Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Showering with your stoma

02-03-2014, 05:37 PM   #1
AussieMumma

Showering with your stoma

Hi all,
I'm not sure if this is a really silly Q, but I will ask anyway!
When you shower, do you shower with your pouch on or off? I have been showering with it on and obviously the bag and wafer gets wet (especially the wafer), making my clothes a little wet as well. It's nothing major, but I am just trying to work out the best system for showering/ bag changes etc.
Do you dry your wafer/ bag? If so, what's the best way?
Thanks!
02-03-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I shower without the bag on whenever possible because I like to clean the area fully. This can't be done daily so I have to also shower with the bag.

When I shower with the bag I wrap my towel below and above it and press around to dry and then use my blow dryer.
02-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
MicheleM

My Support Groups:
Hi Aussi Mumma, My wafer is a Convatec Natura flexible wafer with a flexible collar. The pouch is Convatec Natura drainable pouch with a collar that snaps onto the wafer collar. It is like snapping on the lid to a plastic food storage container. I shower with the whole thing and dry it all with a towel. Sometimes the pouch still has a bit of moisture clinging to it, but I usually don't have any problems with wet clothes. The wafer never loosens with moisture and seems to dry fairly quickly. Perhaps your brand of wafer absorbs water a bit more than mine. I hope this helps. PS. I've been using this brand of appliance for many, many years.
02-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #4
AussieMumma

If I shower without the bag on, the water from the shower isn't going to ruin the wafer or make it loosen or anything will it? I'd like to give that area a good clean as well while I'm showering if possible!
02-03-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Well, a shower shouldn't interfere with it too much. Yes, it will peel a bit on the sides sometimes but if you dry up well you should be fine. If it peels too much you can tape the borders with skin safe medical tape.
02-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #6
AussieMumma

Thanks! Funny all these little things that I need to figure out. Thank god for this forum!
02-03-2014, 06:23 PM   #7
Absentminded
Forum Monitor

I used to use two piece bags so that when I had a shower, once I'd dried myself off as best I could, I would just clip on a new dry bag.
You'll find what suits you best pretty quickly :-)

Diagnosed: July 2009

Resection and removal of Enterocutaneous Fistula: Jan 2014
Pelvic infection Drainage: April 2013
Ileostomy reversal: February 2013
Ileocecal resection and temp. ileostomy (Say hello to Norman!): Nov 2012
Current Medication: NONE!

Past medications: Humira, Infliximab, Azapthioprine, Asacol, Budesonide, Prednisolone, Flagyl, Cipro, Cholestyramine (Questran), Fortisips.
02-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #8
Nyx

My Support Groups:
If it's change day, I'll take the whole thing off and just shower with Oscar (my stoma) hanging out. Otherwise, I bathe or shower with the whole thing on and just dry it all with a towel, and if I'm in a hurry I'll use a blowdryer. Or, like Lucinda said, I just put a new dry bag on.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

02-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #9
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I often take it off to shower or in the bath. I know some people find that yucky but my stoma is usually inactive so I don't worry about output being produced in the bath. My stoma nurse said I could dry the bag with a hairdryer, but when I do shower with it on I just let it dry naturally which doesn't seem to take that long, but if I want to get my clothes on quick and it's not yet dry, I tuck one of the dry-wipes (little square cloths my ostomy products supplier sends me - just like babywipes but dry) into my knickers and over the bag to keep my clothes dry.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Showering with your stoma