolerate as "normal" isn't it?

Sorry I have no advice either. Just the normal panty-liner and Calmoseptine advice. My doctors don't seem to want to be bothered with this issue either...just something lese we need to learn to live with...ugh!
03-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
yup...I deal with it on a daily basis - I know I have loss of sphincter/muscle tome which I am sure doesn't help.....Iwill go in the morning usually, and am STILL cleaning up during the day...some days worse than others...AND I am in remission! Just something I have learned to live with...and not as bad as what I have been through in the past!

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
04-14-2012, 04:15 PM   #18
hurla31

I have anal leakage as well. It is always mucous and/or blood never poo. It doesn't smell either. I do have an abscess and fistula in my left butt cheek, but i didn't really think it was related. The weirdest thing of all is i don't usually leak while im standing, its always in sitting position. I can literally feel it leak out of me, with no control over it. My sphincter muscles are totally fine, and i usually have 2 reg bm a day, no diarrhea.I use pantyliners to keep everything clean, but its really annoying to have to run to the washroom after sitting....anyone else have this happen to them?
04-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #19
KarenO

I Finally had my Doctor's appointment with my G.I. to get to the bottom of this leakage problem. He seemed VERY concerned and scheduled a colonoscopy for this Wednesday. He said that it might be the Crohns, and he said he thinks he can fix the problem but needs to see whats going on. I really hope that he can fix my bum lol. I'll be sure to post any new info!

As for Hurla, My doctor thought that the leakage was from an anal fissure/fistula/abscess, but my rectal exam was pretty normal as well as the muscles there. So he thinks there might be one somewhere else. Were trying to avoid cat scans since I've had so much radiation, so I'm having the colonoscopy done. Anyway, based on what my doctor said to me and based in his questions about my leakage, I would say that your leakage problem is very likely related to abscess/fistula that you have. If I were you I'd consult my G.I. about the problem. At first I was too embarrassed but now I'm glad I did because I now have some hope to feel normal again.
04-14-2012, 11:57 PM   #20
Leebie3

oh meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! It's so embarrassing.. I feel like a teenager getting my period all over again and sneaking my pants into the wash so no one knows LOL
04-15-2012, 12:08 AM   #21
KarenO

oh meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! It's so embarrassing.. I feel like a teenager getting my period all over again and sneaking my pants into the wash so no one knows LOL
I too feel like a teenager, once again mortified of my body. Like we didn't go through that enough!?
04-16-2012, 04:31 AM   #22
Donnyor

I was first diagnosed with Crohn's early in 1966. I had three operations for anal fistulas; the last one was in 1976 and necessitated cutting through the anal sphincter muscle; obviously since then I have had no bowel control and consequently have had many "accidents." I visit the toilet on average8-12 times a day and have almost constant soreness, but I have learned to live with it over the 46 years.
04-16-2012, 04:47 AM   #23
Bld

I have a large fissure and when my flare is really bad at night I leak clear mucus/fluid.

Current meds:

6MP = 50mg/day
Pentasa 4 x 1mg/day
Ferrous Sulfate 3 x 200mg/day
Omaprazole
04-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #24
Donnyor

Obviously my leakage is poo.
04-16-2012, 05:10 PM   #25
hurla31

Thanks KarenO, I will def talk to my GI about it again...feeling a little hope now!
04-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #26
KarenO

Sorry about your incontinence Bld
05-15-2012, 01:04 AM   #27
Frank Snot

Perhaps the only cure for anal leakage is the Specific Carbohydrate Diet outlined by Elaine Gottschall in her book "Breaking the Vicious Cycle." In my case though, my busy daily life does not permit such a demanding diet so I do not even consider it.

If you are like me, the only treatment for anal leakage is psyllium husk powder drink. The psyllium husk particles absorb the liquid excreted inside the intestines into the bowels. This eliminates most of the leakage from the anus.

A number of brands are available.

I always use 100% psyllium husk powder, without chemical additives. It is probably wise to avoid the types with artificial flavouring, artificial colouring, artificial sweetener, bleaching agents, chemical mixing agents, or such other fluff. (According to Elaine Gottschall, such additives are damaging our intestines.)

I recommend Vitacost Psyllium Husk Powder. It is premium quality. It is also the cheapest. Much, much cheaper than Metamucil.

In addition, calcium plus vitamin D also helps a little.
06-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #28
Freddy92

I have the same problem with the yellow leakage. It is embarrassing having it at work. I feel like I can't stand close to someone. I keep baby powder in my locker. If it gets out of hand I wipe and put some baby powder. That helps in severe cases. It is a pain in the ***. Anyway, I think most of the problem comes from stress. A couple of years ago I had the whole rectal exam with camera and everything. They found nothing. Again , I think it is stress or diet soda I am not sure. I hope this info. helps someone. Freddy
06-19-2012, 03:55 AM   #29
KJS

I too get faecal leakage after a runny BM.I keep baby wipes in bathroom and use petroleum jelly on toilet paper to wipe when it too sore.And yep it really burns.haven't noticed odour though.
06-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #30
Frank Snot

To Freddy92 and KJS above:

Yeah, rectal inflammation stings like hell. I know that first hand.

The anal leakage is not caused by stress. It is caused by an intestinal reaction to certain complex carbohydrates when certain harmful florae have accumulated in the intestines.

Chemicals added to food and drink during processing are thought to bring on the harmful florae, so diet soda or any other drink loaded with chemical additives might be harmful.

But there's no need to suffer. Simply stop the anal leakage, which causes the inflammation. Then you can throw away your baby powder and petroleum jelly.

Last edited by Frank Snot; 06-20-2012 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Correction

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Anyone else get anal leakage?