• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

After surgery

Hi all was wondering if someone could help!

After 6 years of suffering with crohn's and never being able to keep it under control with medication I have had to have surgery! The surgery was 5 weeks ago and I had a foot of damaged illeum removed through keyhole surgery. I am no longer in pain from the surgery and back to a normal diet about 3 weeks ago but I am still suffering severly with VERY lose bowel movements and urgency, also I still have alot of usual crohn's pain, especially pain when needing the loo!!! I still haven't seen the surgeon so I'm not sure if they removed all of the damaged bowel of if they just removed the narrowed part and left the ulcerated part ( as the last colonosopy I had done showed there was nearly 3 foot of damage and u couldt have repairative bowel surger, which I have had) and I'm not sure if this is normal after surgery!

How long should it take roughly for you bowels to go back to normal, have any of you had any stmptoms similar? I would be greatful for you comments xx

Hi Lottie,
First off, welcome to the forum. I went about 2 weeks before having a "normal for me" bowel movement. Mine have been loose to semi-solid for years before, and continue to be so years after my surgery. Hopefully your symptoms calm down and even disappear shortly. Good luck and best of health.

Nyx

My doctor said to give my guts 6 to 8 weeks to return to normal. Mine actually only took about 3 weeks, but everyone's different.

Welcome, and good luck!

Astra

Hi Lottie
and welcome

I haven't had Crohns surgery, but I had a hysterectomy 9 years ago, and a laparoscopy for some bladder problems, and it took about 2 months or so for my bowels to return to some normality, I was quite loose for some time. I know its not the same surgery, but my bowels were 'moved out the way' to access the lady bits behind them! I was warned to expect some difficulties after. And Yes, I did!
give it a little bit longer, and if you're still concerned, give your doc a ring to put your mind at rest.
glad you found us, plenty of people to support you and advise
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Hi guys and thanks for the welcome!! Thanks alot for your responses, I really do hope it is just my bowels settling from the surgery, I will be devestated if I have been through all this for nothing. I have suffered constantly, every day for the past 6 years and was really hoping this emergency surgery would be it (well for a year of so at least)!!! Thanks for the support all x

Hey Lottie, Ive been diagnosed with crohn's disease in 06, had surgery in 07, til this day my i run to the bathroom the least 2xs the most maybe 10xs...surgery is not a cure so nobody an really say if i will stop. the most probably is that u will goin remission... i havent had luch yet and its been 3 yrs they took a foot also.... soidk but best of luck to u

Hi Lottie. I had ileocecal surgery about 3 months ago, and my stools are still semi loose. What I got from my doctor is that if you take a part of the ileum you may have loose stools for life as this is the part that absorbs bile. It all depends on how much of the ileum they took out and how your body adjusts.