• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN and asthma anyone?

Hi All

I am thinking about trying LDN. The problem is I am very sensitive to medications of all kinds. The only medication I was ever on for Crohn's was prednisolone, years ago, and it was only for a short while, as I could not tolerate it. Since then I managed the illness through diet.

The other complication is that I have asthma, and some chemicals and medications can trigger severe asthma attacks.
Is there anyone who is taking LDN and has asthma?

I have read some people suffer sleep disturbances/insomnia when on LDN. Is the opposite ever true, i.e. that some people might find they sleep more heavily when taking it? If so, this would concern me greatly, as I often have asthma attacks at night. Fortunately I always awaken easily so I can use my inhaler or nebuliser. But I would not want to take anything that might make me sleep more heavily as it could be potentially dangerous to sleep through the early warning signs of an asthma attack.

The other thing I would like to ask, is whether when people are on LDN they find they can give up their special diets, such as the low residue diet, the SCD diet etc.

Also, I have many food allergies; has anyone found their allergies have greatly improved when on LDN ? If so, why do they think this is?

Many thanx:)

I do not know how much affect LDN has on food allergies. My bad reactions to Onions and Malt have not changed since using LDN.

My hay fever, which I now believe was caused by mold has not been a factor for over two years. This could be for several reasons and I cannot say LDN is the reason, because I also did a homeopathic treatment for mold, and my symptoms have not been present since. It also could be that I have not encountered a bad year for mold, or the symptoms simply went away on their own.

I have no special diet other than I avoid Milk, just because I do not think it has any real benefits. and may harbor the MAP bacteria which has been implicated as a possible Crohn's related bacteria.

I also avoid Onions and Malt since I do not tolerate those two items. Other than that, I just eat a high protein, healthy diet. Little processed foods, little sugar.

Others may have a clearer picture on this. Below is a database of user reports on LDN and how it affects allergies and Asthma. Not a lot of reports, but better than nothing.

https://ldndatabase.dabbledb.com/page/other/FVpXwiqs#

Dan

Many thanks for that Dan, it was very helpful. I think I will do some more reading before I decide to take LDN.

I was interested to see some people in the table you sent me the link for, actually felt better taking LDN in the daytime. So that might be worth me considering as possibly a safer way re: the asthma.

Kev

Another tack you can try is to check out the manufacturers website for Naltrexone and see what/any/all of the side effects, interactions, etc., they list. Thing of it is that ANY they list would be for the much higher 'typical' dosage, or the even higher doses used in the original clinical trials... But, it is a good starting point, and better to know beforehand what you might be facing. Having said all that, I have been on LDN well over 2 years now, have had no worrisome side effects (the sleeping disruptions, if you want to call them that, were actually just very vivid dreams, and all of them were extremely pleasant)..
unfortunately, they did not last long enough... As for dietary issues, I still do follow the diet (for the most part, I'm not 'fanatical' about it) an IBD trained nutritionist set out for me... MOSTLY because I saw the logic of giving my GI tract the benefits of it.... in other words, comparing my ravaged guts to worn old tires, there is simply no benefit to taking hi speed turns at 120 MPH with worn tires. Figured my guts deserved as much of a break as possible.. AND.. what if the LDN stopped working???? Long story short, why rock the boat? A healthy (for people with crohns) diet just seems an eminently sensible course to follow.