• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi crohnies

My names Matt and im from the Uk, i'm 16 years old and i was diagnosed when i was 7. I've tried every medicine under the sun and they all worked for a while but sooner or later it was as if my body built up a tolerance to the drugs and they stopped working. Right now i'm on a weekly adalimumab injection and a weekly methotrexate(sp?) injection. I feel great at the moment health wise*touch wood* but my confidence is quite low. Ive always been positive about my condition but now i'm at that age where my friends are going to the pub and having nights on the town. but due to me looking so young and being underweight i cant join them. I'm glad i've found a place like this so i can have a good moan when i'm feeling low and i also look forward to hearing all of your stories :)

Hello Matt and welcome to the forum! There is a lot of info on here and even more wonderful people. Try not to be too hard on yourself for not feeling to confident right now. these conditions can sometimes take a lot out of you, just do the best you are able. I hope that you find this place as helpful as i have.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hey Matt welcome!!! Yes this disease is hard enough for those who have it in the distant years. There are alot of young people here. They can help you. Just a word of caution, drinking is hard on the gut, especially being on Methotrexate. Can harm your liver fast. Google it about drinking.

There is another Crohnie on here with both drugs you are on but he hasnt been on here for months so maybe he is doing very well on it. He was last I heard from him. Glad you found us, lots of people here to welcome you!

Astra

Hi Matt
and welcome fellow Brit! (where are you?)

Yes you have had a tough time and now you're at the age of wanting to go out and party! Being a Crohnie shouldn't stop you from leading an active 'normal' life!
My advice? Get your mates round to your place and talk to them, tell them how you feel, it's the not knowing that confuses people, once they know the ins and outs of being a Crohnie, they'll know what to do, then get some beers in, play on your x box and have a laugh! Then invite them again.
Your confidence will come with maturity, and you'll do fine on your meds.
As regards to being underweight, there are lots of tips on here how to gain weight, and diets too.
Good luck Matt, see you around the forum, and feel free to vent all you want!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thank you all for the speedy replys and your advice. Jettalady thanks for the advice about drinking on methatrexate, my doctor mentioned that too :). I know not to drink alot whilst being on the injections but i'm more upset that i dont have the option of joining my friends when they go because i look very young. And astra101 i am also from st helens. I live in the windle/eccleston area. Nice to see there is a fellow saint on this forum :)

Yeah I was totally in your shoes when I was 16, never even bothered to try getting into places because I knew it would be a lost cause, so it was a lot of drinking at house parties and I made up for it when I turned 18 lol Hmm maybe not the brightest of my decisions considering I was on methatrexate at the time, and because of my flareup haven't touched the stuff in about a yr and half.
Which is pretty much worse than when I was 16 cus now my friends are all uni students and drinking is all they ever do lol. Like Astra said though, I've explained whats going on to my mates ages ago which makes things wayy easier, dunno if its different for guys talking about this kinda stuff but a lot of my guy mates who know are brilliant. :)

Hi Matt,
Don't beat yourself up about the confidence thing. Confidence is something that grows with age and I think it's hard just being a teen, never mind being a teen with Crohn's so be proud that you're dealing with this. As regards treatments...there are new things being developed all the time - you will be ok. Have you seen this programme about new treatments? Here's the link to paste:-

http://www.communitychannel.org/index.php?option=com_rnvideoarchive&task=view&vidclip=275&Itemid=139

Gail
x

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

Your mates probably have no idea how you feel and how your crohns really affects you. I used to hate saying no to nights out so I started to keep it all to myself and I think it made my friends scared to ask!

You could be the one to arrange something that you know you'll manage, then it will only be the odd night out that you miss and you won't notice as much.

I'm in St Helens too! Joan, I live in Haresfinch! Must be something in the water eh ;)

Lyndsey xx